Manogram Question?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Default Manogram Question?

Hey, I have had a 6 of these over the past years, but I have not had this happen before... anyone else out there have the itcty boob/nipple thing going on after a mamogram? And if so what the heck did you do to calm it down. I have tried all my tricks
Sorry if this is an off limits request, but I can't get in touch with my best friend the nurse, lol.
Thanks MisDixie
Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM

I never had any itching but plenty of pain. My MD thought I was exaggerating until he saw I actually had bruising once. And then realized I kept having them the week before my period.

It if is an allergic type reaction I would recommend taking a Benadryl (sp) tablet.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 PM

Oh, pain, yes been there and did that, and in the past I did get some bruising. I am past the period years ago, so I don't know what this itching is about. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. I do have skin allergys and I didn't think about that. Thanks for the input quitltingcandy. Oatmeal baths and creams on the adgenda! Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM

I have had some itching in the past and kind of figured it could be because the skin is stretched so much it makes tiny tears which cause the itch. Hydrocortizone cream fixed me up in no time,. Benadryl would probably help too.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:26 PM

You are probably suffering an allergic reaction to the what ever they use to clean the machine between patients. You can try some Benadryl (if you aren't allergic to it) and some cortisone cream or anti itch cream to your breast and nipple. If it continues or a rash occurs, I would contact your doctor.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 AM

I Was in so much pain, with bruising, that I only have dopplers or ultrasound thingies now...
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
You are probably suffering an allergic reaction to the what ever they use to clean the machine between patients. You can try some Benadryl (if you aren't allergic to it) and some cortisone cream or anti itch cream to your breast and nipple. If it continues or a rash occurs, I would contact your doctor.
Or maybe the little sticky things they put on your nipples.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by MisDixie View Post
Oh, pain, yes been there and did that, and in the past I did get some bruising. I am past the period years ago, so I don't know what this itching is about. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. I do have skin allergys and I didn't think about that. Thanks for the input quitltingcandy. Oatmeal baths and creams on the adgenda! Thanks
The fact that you mention it's been going on for 6 weeks is a bit alarming. Have you heard from your mammography center, the doctor or nurse, or any other followup since the exam? If not please follow up with them to get your results right away.
Other things to look at:
Have you changed laundry detergent, skin soap, shampoo, or body cremes in the past 2 months?
Are you using dryer sheets or other softener?
Has your diet changed to include more dairy than usual?
Is the type of heat in your house different than last winter?
All could cause allergy/sensitivity reactions and can be handled as previously mentioned.

Good luck in this interesting investigation.
Jan in VA
Old 01-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I would call them or your Doctor and ask some questions. six weeks is too long.
for itching i use Cortizone 10 cream or ointment.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Jan in VA you hit it. Change in detergent just before the mamogram and then a new to me body wash.
Duh! I know better than that.
I have done the oatmeal bath, benadryl and some cream. Much better all ready. Also have a call into the unit that takes the x-ray to find out what they use to clean the machine.
Thanks all.
MisDixie