Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Math classes

Power Poster

Math classes

Way back when, we learned "arithmetic" in grades 1-6 (no kindergarden then, either), and then we got to be "big kids" and could take "math" in grades 7-12.

I went back to our local community college when I was "mature" - I was a peer tutor - and when I was tutoring someone at a "lower level" - I learned that the method that I knew of how to solve a problem did not match the method that he was learning.

So I asked the instructors if I could sit in on those classes. WOW! I learned SOOO MUCH in them - it was either never taught way back when - or I was absent those days - which were many.

Math really is useful -

Hardly anyone will admit to being illiterate when it comes to reading - even though a lot of people are.

It seems odd that some people almost brag about being functionally illiterate in basic arithmetic/math.

Or - I don't need to know anything about it - I have a calculator to do the work.

It's still helpful to know WHICH buttons to press to get an answer that makes sense!

Power Poster
    I am math challenged. I can do the basics but algebra is a mystery and at this point in my life I don't see that changing. Am I proud of that fact? No but I have learned to stop beating myself up about it. We are all gifted in different ways.

Blog Entries
    I tended to hate math but found everyone learns in different ways. Once a teacher sat with me and explained a problem in a different way than before and a light bulb went off. Duh! of course, that's it. Since then I've explained things in what ever way necessary to get it across. Works well. We all are different.

Power Poster
    In 9th grade (I think), I sat through a whole year of trig - and got absolutely NOTHING out of it. I tried to read the book - NOTHING clicked. The instructor - was, for me, a complete dud.

Many years later, one of the engineers at a place I worked at spent about 20 minutes explaining the basic idea (with a circle and triangles) and then the basic idea clicked. A few years later another student (at the community college) explained SAH-COH-TOA - and another light bulb went on. Can I use trig well? No - but at least I have an idea of how it works.

I use my calculator to pull up the angles for the Triangle in a Square units.(Peaky and Spike as Doreen Speckmann called the unit.)

I continue to have those AHA!!!! moments - when I could use a concept - but then when I UNDERSTOOD the concept! - that is such a joy when that happens.

I hated math all through high school because it made no sense and I didn't see the point in learning it......so of course, I grew up and found that I LOVE teaching math! Because of quilting (really because I never met a pattern that I didn't need to alter in some way!) math makes sense to me. And because of my bad experiences learning it, I teach everything that I can in at least two ways----and tell my students to pick the one that makes the most sense to their brains, because all brains work differently! All of what everybody said resonates with me.....I think sometimes our brains need to mature before we really understand things......
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

I LOVE math!! I love the numbers and I love the processes! My favorite subjects in school were Math and English - which was odd because it's usually Math and Science - English and History. My career turned out to be budgets/grants/contracts. I retired from that and, after a little over 3 years, went back to work full time. I'm a bookkeeper - math rules :-) It also helps in quilting!!! LOL
    Debbie in Kentucky
    kydeb.wordpress.com

Every time you turn around they are using a different method to accomplish the same goal!

I don't see what the big deal is about which method is used, as long as the answer is correct. Some kids, young and old, seem to "get" the math in different ways (methods). Now, I LOVE math, it might take me a minute to get the answer, but I love the calculations, don't know why, but there it is.
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    Method doesn't matter, just so you know how to get the answer without a calculator. One should at least be able to figure simple percentages, division, etc. so you can make sure you can figure the best deal and that you aren't being cheated at the cash register. I've had many clerks at stores who couldn't tell if they were figuring 40% off, or even 50% off correctly. So sad. Math is a good thing!
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Geometry was always my favorite; I could just "see" it.

When I discovered quilting almost 40 years later, I was so excited because all that geometry came back to me and was so wonderful!

Blog Entries
    I loved math in school, found out how little I knew trying to help my kids with theirs, and majored in math in college so I had the learn the new way, then took a 6 month vacation, had a stroke, so now I only know enough to quilt and I am fine with that. (My DD's helped me relearn it.)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

AGREE! Math in my school days was so simple but the NEW MATH that my grandchildren are doing I can't make heads or tails out of. Some teachers let it go as long as you get the right answer but others really push it and make it frustrating.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I had to laugh.. I sometimes struggle with basic math (with an automatic duh after I solve it!LOL), but give me algebra, trig and I have the problem solved.
    Just amazing how our brains perceive things and retain things in life ... just amazing !!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Either you do or you don't. I did until I hit three dimensional geometry and Calculus II in college. Then I "didn't" in a big way. Both of my children added a third dimension: "don't want to."

I insisted and they learned math. One is a data and data systems analyst and the other is a mechanical engineer. Everyone lived through the process but one has a horizontally split wooden spoon I gilded and framed over the word, "Believe." It is on his wall, over his desk. We will not discuss exactly how the split happened. The other child often tells me how glad she is that I was "hard as..." about "things."

If you can handle math and English as well as determined (read that last in all caps.), you can rule the world. Or at least eat regularly. In the meantime, use what you "do get" and enjoy it.

Pat

Oops, gotta go to Sam's. Kitty litter run.

DD is a physics major and she's taking Calculus 1 & 2 this summer! I don't envy her! DH balances the checkbook (I just write in the amounts, he does the calculations). I barely passed math in high school (D- in all the math classes I took) and hate math to this day! Thank goodness for calculators, husbands who are engineers and daughters who are physics majors! LOL
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I have a son who loved math! In fact he had learned his multiplication tables before kindergarten! In grade school he was a peer tutor! Tutoring continued in High School, and in College he was working on becoming a math teacher. Things kin of went sideways and he got his degree in Music/arranging and composing. Now he's back in school finishing his degree in Math!

Blog Entries
    I never liked math and probably never will at this point but - I make myself do adding, subtracting, multiplication, and division with paper and pencil just to keep in practice. For math problems in quilting, I draw it out on paper. Works for me.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My cousin's daughter's math teacher also teaches science and Home-Ec. Small/medium sized town where those classes have 100% attendance rate. They are also involved in 4H,FHA, and FFA.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    My cousin's daughter's math teacher also teaches science and Home-Ec. Small/medium sized town where those classes have 100% attendance rate. They are also involved in 4H,FHA, and FFA.
    Math, science, and home-ec actually do go together.

My Mom frequently referred to her recipes as "formulas" -

There have been a lot of math related questions on this board - so that shows that there is/was a need/use for knowing math.

Calculators are helpful and useful - but one still needs to know which buttons to press to get a reasonable answer.