Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mom's little white lies....lol >

Mom's little white lies....lol

Mom's little white lies....lol

Old 12-27-2023, 12:27 PM

Default Mom's little white lies....lol

I found this article rather funny. I remember my Mother and Aunts using a few of these lies on us.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...t-newtab-en-us
Old 12-27-2023, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I heard a lot of them from my mother and grandmother. A couple I didn't see on the list was

If you keep hanging upside down your liver will flip over

Quit drinking the olive juice, your guts will stick together.

One that scared me silly when little, if I was bad the old devil would come at night with big hot chain and put it around my neck and drag me away. This was from my grandmother. She was a nice and I loved visiting her which made me believe her.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:37 PM

My grandma used to say if she bought your wart, for a dime, it would go away.

I feel like there were others.... But I remember my mom perpetuating the Santa lie after someone at school told me the truth. When my folks went thru a divorce a few months later, my trust was broken, and I couldn't trust my mom. It was a very hard time for me! I vowed back then I was never going to lie to my kids.

My kids are all adults and my oldest will tell you the three times I've lied to her: once when she ordered 'a lobster and fries, please" at an expensive seafood place, I pointed to the kids fish and chips on the menu and then told my dd that they cooked the lobster differently here, once when we were surprising them with a trip to DisneyWorld, I lied about the dog sitter picking up our dog for a playdate and when she was really little I told my Christmas birthday preschooler that everyone put up lights for her birthday. :P

We never did Santa. They have all told me as teens and young adults that they like knowing I will always tell them the truth about anything they want to know.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

It didn't bother when I found out there was no Santa that brought presents. I was 7. I thought mystery solved! Even after I knew, my mother kept saying Santa was coming. I didn't think of it as lying to me though. I thought Santa was part of Christmas like the reindeer and elves.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:27 AM

My sons are 6.5 years apart in age. My oldest one realized Santa was not Santa when he was about 10. I wanted to keep the magic alive for my 3 year old son, so I told the older one that as long as he kept his mouth shut, Santa would keep bringing HIM presents every year, too. Miraculously, it worked. It was my freaking mother-in-law that spoiled it for my younger son!!! When he was about 6 or 7, she said to him "You don't still believe in Santa, do you?" I could have KILLED her. He was so sweet and innocent and believed in anything magical, and I really wanted to keep it that way for as long as I could.

The youngest kids in a family always have the shortest childhoods. 😞😞😞
Old 12-28-2023, 01:17 PM

I liked coffee black, but my grandma kept trying to put cream in mine. She said if I drank too much coffee black it would stunt my growth. At 16 I was 5'8" (grandma and mom were 5'2") Oh, by the way, my grandpa was over 6' and my dad was 6'5".
Eating the crusts was another white lie. No curly hair for me, and 3 brothers didn't have to eat the crust if they didn't want it.
All 3 got curly hair, but I did get even. They were 40 and white haired, and me at 83 still not competely white haired.

Old 12-28-2023, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

My kids knew by third grade there was no Santa that came with gifts but the spirit of Santa was part of Christmas. The oldest knew not to spoil it for the younger. By third grade most all know there is no real Santa and are happy to tell it to those that don't know. Better to explain how you want your children to know before a bratty kid does it for you. They knew the religious part of Christmas and how important it is to our religion.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:02 PM
Power Poster

I don't think my parents ever lied to me, or if they did I never knew it. They told me from a very early age that Santa is "just someone who loves you." I remember when I was around 7, playing with an older girl who asked me if I believed in Santa. I didn't want to disillusion her if she still believed, so rather than answer I asked her if she believed. We went back and forth like that for a while, neither wanting to tell the other there was no Santa. Then we just started talking about something else.