Missing parents

Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 PM

I think it's this time of the year that I miss my parents the most. Remember the end of summer canning and freezing of vegetables as they wrap up and getting ready for the holidays. The smell of freshly cut wood and smoke from the fireplace.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Google Goddess

yes, I sure remember my parents canning things from garden, was alot of work, and sure tasted good in the winter

(love the sweet corn) and we would take green tomatoes wrap in newspaper and put in the attic and by Christmas would have red tomatoes
Old 09-05-2010, 03:03 PM

I never heard of the green tomatoes in newspaper. That is so neat! I just can't even seem to grow decent tomatoes and my parents always had a lot!

We canned a lot of vegetables and made jams and jellies. I don't think many people do that now.
Originally Posted by craftybear
yes, I sure remember my parents canning things from garden, was alot of work, and sure tasted good in the winter

(love the sweet corn) and we would take green tomatoes wrap in newspaper and put in the attic and by Christmas would have red tomatoes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:45 AM

I totally agree. I realize it has only been a couple of months but I thought I was really doing better but for some reason the cooler air, the smell of fall, all of it has me thinking more and more about my dad.

Miss you Dad! :D
Old 09-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
I think it's this time of the year that I miss my parents the most. Remember the end of summer canning and freezing of vegetables as they wrap up and getting ready for the holidays. The smell of freshly cut wood and smoke from the fireplace.
I know just how you feel. It has been a little over 3 years since my Mom passed away and almost 30 years since my Dad died. DH and I were talking earlier about the things we did in the fall of the year. It was hard work but we were all together and had so much fun. We put up hay the old fashioned way--hay shocks thrown onto the wagon and put into the barn by pitchforks. Digging potatoes and putting them into the cellar for winter. I loved seeing all the cans of veggies lined up and waiting to be enjoyed.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 PM

I, too, miss my parents more this time of year. I still love the smell of pickles being made and all of the jams, jellies and sauces were wonderful.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:55 PM

I remember well feeling the Fall chill in the air and coming into Mom's nice warm house with the smell of something good coming from her oven.