Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More disappointing news

DH just got off the phone with family members in Texas. We are having a very wet season here in TN. They are in the middle of a terrible drought. Cousin in Marshall, TX said they just had to plow under 10,000 acres of cotton this week and that they weren't the only ones doing so. Unlike those with poor corn crops the cotton can't even be used for animal feed. Just another blow to the already poor economy. From a quilting standpoint, looks like those quilting fabrics are going to do nothing but continue to increase in price. Ann in TN

wow that is too bad

This is so said, I wish they could get some of our rain, it rains just about every day. I keep thinking when it stops we will not see any for a long time.

Been expecting to see higher prices.

Blog Entries
    that is so sad

I was raised on a farm in Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird
    DH just got off the phone with family members in Texas. We are having a very wet season here in TN. They are in the middle of a terrible drought. Cousin in Marshall, TX said they just had to plow under 10,000 acres of cotton this week and that they weren't the only ones doing so. Unlike those with poor corn crops the cotton can't even be used for animal feed. Just another blow to the already poor economy. From a quilting standpoint, looks like those quilting fabrics are going to do nothing but continue to increase in price. Ann in TN

That is so sad. On the flip side my brothers in North Dakota can hardly get in the fields it is so wet and it just keeps raining. Too bad our crazy weather can't be more even!!

So sorry about your family members in TX. Hope things turn around for them in the future.

Power Poster
    Hope they had crop insurance.

That's a huge amount of acreage to have to turn under.

We will be happy to take any rain you want to send us! About 4 days of steady drippy rain is what we need to loosen the ground before we get a very heavy rain. I am so sorry your family is so impacted by this.

It is so hot and dry in our part of central Texas that even the weeds have quit growing in our yard. No mowing, no weedeating, soon no more shrubs if we don't water. Everything is going dormant in our yard- and we are staying inside in the AC. How do you cope with the rising prices? We only drive the car to go to church or the doctor. Run the other errands when we do these. Makes for some strange menus.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yes when you look at the WHOLE farming picture of this country this year....things are very dismal....flooding up north means NO crops going into the ground..fires/drought in the South means crops being burned or tilled under....

so what are we going to eat next year????

I am more worried about gas to drive to work and food on the table than I am about fabric prices going up....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL
    It is so hot and dry in our part of central Texas that even the weeds have quit growing in our yard. No mowing, no weedeating, soon no more shrubs if we don't water. Everything is going dormant in our yard- and we are staying inside in the AC. How do you cope with the rising prices? We only drive the car to go to church or the doctor. Run the other errands when we do these. Makes for some strange menus.
    same here in OK....my garden is doing nothing..if we had to eat off it alone, we would be starving now...not even the HOT crops like peppers are growing...it is really sad!

Weather is just nasty in many parts of the country this year. I sure hope it evens out soon. I'm sorry your family is suffering.

i feel so bad for the familys that have to go threw loseing there crops. not only did they lose the crops they also lost the money they spent on seeds. Holding them in my parys.

My heart brakes for farmers when Mother Nature doesn't play nice! My ex-inlaws were farmers, wheat & cottom and I remeber sev seasons that the crops were nonexistant. Here in Central Okla. we are in a drought also. Getting scary. Not only the fields and lawns drying to a crisp, wild fires run rampant. Just strange how some are flooding while others are drying up. My prayers go out to all!!! Flood or drought is badddddd. Hugs Hugs

Blog Entries
    We are having a very wet season here in TN. They are in the middle of a terrible drought.

Boy you said it girl!!! We have gotten over 7" in the past week. Soooooooooo over rain and storms.

I wish there was a way to send them some of our water. We are so close to topping our levee and my town flooding.

I just saw on the news where our county was declared a disaster area an farmers can apply for assistance/low interest loans if they lost their crops due to all of the rain.

Sorry to hear about your crops down south. I so understand. We farm in eastern North Dakota and we are very wet-standing water everywhere. Wet fall, a lot of snow and rainy spring and summer. It doesn't quit!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    It is a serious situation here in TExas. Burnban statewide for 90 days and we have had some doozy of fires lately. I love visiting the Marshal Pottery plant. Hope things work out for them. Sending prayers for rain, we need it so badly.

Blog Entries
    I live in southern ohio and we are getting tons of rain. WOuld love to send some to Texas and elsewhere. I heard on the news that we have pretty much already gotten our normal years amount of rain. We had a drought last year.

It seems like there is terrible weather everywhere and it's having it's negative effect on us all. The sad part is there is nothing we can do about it but go on with our lives. :thumbup:

Here in the central Panhandle of Texas fireworks sale and use has been banned (thank goodness) we have had a lot of fires in the area. I only planted tomatoes this spring and they just withered away with me watering them. Sorry to hear about the farmers crops too wet or too dry.

Has anyone heard an update on MillieH's request for prayers for rain in Louisiana?

Ladies, prayers for rain to you. We also needed rain and yesterday God sent the rain. We probably received an inch.
    Our Garden is smiling today. I did ask God to send rain from the flooding areas. Keep the faith

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast