Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mom's Recipe Book

my favorite cookbook is " The Spice Cookbook" which is out of print now. My daughter's love it as well and to save my copy, I searched and found 3 more copies for the oldest daughter's. The two younger are still using Joy of Cooking for the most part. I also had "the Good House Keeping Cookbook" which I gifted to my oldest. She put on FB that it is her go to book for techniques and recipes she is unfamiliar with. I have 6 living children and they all cook, some more than others. My son is a butcher so meat and fish is his domain.

I don't understand not sharing a recipe either. One lady at our church always brought the same dishes to our dinners. She wouldn't share the recipes with anyone that asked. Said they were family recipes and they would be passed down to her girls. She had to move to a care facility and her daughters had her recipe binder in the estate sell. Our church secretary bought it and put it in our church library. You never know what family will do no matter what you plan and think they will do.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

mom had an ancient betty crocker cookbook that she used fairly often. most of her stuff was instinctive, and that's how i learned. she had only a few recipe cards--but for my 20th birthday, she copied them down and gave them to me, along with favorited she had recruited from friends, a couple of months earlier. when i had a few years of cooking under my belt, she gave me a huge turkey roaster for christmas, and pronounced it her exit from the "big holidays", since she and dad were retiring. she never cooked a holiday meal afterwards. (i was an only kid--no one else to wear that chef's hat!) now, i love to cook, and collect cookbooks for fun and reading (i have one from 1915 coming in the mail, right now)--but none of them hold a candle to mom's old betty crocker. (we are from the twin cities, so the ties run deep!)
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

My Mom was an excellent cook, and I learned at her elbow. I have had 3 Resteraunts, (*) and learned to Chef because of the fun she and I always had in the kitchen.

I inherited my mom's handwritten recipe cards, when I moved I gave them to my sister, I only kept 3. She used the Lily Wallace cook book, WW2 edition, has a section on ration cooking! My only cookbook now is a Joy of Cooking.

My dad's mom was a TERRIBLE cook, she used to make Irish Spaghetti - spaghetti with a can of condensed tomato soup on it. She did make wonderful dinner rolls though, they had raisins in them but they weren't sweet rolls. She brought them to every family dinner. Not sure if anyone ever got the recipe, if she had one, before she passed. I have over 20 cousins, so it is possible someone has it.

Blog Entries
    My mother was a secretary in the 1930 s and of course in those days the secretary's had to be able to write shorthand
    She wrote her receipes in shorthand, which neither my sister nor I can read We have kept her book just because it was our mothers

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaiarigby View Post
    My mother was a secretary in the 1930 s and of course in those days the secretary's had to be able to write shorthand
    She wrote her receipes in shorthand, which neither my sister nor I can read We have kept her book just because it was our mothers
    You might be able to have it transcribed. I know that people were still learning shorthand in the USA in the 1970s.

We have DH's grandmother's metal index card box, filled with hand written cards. Many are mixed with English, and German, her first language. Also have MIL's collection of cookbooks, my Mom's books and hand written notes, and tons of old "church" cookbooks. No one wanted them, so I now have, and treasure them!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2