Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Mouse traps (Not the board game) >

Mouse traps (Not the board game)

Mouse traps (Not the board game)

Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

Originally Posted by nativetexan
yes but mouse carry disease and i woudln't want my pet eating one.
Oh you wouldn't believe how many times I've set her down & talked to her about not eating those nasties! Like talking to a blank wall.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 PM

tacit agreement with little critters: outside, they are free to roam. even set a vole free a month ago, who'd gotten trapped in a box on the back porch. but once they are inside, they are fair game. i have fabric and food to protect, after all! the concealed snap-and-kill are humane. they do not suffer, starve, or wait for death. it is cruel to just let them die a slow death.

even the old fashioned traps are a quick end. they do carry disease: depending on the part of the country you live in, they can carry hanta virus, their fleas carry black plague (it's still very active out in the western states). yes, they are endlessly cute--but they do not belong inside. and a pair of mice can breed as fast as a tribble. "A house mouse can breed 35 days after it was born, and can have its own first litter of up to eight pups by the time it is 60 days old. Although they usually live only about a year, if all their
offspring lived and reproduced at a similar rate, one pair of house mice could produce a population of more than 500 mice in one year."

http://www.pestcontrol-products.com/.../rat_facts.htm

this site has mouse stuff on it, too--including the diseases they can carry. good luck!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM

I have a bait that dessicates the rats. I recently heard one scratching around so I made sure to seal up the hole in the garage wall. When I went to put out the bait, I discovered that something had crawled up on the shelf to break into the package. (haven't heard the sounds since)