making yougert

Old 01-31-2010, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

caves with pilot lights? lol
Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 PM

we were a very progressive group of cave women. i'm older than i apprear. :mrgreen: picky, picky. :roll:
Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 PM

I use a yogurt maker. I take 1/2 gallon of skim milk pour it in a pot and put a thermometer in it. I heat it to between 180º and 185º and take the pot off the stove and stick it in cold water in the sink (the pot, not the milk :-P ). When it's at 125º I put in 1/2 cup of dried milk and two packets of yógourmet yogurt starter. Then I spoon it into the jars and turn on my yougurt Waring Pro yougurt maker for 12 hours. This keeps it at a constant temperature so I don't have to worry about it. After 12 hours the machine beeps 3 times and I put the yogurt in the fridge. It's easy peasy and I have smoothies for breakfast each morning and don't have to wonder about chemical or sugar additives from a store brand. :thumbup:
Old 02-02-2010, 05:59 PM

ngreat i made some last night and put it in myoven with the light on and the pilot light is there and it kept a constant 100 degrees.
tll me how you made your smoothies, i am interested in that
thanks again
Old 02-02-2010, 06:00 PM

and by the way the yougurt turned out perfect.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 AM

I forgot to say *IMPORTANT* that you're supposed to keep the temperature always above 110º (that's why the yogurt machine is so handy since you don't have to worry about that part).

The smoothies I make go like this: 1 cup of yogurt, a whole bunch of fruit (strawberries, mixed frozen berries, blueberries - frozen or fresh or bananas), ground flax seeds (I have a coffee grinder for them next to the blender), a scoop of protein powder (I use GNC's chocolate Whey protein but you can get it at the grocery store and you can use Soy protein too), a couple oz. of water to make it grind smoothly and some ice.

You can also use honey as a sweetener; my Mom likes that. You don't have to use protein powder but I think it makes it more filling. Flax seeds are good for you and this is an easy way to add them to your diet - they add a nutty flavor.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

I've been making yogurt for a while now. It's very easy, and much better for you than the store-bought kind that is full of sugar and preservatives. Unfortunately, I recently discovered that I'm not allowed to eat yogurt due to health reasons :(

I have the following yogurt maker sitting around if anyone would like to trade some fabric for it. It's gently used, but it works fine, and since I can't use it anymore, it would be nice to have it go to a good home :)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM

I make yogurt all the time! It's very easy, and cost so much less! It all started when I wanted to have greek style yogurt and the cost was 4.89 a lb!That's 1.22 a serving!!!! a gallon of fat free milk costs 1.50.
Okay here's what you need:
1 deep pot, with lid to fit ( like a stock pot) for the milk, 1 gallon.
1 bigger, deeper pot for the pot of milk to fit into along with water ( double boiler)
candy thermometer,
LOTS of ice, use outside ice if you live in the colder climes.... ( I use those freeze pops.( otter pops)..you just re-freeze them,)
heavy bath towel ( complete covers your stock pot)
heating pad
1 gallon of fat free milk ( not skim, it makes it grainy...)
1 6 oz. container of PLAIN yogurt with active cultures, no sweeteners, no flavors.
Here's how you make it:
put enough water in the largest kettle to come halfway up the stockpot ( full of milk) but not enough to make it float , or you'll lose all your hard work.
put both kettles on the stove, clip the thermometer on the inside of the kettle with the milk in it; I use high heat, because I'm inpatient, stirring occasionally, bring to 180*.
fill your sink half full COLD water, place kettle of 180* milk in the water, add ice, bring temperature to 110*, take 8 oz of your awrmed milk and add the yogurt to it to temper it, pour tempered yogurt back in to 110* milk, stir until combned.
place stockpot on heating pad, cover with the lid and the towel, wrapping the towel around the kettle to completely cover it. turn the heating pad on and leave undisturbed for 6-12 hours, depending on how tangy you like your yogurt.
Refrigerate for up to 14 days, if your frig is very cold it'll keep a little longer..
I like to strain it through a clean muslin bag hanging from the cupboard for 2 hours or so,with a bowl under it; I like it very thick, like cheese.
Add your own mix ins, and Viola' . Good luck!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ritamaew
I foung the info

crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

Rita

Tell me how it turns out
I've made it this way many times, and it always turns out perfect. And it is SO easy!!!