MIL's.......

Old 07-24-2013, 07:18 PM

My mother in law harbored many bad feelings about me. She was helping my husband raise his 3 year old daughter. Of course the daughter came to our house to live after we got married I disaplined with love like sitting on chair for 5 minutes or making our daughter go to her room when she was really unruley I also felt that a 2 year old should get potty trained and not have a bottle anymore, These things made me a mean step mom in her eyes and she told me many many times. She caused a lot of truble in our marriage. When our son was born she came to our house and I served her cake and coffee, she sat her and father inllaws dishes on the floor in the living room and left for me to clean up. In her later years she would still tell people I was a bad motherI mean she told everyone my nephews gf even asked me about it 30 years later. When she was sick on 2 diffrent occasions I went and took care of her so she wouldnt have to go to a rest hoom. Later when she got alz. she would refer to me as that women and woiuld say things like I was crazy if I thought that her son was going to marry me. When she had to go to a alz center I would take her out almost every week untill she was to ill. my husband was trucking at the time so I thought it was my duty. Funny thing for her 82 birthday I made her a memory quilt and she loved it so much it was burried with her
Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 AM

My MIL died in 1990 from breast cancer and I miss her still. If ever someone was expressed through the entrance to heaven, it was Mary. She loved me every bit as much as her other three daughters. She raised a son that really knew and practiced how to be a good husband. I loved my mother but I was equally at home at Mary's if not more so.
Since I am now widowed and remarried, I have an equally wonderful husband who had the opposite kind of mother. Apparently she was into mind games. He tells me that when his mother died, his amazing first wife told him that the only reason he was going to the service was to make certain she was really gone. He agreed. So I am really glad that I never met that MIL. DH's first wife surely did a good job on him because he's every bit as good to me as my beloved first husband.
How lucky can an old lady be? Two good men, good kids, grands, a dog and all the fabric I could sew up in two lifetimes!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 AM

mhollifiel, I would say you are one lucky old lady!!! I too had a wonderful MIL, treated me like a daughter, if fact some of the daughters said I was just like her, more so than them.. We had loads of fun and many laughs. I really miss her.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:43 AM

I had a great MIL. She lived with us after her husband pass away. She stayed out of our business and also did her best to help where we needed her. I have 4 children and she helped raise them while I worked. But when I came home it was my job not hers. My husband was their only child and when we got married both of his parents said I was the daughter they would of picked. I felt the same way too. I really try to be like my mother in law with my childrens spouses.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 AM

lol, the fat comments sound just like my MIL ;-)
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 AM

I also have (had?) a wonderful MIL. She was a lovely lady with so many interests, traveled to so many fascinating places, was an accomplished knitter, needlepointer and artist. Sadly, she developed Alzhiemers and doesn't recognize anyone now. My children barely remember the vibrant person she was before and that makes me even sadder.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I agree on the raising of a good man, but I sure wish my MIL would cut the cord. We cannot do anything without DH consulting them and having their praise. He's a good man.. but sigh .. won't go any further on this subject as I may offend !
If you have a good MIL enjoy her to the fullest !
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM

I too had great parents and great in-laws All are gone now as is my husband and both of his siblings. I have one sister-in-law, one sister and three children and many friends. Dated someone for 4 years. He died of a heart attack in January so I am again in charge of planning all my days again.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

I have a great MIL, we go to lunch every Friday and she plays mahjongg with me and my friends. last sat night, my dh went to a hs reunion, I stayed home with mil and friend went to dinner and played rummy cube and trivial pursuit
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
...and some became the men they are in spite of their mother.
Amen to that!