Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Meniscus Repair..how long did it take to heal? >

Meniscus Repair..how long did it take to heal?

Meniscus Repair..how long did it take to heal?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:43 AM

I had the same surgery as you. I did not go to PT. My doctor told me if I had an exercise bike I could do it at home my self. I didn't have a bike. I went out to the rehab supply store and bought one of those set on the floor cycle type gizmos that you peddle sitting in a chair. After the third day I started using that peddle machine three times a day starting out with a minute each time and increasing the time each day. If you are still in a lot of pain, talk to the doctor. Your body won't heal as well if you are in pain. It takes all it's strength to fight the pain. Ask for some pain medication to help you. You can stop using it when the pain goes away. Eat extra protein. Your body uses protein to build and repair. Be sure to get enough rest, your body heals then as well. When you sit down, prop that leg up and use ice for about 20 min. I hope you have been propping that leg up at night as well. It speeds up the healing and improves the circulation. I have had both knees done and the right one done twice. If you have another one done, please eat extra protein for two weeks prior to your surgery. It helps prepare you body and shortens the healing time. It was on the NBC nightly news segment several years ago. I was 54 when I had the first knee done. Good luck to you. Oh, since you're this far along, start peddling out 5 min three times a day. When in the pool, march, bring those knees up and then straight down. I had no pain after two weeks. Still continued the exercises for 4 more weeks. Elevate those legs and use ice to keep down the swelling, even if you don't see any.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:56 AM

I had the meniscus repaired. Then I had injections. Last year the knee was replaced. I am still having knee trouble. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
Hello! I had a meniscus repair on my right knee on 6/10. I still can't straighten my leg, still walking with one crutch, and having some pain when I try to walk? I had no idea it was going to take this long! How long did yours take? Yes, I am in PT. But it is exhausting just trying to get around!! Feeling sort of low here.
OH NO!!! I'm having this surgery on 7/12 and plan on flying from Pa to Co. on the 20th. My doctor has no problems with this. I must read the rest of the posts and am hoping that others have had less trouble than you.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Very good advice from everyone. Set some goals with you phyical therapist and track your progress as you go through therapy. You may feel like you aren't making any progress but baby steps are important and will help you reach your goals. Good Luck!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Like all the others said, it depends on your surgery on your knee. Everyone is different. PT is important and so is the exercises at home. Ice/heat what ever the Dr. recommends and what helps. How often do you go to the Dr. for follow up? Maybe you need to go back and talk to them again. Meds are important. If you use NSAIDs they reduce inflammation and that is important. If you need to elevate the leg--do so to keep fluid from collecting in the knee. A lot of little things affect the healing. Use pain meds before PT to be able to do the extent of what you can with out pain. You will do better if you are not afraid it will hurt.
Stay positive. Eat right, take your vitamins and it will probably be 6 months before you hit the right strides again. Good Luck. Stay in touch.