Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Moonflower - just beautiful >

Moonflower - just beautiful

Moonflower - just beautiful

Old 09-04-2011, 05:15 PM

That looks wonderful, but our experience living in the Houston area is that morning glories are too invasive to grow where winters are mild. A back neighbor planted one that eventually trailed all along our fence, across the back, along one side and out to the front, covering everything in its path. It even found its way up to our roof and over the satellite dish. It was beautiful, but too much of a good thing. I wonder if the moonflower would have similar habits here.

These morning glories were only about 3 across .
[ATTACH=CONFIG]251574[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-251568.jpe  
Old 09-04-2011, 05:18 PM

That is gorgeous! Never heard of them. Would love to know where I could get seeds. I lived in S Texas all my growing up years and loved morning glories. Much to my dismay, that flower is not what a farmer likes and being married to a farmer, I could not have them, but we don't farm now. Maybe he would let me plant (well, he would have to do the planting) some moon flowers.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Gorgeous!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Originally Posted by mommafank
There are 2 species called moonflowers. The moonflower that this thread started with is a memeber of the convolvulacea or morning glory family. These grow on a vine. I did read that in some places they are considered a nuisance plant because they spread so rapidly. The other plant called moonflower is the Datura or Angel Trumpet and it is a member of the solanaceae or nightshade family which is poisonious. It is bushy. I do believe this is the plant that has been said to be used as a hallucinogenic and perhaps banned in some states.
Thanks for the info. I had tried to grow the first kind...the morning glory version, here in Michigan. I had no luck with it, but would surely love to try it again!
GM Mary, thank you very much for clarifying the two kinds. I have only the vine kind, not the bush kind which gives the prickly seed pod.

I don't recommend growing them by seeds outside for northern areas. I get them as plants in late May and don't get any blossoms until just about Labor Day weekend. If I was to start them from seeds outside, I may never see a blossom.

Tonight, we have three blossoms, but one is hiding, so here are two of them.

See how big the moonflower is! The white dot at the top must be a bug.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256827[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-256821.jpe   attachment-256822.jpe  
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 PM

I so love the Phillip Jacobs Moonflower line. The real thing is prettier.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
That looks wonderful, but our experience living in the Houston area is that morning glories are too invasive to grow where winters are mild. A back neighbor planted one that eventually trailed all along our fence, across the back, along one side and out to the front, covering everything in its path. It even found its way up to our roof and over the satellite dish. It was beautiful, but too much of a good thing. I wonder if the moonflower would have similar habits here.
This is the Heavenly Blue variety of morning glory - my favorite!

Yes, the moonflower would have the same growing habit. There isn't a lot of difference between the two. Moonflower leaves are much larger, the flowers are much larger and they open only at night. I have only seen moonflowers in white, never in a color. Have seen morning glories in pink, purple and blue.

You can see how much bigger the blue ones are compared to the purple ones. But the purple ones are prolific giving tons of flowers every day. Some days we don't have any blue ones.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256829[/ATTACH]

One of the most beautiful flowers ever - a Heavenly Blue morning glory
[ATTACH=CONFIG]256830[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-256823.jpe   attachment-256824.jpe  
Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

pRETTY BUT WHAT A PAIN. i HAVE BEEN IN THIS HOUSE NEARLY 40 YRS AND BEEN TRYING TO KILL IT SINCE DAY 1. THE ROOTS ARE SO DANG INVASIVE IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. tHEY VINE THRU EVERYTHING, MY LILACS, ROSE O SHARON AND CHOKE OUT MY STRAWBERRIES. sorry bout the caps. yea, pretty but if anyone figures out what kills em I would love to know!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the info. I had tried to grow the first kind...the morning glory version, here in Michigan. I had no luck with it, but would surely love to try it again![/quote]

GM Mary, thank you very much for clarifying the two kinds. I have only the vine kind, not the bush kind which gives the prickly seed pod.

I don't recommend growing them by seeds outside for northern areas. I get them as plants in late May and don't get any blossoms until just about Labor Day weekend. If I was to start them from seeds outside, I may never see a blossom.

Tonight, we have three blossoms, but one is hiding, so here are two of them.[/quote]

They are so pretty---thanks for posting the pictures. When I hear someone say they are just a nuisance, I say they are worth the little extra time to pull down the vines when they die off and manage them. I have not found that mine ever get out of hand. I replant every season.