Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mouse traps (Not the board game)

What mouse trap have you found to work the best at catching mice in the house.

I'm looking for an enclosed one, since I don't want to see a dead mouse body. A humane one that doesn't kill is a plus, but not necessary. I'm just getting tired of seeing this mouse run in and out of my closet in my room.

These are the best mouse catchers I've ever had!
    No kidding.

Snickers
    Name:  Attachment-135789.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  42.1 KB

Olivia
    Name:  Attachment-135792.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  32.9 KB

I Don't know the answer because we have three indoor cats and i guess not one mouse would dare to enter. When I was a young girl, there was no TV and we had mice. My dad would put out some poison and we would sit in the living room and watch the mice come down this wall thing that was in the house and eat the poison. this was our entertainment. Sad

Unfortunately I still live at home, so I'm limited by what I can find in the hardware store. Although the first thing I asked was could I get a Jack Russell Terrier, I was told no.

One day I'll be able to get a dog. All we have now is a lazy cat. Last time we had a mouse, it would steal food from the cat's bowl, while she watched them.

Also due to a cat and a two year old, poison is out as well.

Sorry, the best ones I have had are the dead body, keep your fingers away kind. I have three cats and three dogs and still had a mouse under a side table the other day. Guess what? None of the animals even knew it was there. I think I feed them too well. But, I do have to say that the cats regularly leave mouse body parts on the front door mat.

[quote=JoanPD]Unfortunately I still live at home, so I'm limited by what I can find in the hardware store. Although the first thing I asked was could I get a Jack Russell Terrier, I was told no.

My JRT's are the best!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I like the enclosed ones. I can't bear to kill anything!

Blog Entries
    "Ortho Home Defense Max"- Bought a pack of 2, the mouse was caught within a couple hours - Still have the other one it the pantry just in case. Baited it with peanut butter, and it's totally enclosed. It did kill the mouse immediately, snapped its neck - but to me it was worth it to get it caught ASAP and not have the destruction and other problems associated with mice in the house.

good luck mouse hunting

Only ones that have worked for me are The glue ones

Can't help you but I have a funny (and long) story to share.

Home alone, late at night in February 2002. Earlier I had made a bowl of popcorn and deposited the empty (large stainless steel) on the counter next to the oven. I was on the phone with a night owl friend, and doing dishes, and in my jammies.

I had the phone on my shoulder and I was washing a glass and it broke and cut my hand - bad! Just as I was wrapping a towel around my hand I heard a noise that sounded like needles falling on steel. While talking on phone and wrapping my bleeding hand, I saw a mouse in the popcorn bowl. The sound was him trying to jump out but he couldn't get high enough so he kept sliding back down. The bowl was part of a set of stacking bowls, so I grabbed the bowl that was the next size down and popped it on top of the bowl with the mouse. Then I grabbed a garbage bag, picked up both bowls and popped them into the garbage bag. I took the bag and put my parka on over my jammies, and went out to the van depositing the mouse/bowls/bag in the back of the empty van. I drove to the other side of the interstate (about 1/4 mile), and down a dirt road. Suddenly a mouse ran across the center console, jumped to the floor, then UP my pajama leg.

Bear in mind ... I'm STILL on the phone (and my girlfriend hasn't stopped talking so she is clueless about ANY of this)!!

I jammed on the breaks, put the van in park, threw the door open, jumped out into a snow back (bedroom slippers - not shoes) and started doing the slap dance. Picture that - 40 something woman in jammies and a parka doing a slap dance in a snow bank on a dirt road at about 1:00 AM on a cold February night (morning).

Mouse came out and went merrily on his way to freedom. Yippee. I named him Colonel (get it ... kernal of corn?).

Back to the van, drove home, gathered bowls in bag sans mouse and went back into the house. At that point my friend finally stopped telling me her woes and asked "so ... what did you do tonight?"

uhhh ... where to start???

Oh, the hand healed fine eventually. Hurt like the dickens for a long time though.

DogHouseMom - I loved your story! :thumbup: :lol:

As for mouse traps, I can only feel good about the havahart metal live traps. We've caught tons in them and they work great. And we get to let the poor things live.

I have electronic ones they were not that expensive and after about a month we have no mice here, Other than that we use the snap kill ones. I find if we let them go they bring their friends back for the free for all!

put peanut butter on a cotton ball for your bait...guaranteed to catch the little varmit!

My neighbor was a pest control guy...and that's what they used.

Blog Entries
    I have the plug in things...."Rid-X"...evidently emit an ultrasonic sound that deters the critters...and they work! :)
    Before I got those, I cleaned out the hall closet one day and found what should have been an empty box FULL of dog food...little critter was storing up for winter, I guess!

Dog House Mom...hysterical story.

I have used the old fashioned traps and the glue ones. Caught two on a glue pad just last month. They were still alive though (hated that). The two of them were moving in all dirwections to try and get their little feet of the darn glue. Sad, yet funny somehow.

Dog House Mom....I'm still laughing

As for traps, we use the good old fashion ones. Soooo cheap I just throw trap and mouse out....(with my eyes closed)

the glue ones are NOT humane!! Imagine having your feet glued down and slowly dying from whatever - ugghhh!

I had a problem with mice a few years ago - you HAVE to keep them out of the house - when the snow is gone, if you have snow, go around the whole outside of the house probing for any tiny holes a mouse could get into, and seal them up with expanding foam, steel wool, or whatever. Other wise you will be trapping them forever. There is a world of mice outside and they want to come in!!

Let me just say, I HATE MICE!!! If I could have a cat I would but it is not an option.

ok I got a story too! I lived with my Grannie growing up and she kept a passel of cats outside so never really had mice problems. Dh and I got married and lived in this dinky OLD little trailer. One day I was sitting in the kitchen and I kept hearing this squeak. I thought the dog had gotten another rooster from a neighbors who raised cocks. I went to move the curtain back to look out and there on the top of the chair...the one I was JUST sitting in! was a mouse! Now dh had just gotten one of those co2 bb guns and had left it on the counter......Imagine his surprise when he hears me screaming bloody murder, runs in the trailer, and there I am ON the kitchen table (cause the mouse couldn't run up my leg as easily there ya know) SHOOTING the bb gun at the long gone mouse! The first thing I did when I got off that table was head to my Grannie's and "borrow" a cat!

The funny mouse story, not funny!
    Our home is 1848 here in the valley we were the first home, it was a cabin. Since then additions 1912, 1920, 2007. Lots of cracks around the outside of the home. My hubby loves that foam you use to fill cracks. He has totally fixed the mouse problem.
    Since we tore off the 1920 addition we have had no mice. Not upstairs at all. Our main basement is in the 1800's but is in good shape, DH has used foam down there too.

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    Too funny but it isnt casueyou got cut. Umm Get a CAT... guarenteed mouse catcher.
    Guaranteed catcher, uh maybe but not always guaranteed exterminator. I have 5 and sometimes the mouse still manages to get away. Sometimes they don't. My avatar, Finnigan a Maine Coon cat, is not the brightest crayon in the box. However he does have an almost primal hunting instinct. Anyway about 2 weeks ago he got one and was carrying it around growling at everyone. We tried to get it away from him but the little varment escaped. Yesterday morning we found a half eaten one on the kitchen floor. EWWWW! I couldn't help but wonder if it was the mouse that got away. If it was, his little second chance didn't last very long.

As much as I like animals I have no desire to allow the vermin that enter my home to live. They can cause so much damage so I would prefer to have them dispatched quickly and humanely. I swear by the old fasioned spring loaded traps baited with peanut butter or chewing gum.

For suezquilts....your dog is the best (& so cute)...however, puppy would get "cold" being in my van that somehow became a home for mice. I thing I have the problem solved I used a Spring loaded (almost like a bull dog clip)to get them out. Laughed at my Dad that I bought the van from...when showing him one of the mice...He said that is not a mouse, that is a rat (it really wasn't or I won't have even got in the van...funny)

Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    Too funny but it isnt casueyou got cut. Umm Get a CAT... guarenteed mouse catcher.
    This is not always true! Back in 2003 I walked downstairs in the basement and saw my cat laying next to a pair of my DH jeans on the floor. I called her and she wouldn't move. I walked over and picked up the jeans and there lays a mouse. I screamed ran upstairs and the cat ran to back room. I called my DH at work and told him and he said that I'm probably seeing things.
    Smart me - I walked back downstairs and lifted the jeans, screamed, the cat ran and I ran upstairs and called my DH again. I told him I am not crazy and I saw what I saw. He came home on his lunch break and picked up the jeans and this time the cat ran upstairs. She was so helpful! He took it to the down to the creek and let it go. You know he had to go back to work telling how his wife and cat can't even take care of a little mouse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvnquilt
    "Ortho Home Defense Max"- Bought a pack of 2, the mouse was caught within a couple hours - Still have the other one it the pantry just in case. Baited it with peanut butter, and it's totally enclosed. It did kill the mouse immediately, snapped its neck - but to me it was worth it to get it caught ASAP and not have the destruction and other problems associated with mice in the house.
    Agree, I don't like killing anything either, but there will be more problems lurking around, should you not be taking care of the mice.

There is a new kind of mouse trap out now. I can't remember what they're called but it's a white plastic box with a red bait door and red lever to set the trap. You put peanut butter--(I have no idea why anyone would use cheese--peanut butter works for all critters)--in the little bait door and close it. Then you press down on the little red lever to set the trap & put it where ever you've seen mice. I put mine parallel with the floor boards like a drive-in for mice. When the mouse enters, the "floor" pops up, trapping him inside. It doesn't kill him unless you forget to check it for a few days--kids forget to tell me. Anyway, when they do tell me, I take the critter for a little ride up the road and shake him out. If it dies before I get to the trap, I throw the whole thing away. That's what you're supposed to do anyway but I can't let the icky things die of thirst so I turn them loose a mile up the road.

Ortho Home Max may be what they are called. We get them at Lowe's. They come 2 in a package so I'm thinking the previous post is what I'm trying to describe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast