Old threads

Old 12-28-2023, 05:35 AM

Default Old threads

How is it that some threads are brought back up after being created so many years ago?

the most common seem to be the games. Change the first letter

is it just scrolling through old posts?

i am always curious when i see the old things on the board.
and i just commented on one for 2011!!!
Old 12-28-2023, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

Many times I will do an online search for something quilting and a post from here will show up. Usually an old one. That's how a lot of them get bumped up when someone finds it and has a question and someone here will reply. If you open this site page to new posts it shows up on top as a new post.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:57 AM

Besides people doing a search and then commenting, I have seen several old threads bumped to new because of spammers. Sometimes when a spammer posts, someone will not read the whole post and then comment. Sometimes someone will say that they reported the spam and that will keep it as newer post.
Old 12-28-2023, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Threads come to life when there is a new post, whether it be a thread from yesterday or six years ago!

If you don't want the hassle of seeing anything and everything forever and ever, you can use the "Archive" link, as your entry point.

There you will see the threads in chronological order of their start. If you post to the thread, you will receive an auto notice email, when someone posts to it. Or you can "subscribe" to it without making a post, to receive the auto notice, so that you can follow the discussion. If you have no more interest in that thread, the same day or six years from now, you can then unsubscribe, so as not to get the auto notices any longer.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:16 AM

Based on my observations, spam is the #1 cause of old threads being revived.

#2 is new people to the board who were googling for something specific, found something here, joined and commented without noticing the date. Or sometimes they do notice, but believe it's better to comment on an old thread rather than starting a new one. (I personally think it's better to start a new one, because a lot of people read the first post, not the most recent one.)

#3 - Sometimes at the bottom of a thread, there will be a box with suggested threads related to the thread you're currently viewing. There are no date limits on these suggestions, and I think that's another possible way the old threads gain new comments.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
#3 - Sometimes at the bottom of a thread, there will be a box with suggested threads related to the thread you're currently viewing. There are no date limits on these suggestions, and I think that's another possible way the old threads gain new comments.
I've noted that the Related Topics are older and that the newer threads do not have Related Topics.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 12-28-2023 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:25 AM

I have started looking at dates, particularly if there are a couple hundred posts. If I am in a wandering mood, I might look back at some of the old content and have found some real gems. But that is a time burner. Starting a new thread seems more appropriate and useful to us all.