Metal roof?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

Default Metal roof?

DH and I are moving into a rent house until we decide where we want to live for good. The house has a metal roof. I have talked to many people that have had metal roofs put on their homes and then find out the cell phone signal will not work at all. It works fine when phone is connected to house wi fi. This is true with our cell phone at the rent house. We have had people over with different carriers and none of them work under the metal roof so it's just not our carrier. So be aware that a metal roof may not work for your cell phone if you don't have wi fi.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

well, i'll be. I live with tons of trees that seem to cause trouble.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:57 PM

My house doesn't even have a metal roof and I have trouble with my cell phone reception! It's been better lately, but in the past I've had to go out in the yard to talk to people on my cell.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

This rental is in the middle of pasture land so trees aren't the problem. The storm shelter next to the house, which is dug into the ground doesn't have a metal roof and phone service is fine in it. Technology is weird.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
DH and I are moving into a rent house until we decide where we want to live for good. The house has a metal roof. I have talked to many people that have had metal roofs put on their homes and then find out the cell phone signal will not work at all. It works fine when phone is connected to house wi fi. This is true with our cell phone at the rent house. We have had people over with different carriers and none of them work under the metal roof so it's just not our carrier. So be aware that a metal roof may not work for your cell phone if you don't have wi fi.
I believe your guests phones will work if you let them have access to your wi-fi.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:39 PM

We had a metal roof put on when we built our house 17 years ago. And we have a lot of trees. Honestly, our cellphone is no problem--older phones were but the newer ones have no problems getting reception. And we live miles and miles from a cell tower. Ours came with a 50 year warranty, which is a lot better than shingles. And snow doesn't lay on it long like it does with shingles. As soon as it starts warming a little, the snow starts sliding off--real fun when you are coming up the steps and it slides down the back of your coat! If we had it to do over, we would stay with the metal roof.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

Don't know about cell service but, a metal roof is expensive but is the best roof one can buy. Most will last at least 50 years. Mike Holmes talked about them a few years ago.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:44 PM

Interesting side effect!
Old 05-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky View Post
We had a metal roof put on when we built our house 17 years ago. And we have a lot of trees. Honestly, our cellphone is no problem--older phones were but the newer ones have no problems getting reception. And we live miles and miles from a cell tower. Ours came with a 50 year warranty, which is a lot better than shingles. And snow doesn't lay on it long like it does with shingles. As soon as it starts warming a little, the snow starts sliding off--real fun when you are coming up the steps and it slides down the back of your coat! If we had it to do over, we would stay with the metal roof.
this is us exactly and I totally will never have other than a metal roof! We have no cell issues either, ditto our tv satellite, radio reception, etc. My DD and DS both have different cell carriers and none of us have problems with our cell phones (3 different carriers). I'm wondering if your phone may be the issue? Or is there something in your neighborhood that may be causing interference? We once lived near the police station and their radio tower caused all sorts of interference in our tv, phones, etc. (would add we've had metal roof for 21 years now--plus we've been hit by a micro tornado with no roof issues--ditto with hail)
Old 05-08-2018, 05:31 PM

I asked my elderly MIL why she kept a folding chair under a tree in the yard. She said it’s the only place she could get a cell phone to work.