Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
May I ask a hat question here? >

May I ask a hat question here?

May I ask a hat question here?

Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 PM

More - I think companies who started that "dress down Friday" did a lot of damage to society.
Dodee
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dodee
More - I think companies who started that "dress down Friday" did a lot of damage to society.
Dodee
I agree.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:48 PM

I have a friend who had a Royal Wedding pj party for women only and they attired themselves with their new silk jammies and hats and they had a hoot - just to show it can be made fun. Hats are the in thing over there; can you ever remember seeing Queen Elizabeth without a hat on? Never! It is part of their attire when in public.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Seems to me in the US these days in some churches you're more likely to spot a Hooter's t-shirt than a hat.

My maternal grandparents were milliners in the first half of the 20th century, starting in an era when no self-respecting person of any age would go outdoors bare-headed. When I was growing up in Kansas women and girls still generally wore hats and gloves to church and some wore them for shopping, in restaurants and to club meetings and such - any time the other ladies might see you and think less of you if you didn't try to look prim and stylish. It was understood that as an expression of individuality a well chosen hat is hard to beat.

Is this just me? When I watch old movies I have the impression that hats on both men and women made them look older than they were.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 PM

The fasinators were interesting but I thought the ladies who wore the huge hats no one could see around were the worst in being considerate of others. All in all I think it was a nice affair and the bridel couple looked perfect. Take care.
Linda
Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen's violets
Originally Posted by Dodee
Dodee
I agree.
I don't understand how that can possibly be true.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree, they were awful..Also was pleased with Camilla's hat, covered her face too much. I love hats but lets get real for the occasion. I don't think it mattered to the bride and groom, those wearing the funcky hats it just there way of being noticed since they aren't otherwise.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by gwena
I agree, they were awful..Also was pleased with Camilla's hat, covered her face too much. I love hats but lets get real for the occasion. I don't think it mattered to the bride and groom, those wearing the funcky hats it just there way of being noticed since they aren't otherwise.
You may want to read the rest of this thread before you say such things about people and a culture you don't know.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:39 PM

To secure a fascinator or other hat, start with a tight pincurl. Look inside the hat...most of them have loops or a comb inside. Simply slide the comb firmly under the pincurl, add a couple of discreet bobby pins and your done!
With hat pins, you start with the same pincurl, but pin throught the hat, the pincurl and back out with the hat pin! Voila!!!
NOW you are Styling!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:44 PM

hats are very British ... my mother came to the US in her teens and ALWAYS wore a hat saying they are a sign of respect ... as children, we did too ... wish Americans would dress a bit nicer for church, weddings and funerals ... where do they think they are going ... am always shocked to see jeans and sandals ... of course you would never see me in heels the height Victoria Beckham wears ... but she is pregnant and has raging hormones!!! ;-)