Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mare update--to start a post >

Mare update--to start a post

Mare update--to start a post

Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 AM

I think I'm beginning to realize just how exciting this all is. I keep checking to see about progress...it seems like every 15 minutes or so. :roll: Can't wait to see pictures!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 AM

ALWAYS remember! God only asked that we make a JOYFUL noise ... He never specified tone or tune or pitch <g> .... make your heart happy, and the joyful noise will make the world a better place!

Did I read that most baby horses are born in the day time? (gentle hint, Gypsy) <g>
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

Terri, I woke up, had my coffee, puttered, sat down to check on Gypsy...and what is the FIRST thing I see??? :shock: :shock: now I have that song in my head again :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Karla, I can't believe Gypsy hasn't foaled!!!! Come On Gypsy!!!!! I am singing my heart out!!!! It's time now!!!! :D :D :D
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 AM

Between this post, my calves in the burn pasture bawling for their moms (weaning) and their moms outside my living room window bawling for their calves (bags are full) .... I have worn a path through the bunkhouse keeping my eye on you all! (Too bad I can't lose weight with all this stress and extra exercise)!
Count to ten and go check it out again... <g>
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 AM

I can't tell you how frustrated I am!! :?
I love my job--after 10 days off I'm ready to go back. I've spent the last 10 days staring at a horse all hours of the day and night, too foggy headed to accomplish much else--esp. quilting.

I thought taking a half day would be fine--and I was content enough with that, but then Gypsy gives me that bit of doubt and I change it to a whole day. Her foalings are a bit more complicated because I have to break the cord and although my dad is willing, I just felt I should be here.

And she does nothing. Nothing.

Bag's hard yesterday at 2, and 4, and 6, and 8...I stay up to watch her--got out at 1:30 to check--bag's softer. Bag's harder at 5:30 AM--check at 11--bag's softer.

I can't stand it.

PS--omak--I hate weaning...I do it gradually so they hardly notice. :wink:

Can we see pics of your animals? How many calves are there? Start a separate post though--no one will see them buried here.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 AM

Okay... now, I need a biology lesson ...
The foal is born fine, but the cord has to be cut ...
As I understand the purpose of the cord is to deliver oxygen between baby and mom ... after birth, the cord pulses for awhile, during which time baby is "practicing" breathing. By the time the cord stops pulsing, it has started drying up ... and as the baby practices standing, etc ... the cord will break apart ... for a few days it is long and unsightly, but as long as it is drying, there are no germs getting in, and the "stub" falls off ...

Now, that is cattle and human babies... why are horses, different?

(I have a rather limited view of the world, dont I? LOL)
Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum

PS--omak--I hate weaning...I do it gradually so they hardly notice. :wink:

Can we see pics of your animals? How many calves are there? Start a separate post though--no one will see them buried here.
If I knew how to send pictures, or even take them, you could have pictures, but there are so few animals, it is almost boring! Currently, I have two calves weaning ... three calves to be born between today and August somewhere -- I was goofing around and figured since I was so small an operator, it wouldn't make any difference, get the cow bred as I got to it ... WRONG! But, we manage. Usually, we wean next to each other's field, but because of the current situation, we have had to separate them two fields apart ... even when the mom was right next door, I listened to three days of bellowing, bawling, lowing ... just comes with the territory.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM

Well--with Gypsy--as soon as the foal has been born, and she stands, her placenta literally falls out of her, this results in the umbilical cord not having a chance to break naturally. I simply feel for the weak spot about 3-4" from the baby's belly--and gently knead it until it breaks. They are not to be cut due to the possibility of excessive bleeding.

Chloe doesn't have this issue. Her placenta departs slowly as it should. I tie it into knots or up with baler twine so the weight of it helps it to finish its exit. Plus--it's necessary to keep it off the stall floor so niether she nor her foal slip on it and so it doesn't tear out.

It's vital to horses than the entire placenta is expelled, for if even a 1/4" is left in her, a terrible infection can result. I save the placenta in a bucket with water until the vet comes. We lay it out on the cement pad outside the barn to check to see it's all there.

I know with cows it's not as vital an issue.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM

OIC ... cows have the placenta issue, also. A complete clean out is mandatory for all God's creations, it seems.
I imagine the big factor must be her being a miniature ...
the more hybrid an animal is, the more you have to pay attention ... letting nature take its course isn't as easy with miniatures.
This is why we don't run sheep .... waaay too much hands on!
Thank you for the education.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 AM

:D You do realize that I am helping you pass the time by doing what you do best ... or, very well, anyway ... teaching! Right?
For myself, if I have to answer questions, I start thinking of things I hadn't thought of for a long time, little tips from my dad, or a friend, or a book I read ....
I would tell you to hang in there, but I know you have already tied the knot at the end of the rope and are hanging as much as possible.