Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mom's Recipe Book

Power Poster

Mom's Recipe Book

My granddaughter (age 25) mentioned Sour Cream Raisin Pie today.

My Mom - known as "Grandma D" - did have a recipe for it. She was a baker of pies, cakes, and cookies at two truckstops - and she had her recipe notebooks - which I now have custody of - for the things she baked. (She also took the recipes home with her at night!)

Actually, her recipes were more like cue cards - because she knew the method - and I am attempting to figure out how she actually made some of these things. Her handwriting was "distinctive" - I think her mind went way faster than her hand! Little details - like pan size, baking temperature and time (she used convection ovens where she worked - so not sure how to convert those temps and times to conventional ovens - even if they had been mentioned!) were not usually included with the ingredient lists.

I can tell which pages were used the most - they are quite spattered!

How do you tell which recipes were used most by your Moms?

Blog Entries
    my mom rarely used a recipe book. and when i asked her for my favorites, it was difficult for her to tell me the amounts as she did most of by looks/habit.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I was raised at my mom's side in the kitchen. She is English/German; her mom did not teach her how to cook. Her mother-in-law, however, was a different story. When mom and dad married, my Italian grandmother (dad's mom) took that young bride under her wing and into her kitchen and taught her how to cook Italian!! It wasn't long before my sister and I came along and mom made sure we knew our way around the kitchen. My mom didn't have many recipes written down; just the various recipes for cheesecakes. Those I still have on splattered index cards!
    I married and have two daughters.....you can rest assured they were raised by my side in the kitchen and both (at 24 and 30) are pretty amazing cooks already!

Blog Entries
    My Mom had a small wooden index card file box that had her recipes in it. She never really said which ones were her most used. Wish I had made more of an effort to find out, as she passed away last month.

My Mom told my sister and I that we had better "learn how to cook" as she was" the worlds WORST cook". I learned and so did my sister.. I made sure to teach my 4 children to cook.

Blog Entries
    My mom had a commercial recipe book, Fanny Farmer, I still have my copy and its my goto for the standard stuff, ie biscuits, pie crust, oatmeal cookies. But she also kept a file box of cards. at the top of the card she denoted who she got the recipe from. I still have the ones she gave me, in her careful penmanship. So I have a collection of recipes from her, my Aunt Doddy , my Gramma Dulmage and my Gramma Boyd. Alas I have no daughters so they will probably stay with me.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Power Poster
    My mother had an old cook book that was missing it's hard cover. It had absolutely everything in it. The recipes are for traditional old fashioned recipes. All of us girls wanted it but my oldest sister found a re- print years later and got us all one for Christmas. It is still my go to book.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My mom followed recipes. I also go by the spatters on the pages and memories of course. There are some recipes I would love to find, I am hoping I have them somewhere.

I never saw a cookbook at home when growing up. A few handwritten recipes exchanged at church were on top of the flour canister.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Cooking was not my mother's long suit, which is probably why I have hundreds of cookbooks and I search the internet for new recipes almost daily. I follow a recipe once and after that I make changes to them. I live with my mother, I do the cooking and she does the dishes. This was her idea.

Over the years there are dishes I just do not use a recipe to make. I also have recipes I will not share with anyone. I still love using "Joy of Cooking" and an Eastern Star Cookbook my grandmother gave me for a shower gift back in 1967 (my favorite -- I had to find a replacement on eBay).
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

My mom was a wonderful cook and many of our standards we just learned no recipes used. However she loved trying new foods so she exchanged recipe cards with friends and family, bought magazines (tastes of home comes to mind) and loved the cookbooks that were created as fund raisers by non profit groups. Her group of ladies LAFRA did a few of them over the years and she had some of her best recipes in them.

I have 2 of the LAFRA books one of them was the prototype it has all the corrections and notes made in it before it was retyped and then printed that one is my favorite. I also have a recipe box that has the hand written cards she collected over the years. You can totally tell the go to recipes they are greases spattered and have notes added to them like, didn't have x used y it was good, or add z for a kick. Those are by far my favorites.

Auroa, I have to ask and please no judgment from me I am just asking because you are the rare person to admitting to not sharing certain recipes most people that don't want to share just avoid it or tell story's till the asker gives up. The questions why do you not share them? and I do not mean on line or with the masses but with friends or family?
    Last edited by Billi; 07-01-2014 at 05:03 AM.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    My mom does everything by rote, so there's no looking to find favorite recipes. When I was first married and asked how to make meatloaf, she told me to buy some hamburger, then chop up all the leftovers in the fridge, put that with the hamburger and bake it. I dissolved into tears as this was to be a first dinner for my in-laws and it was what they requested!!

My grandmother wrote out her pumpkin pie and dill pickle recipe for me. How I love seeing her handwriting! She also gave me her HS domestic arts book. It's falling apart, but she wrote recipes on the blank pages in there that folks gave her. Their names are beside the recipe and I remember a few of those folks.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Cooking was not my mother's long suit, which is probably why I have hundreds of cookbooks and I search the internet for new recipes almost daily. I follow a recipe once and after that I make changes to them. I live with my mother, I do the cooking and she does the dishes. This was her idea.

Over the years there are dishes I just do not use a recipe to make. I also have recipes I will not share with anyone. I still love using "Joy of Cooking" and an Eastern Star Cookbook my grandmother gave me for a shower gift back in 1967 (my favorite -- I had to find a replacement on eBay).

Can I respectfully ask why you won't share some of your recipes? I could never understand that.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

We have worlds of commercially produced cookbooks--the stash is already promised to my youngest granddaughter when she has room for it--but years ago, when computers were new, we produced The Fowler Family Cook Book. It contains favorites from family members who may have cadged the recipes from newspapers or magazines and then made variations, or who made up recipes from scratch. Mama's recipes, written in her own flawless Spencerian script, are in her wooden recipe box and in two metal boxes. Those boxes are priceless. They are the reason that I write all my quilt labels in my own hand. froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    my mom rarely used a recipe book. and when i asked her for my favorites, it was difficult for her to tell me the amounts as she did most of by looks/habit.
    Yep! Same for me.

I remember Grandma's recipes cards that she used never made it in the box- just inside the door of the spice cupboard.

Wish I had her Sour Cream Raison Pie Recipe. I would make it for dad along with the pineapple pie recipe.

Blog Entries
    When my mother passed away that is the ONLY thing I requested & received . YES !!!!

Lightbulb Sour cream raisin pie or something like it.

I love old cook books, I have the Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking. It has two recipes, one for a sour-cream prune pie, and one for a buttermilk raisin pie..do these sound like your mom's recipes?
    If so would you like me to post them for you? I would think that chopped prunes would cook up much like raisins or buttermilk would act much like sour cream.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    My Mom and Grandmother both taught me how to cook, then my DH's German Grandmother taught me many German recipes as well as Bavarian recipes, and canning and we loved cooking/baking together. I am very glad I learned many different ways of cooking/baking/canning/canning as I have passed this onto my daughters. One has so many shortcuts I told her she should start a blog about food!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I have collected recipes and cookbooks since I was 16. While I have tons of recipes that I do share, there are a couple that I do not. This is a difficult question for me to answer, but since you asked the question. The honest answer is: I do not want to share them and I do not need a reason.
    Last edited by Aurora; 07-02-2014 at 01:14 AM.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

My dad was the cook - much better than my mum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
    I remember Grandma's recipes cards that she used never made it in the box- just inside the door of the spice cupboard.

Wish I had her Sour Cream Raison Pie Recipe. I would make it for dad along with the pineapple pie recipe.

Is the pineapple pie a 2 crust best served warm? IF so, I probably (after several moves I don't know what I have!) have a recipe from my grandfather's companion that I could PM you.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    My brother and I were always allowed in the kitchen when Mother was cooking, she taught us the basics. I really have never liked to cook, but I also allowed my children to cook or help when they were young and taught them as well. They both cooked along with my Mother when they visited with her which was all the time when they were growing up. Today they are excellent cooks. Both are single, and have to cook in order to eat. lol. My son has always enjoyed experimenting with cooking. My brother is a fabulous cook, I think his cooking came about mostly from necessity because neither of his two wives were great cooks. He did most of the cooking then and has been single for the last 15 years, so he has no choice but to cook for himself and others which he loves to do. I know that in order to be a good cook one must enjoy the process, which I don't.
    My Mother had tons of recipes and the ones that were stained were the most used I guess. I kept all of her recipes and about years ago decided to share them with my children and a niece who was 4 when Mother died. I made copies of all of Mother's hand written and a few typed recipes, some of mine, my grandmothers and other folks. I retyped all of the hand written ones. I then put all in plastic sleeves with a copy of the original hand written recipes facing the ones I typed out, so they could have a copy of the original. I put all of these in 3" 3 ring binders and gave them each, one as a Christmas gift. I'm not sure how much any of them use these, but they all seemed pleased with the gift. This took several months, but I am glad did it. I think that this type of thing needs to be passed down through the family if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
    My brother and I were always allowed in the kitchen when Mother was cooking, she taught us the basics. I really have never liked to cook, but I also allowed my children to cook or help when they were young and taught them as well. They both cooked along with my Mother when they visited with her which was all the time when they were growing up. Today they are excellent cooks. Both are single, and have to cook in order to eat. lol. My son has always enjoyed experimenting with cooking. My brother is a fabulous cook, I think his cooking came about mostly from necessity because neither of his two wives were great cooks. He did most of the cooking then and has been single for the last 15 years, so he has no choice but to cook for himself and others which he loves to do. I know that in order to be a good cook one must enjoy the process, which I don't.
    My Mother had tons of recipes and the ones that were stained were the most used I guess. I kept all of her recipes and about years ago decided to share them with my children and a niece who was 4 when Mother died. I made copies of all of Mother's hand written and a few typed recipes, some of mine, my grandmothers and other folks. I retyped all of the hand written ones. I then put all in plastic sleeves with a copy of the original hand written recipes facing the ones I typed out, so they could have a copy of the original. I put all of these in 3" 3 ring binders and gave them each, one as a Christmas gift. I'm not sure how much any of them use these, but they all seemed pleased with the gift. This took several months, but I am glad did it. I think that this type of thing needs to be passed down through the family if possible.
    What a great idea for you to share with your family those recipes. I have a little booklet called "The Best I ever made" and it was written and given to me by a marvelous Nebraska friend before she died at nearly 102. Pauline Sorensen and I met at an Elderhostel in Iowa City when she was 86. It was on writing memoirs and I visited her for for next ten years often from my home in California. She had the recipe and a memory of when she served it. And I learned to love both Pauline and her home in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I consider my recipe box a trip thru my life too with all those cards in different handwriting and memories of the people and friends long gone who gave them to me. There's quite a span of history as tomorrow I will be 88 yeears old.

My mother wasn't that great of a cook either, but she made good goulash, round steak and gravy, and she loved making soups all mostly without recipes. My grandmothers were both wonderful cooks, but they didn't really use recipes either. One grandma's specialty were rolls made with mashed potatoes. So, I also make these without a recipe. When I first made them I honestly could feel my grandma watching me from above! One Thanksgiving when I made them my brother said "Lori these are better than grandma's!". Oh dear, sorry grandma.
    Lori

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast