Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack will wear stripes and have a number

Our DARLING--NOT! was naughty today. We left our poodle mix in his cage while we went to the drs. I had planned ahead and put a towel inside with a chewy, his water and a toy. I placed this on another towel in case of accidents and moved him to the middle of the living room.
    We got home to discover---that he moved the kennel to the side of the room, pulled up the towel that was underneath the kennel, shredded it completely and peed all over it. The dog bed (which belongs to our OTHER dog) started out about 50 inches from the cage, but he had reached it, pulled it into the kennel and chewed holes around the padded outside of the bed. His toy bear ended up in his water dish which was attached to the side of the cage.
    My heart was beating heavily, my breathing was strained. I'm sure that explains why my blood pressure has gone thru the roof.-------I glared at him, explaining in every way I could that was BAD! ...He jumped on my lap, twisted, fell back on my chest with his head tilted, gave me a kiss, then fell asleep!! --- Or LORD, please give me patience. Any suggestions out there on how I can TRUST this DEVIL with HORNS???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh my what a little stinker! Can you put him in the bathroom or a porch while you are gone? Sounds like he was determined.

My dh suggested putting him in the kitchen...I do not TRUST him not to claw up the oad cabinets. We HAD used one of those gates, he jumped over within 5 minutes - then I put the second one above it - he got over---- it was nearly 6 feet tall!! He is skin and bones - I wanna know where his muscles are! He is "hercules, hercules" I MAY put his kennel outside (maybe he can dig up some of our Missouri rocks!)

When i lived in New York we had a toy poodle we learnd that they can have issues about being locked up in a cage, she destroyed the carpet where she sat...

Blog Entries
    We had the same problem with our beagle when we first got her. I think she was having panic attacks cause she didn't like being left alone. We'd have to force her into the crate, then she'd try to chew her way out. Also had trouble with her scooting it across the room. And she was able to pull a quilt (store bought) through the crate and chew off the corner. So we decided to get another dog. Now she's happy to go into the crate with her new friend and no more panic attacks.

Blog Entries
    DON'T lock him in the bathroom. When my corgi was a puppy we used the bathroom as her "kennel" by putting a baby gate at the door. One day (the night before my Father-in-law passed away no less) she chewed through the water line that led to the toilet. We came home to spraying water. It was on the 2nd floor and the water ran through the air ducts down to the bottom floor. It was 11:00 at night but we still went to the neighbor and woke him up to borrow his shop vac. thank goodness for good friends !! If you don't already have it, get one of the older style kennels with the plastic body and metal bar "windows" and door for the dog. that may contain him better and not allow him to reach things outside the cage.

Blog Entries
    Just look at that face, momma, she is so adorable. You can't stay mad long. I had a poodle for 14 years. She was my first child. Never gave me a bit of trouble. I didn't put her in a kennel. When she was young we put up a baby gate at the open laundry room door and she stayed there until we came home from work.

Raney Rae - Oct. 1988 to May 2002.

Ooh, yes. Parker was our little escape artist / re-decorator in the beginning. She would kick out the tray at the bottom of the crate, then scoot (or roll - yes, roll) herself around the kitchen. She managed to get out once by rolling until the crate was upside-down, at which time she could get the latches unhinged.

My husband basically bolted the tray to the bottom of the crate and that stopped any traveling. She still destroys anything we leave in there with her (or that she can pull inside) but that, we can live with. For now.

That tray started out in her crate. The blanket did not. This is ten feet from where she started and the entire floor was clean when we left..
    Name:  Attachment-192832.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  75.6 KB

A close up of Parker's craft project. Yes, the crate is upside down. The blue towel was hers. The fluff came from the one that wasn't.
    Name:  Attachment-192834.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  108.5 KB

our crate has a plastic tray beneath it. Or make a floor underneath the kennel. He won't be able to get footing on the floor.
    Has he always been like this?
    My toy poodle is well behaved but her BFF is a devil too. She littered the house with tissues while we were gone for 30 mins.
    She was not contained, but the house was "secured" except the kleenex box. So I guess my mess was my fault. lol

sounds like she has a bit of separation anxiety...I have no suggestions, prehaps speak to your vet? He may have some suggestions...

good luck

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I don't know but what a sweet face!! (don't hit me lol) :D:D

Oh thank you everyone for sharing your stories. Please tell me there is hope - I love that hellian but do not want my house destroyed. JulieR those pictures look awfully familiar - I laughed (sorry but I can relate) gunny - carpeting torn up?? I just can see him doing that. $#@! Jill - are you referring to the pet carrier? Chewed up water line??Oh noooooooo. Thanks for telling me - I WAS thinking of putting him in the bathroom - but now - no thank you!
    jacqui - we have had him for about 3 weeks now - he was a stray that either showed up or was dropped off. Ours has a try too - he just pushes it out!
    Oh it really helps hearing from you all! I am not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Oh thank you everyone for sharing your stories. Please tell me there is hope - I love that hellian but do not want my house destroyed. JulieR those pictures look awfully familiar - I laughed (sorry but I can relate) gunny - carpeting torn up?? I just can see him doing that. $#@! Jill - are you referring to the pet carrier? Chewed up water line??Oh noooooooo. Thanks for telling me - I WAS thinking of putting him in the bathroom - but now - no thank you!
    jacqui - we have had him for about 3 weeks now - he was a stray that either showed up or was dropped off. Ours has a try too - he just pushes it out!
    Oh it really helps hearing from you all! I am not alone!
    I was hoping you'd get a giggle. What I wouldn't give for a webcam in my kitchen some days!

Since you do have a tray, I'd suggest attaching it to the rest of the crate to make traveling a little tougher. Parker's crate has a latch that keeps the tray in, but she could kick that off and then move the tray out, enabling flight. My husband fixed it by twisty-tying the latch to the rest of the crate. However, if you don't have a latch, our plan B was to drill a couple of small holes in the corners of the tray and tying it to the frame that way.

Or, you could tether the crate to something. That was also an option on the table. LOL

Parker's issue is energy-related: she just has too darned much to spend time in her crate if she hasn't run some of it out first. Could that be the issue with Jack? Does he get loads of exercise before being crated?

I also agree with the separation anxiety suggestion; if it isn't excess energy it could very well be anxiety. Exercise may help with that somewhat as well.

Parker has an empty toilet paper roll now that she pulled out of the upstairs bin. Little bits of it are all over my living room. Sigh.

Somehow, Houdini unlatches the latch, Julie. Drilling holes MIGHT help. We shall "practice" when we are home with our "blue box" that has a high pitched sound that only dogs can hear. Maybe when he gets that feisty look, I can push the button and say NO!!!!!! - what do ya think, might that work?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I visualize a dog crate in the middle of the garage floor with a chain attached to each corner and then attached to something in each corner of the garage....so he can't move the crate or turn it over. No water - not really necessary if you are gone less than 1.5 hours - no soft play toys, no soft towels, mats, pillows, just the bare (easily washable) concrete floor. If there is any way you can rig a security camera - these can be surprisingly cheap -- so you can see what his tricks are and how truly wound up he gets -- it might explain why he went to sleep right away when you arrived home.

Then call the Dog Whisperer!!!

WE treat our pets like they have emotional issues, but they are actually behaving instinctively, and it's up to us to determine how to train them to let go of alpha behavior, agression of fear, other negative things that are in the way of a good relationship with their "leader of the pack" person.

Your dog isn't "getting back at you" for leaving him, he is trying to protect what he perceives as threat to you, his pack.
    You have to teach him YOU are in control, you are the alpha dog, and he obeys YOUR lead, not the other way around.

What a mess for you!! I'd have turned right around and sat in the car and cried!!

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    My poodle is just like Jack! His name is MoeMoe and he ate my entire couch! I came home one day and the arms and the cushions were destroyed. There was no warning! That's the first time I've ever had a dog do that!

When I locked him in the bathroom he went nutso -- I could easily see him eating the pipes.

Blog Entries
    I was referring to a pet carrier type kennel, we used one for my sweet ( :roll: ) little Lucy after she chewed through the water line. We bought a big pet carrier (I mean BIG) so she wasn't cramped and she actually liked it. We put her in there for years after that incident and it was much better than coming home to mayhem and destruction :lol: . Best of luck with the little guy, he's just acting up and you have to let him feel secure but also know that you're the boss, otherwise he's going to be a pill!

She's mellowed a lot!
    Name:  Attachment-192933.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  37.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    Somehow, Houdini unlatches the latch, Julie. Drilling holes MIGHT help. We shall "practice" when we are home with our "blue box" that has a high pitched sound that only dogs can hear. Maybe when he gets that feisty look, I can push the button and say NO!!!!!! - what do ya think, might that work?
    You know, it might, but Jan's right about the Dog Whisperer - Cesar Millan is the best! We would never make it without using his principles.

Can you tie the latch together? (With something he can't chew off? LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by luvnquilt
    I was referring to a pet carrier type kennel, we used one for my sweet ( :roll: ) little Lucy after she chewed through the water line. We bought a big pet carrier (I mean BIG) so she wasn't cramped and she actually liked it. We put her in there for years after that incident and it was much better than coming home to mayhem and destruction :lol: . Best of luck with the little guy, he's just acting up and you have to let him feel secure but also know that you're the boss, otherwise he's going to be a pill!
    Oh, what a sweet face - can't wait for that mellowness to visit our house!

I had 4 toy poodles since 1982 and one was a dumped dog I took in, none of them ever acted like that. Three I got from a breeder at age 6-9 weeks old. The last two were crate trained at that age and never tore up anything inside or outside of the crate.
    The Chihuahua in my avatar I got at about 1 yr. and she has separation issues, will pee in the crate, and has pulled threads on the towels I put in her crate, I have had her a year and she has torn up about 1/2 dozen bath size towels.
    The crates I use is the medium size with a handle on top made for taking them to Vet, etc.made out of plastic with a cage door that latches from the outside , if door is latched they can't get out, could turn it over but, could not get out. With this kind of crate you could set the cage anywhere, maybe in a dark room would calm him. I would not put anything in there with him. Sounds like he has separation problems. Good luck.

The real answer is to get only very young puppies and start them out in a crate.

This is an interesting post for me. Here it is very unusual to crate a dog/cat or use gates inside. I have two dogs one large, one small, if I go out they are put outside in our fenced yard. Generally when I come home, they are lying in our carport waiting for me to drive in. There are rooms inside they are not allowed, but they have been trained to wait at the threshold. Maybe the crate is symbolic of you leaving him, then he gets anxious. Maybe a sedative from the vet may help to aleviate his anxiety and make the crate more bearable, then once he is used to it you could do without the medication.

Blog Entries
    My poodle cannot be in the yard alone because she climbs the fence. Same for he baby gates, she just simply climbs them. I put her in a plastic carrier, but she still makes all kinds of noise. I can't use the water bowl in thew carrier either--last time she put her blanket inside of it. I think they can just be naughty if they want to.

Blog Entries
    I don't believe your sweet faced dog would behave in such away.LOL Sometimes they are sent to trrrrrrry us. Says she who has had a sleepless night because of her papillon who decided he didn't want to sleep last night.

This may sound strange,
    but put his kennel in the shower put him in it and then close the door. He will not be able to move his kennel around the room and if you set everything up high he will not get to chew on anything.
    My little dog likes the shower area. It's her space.

But you have to be careful - she'll try to take a shower with you if your not quick enough to get in. LOL

My absolute favorite dog, who was naughty as well, was named Jack. Maybe it's the name......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast