Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Movies or books that scarred the pants off of us >

Movies or books that scarred the pants off of us

Movies or books that scarred the pants off of us

Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 PM

The Birds, The Exorcist, The Shining, & Aliens (all of them) got to me but the one that rang me inner alarm bell was On The Beach with Gregory Peck: nuclear holocaust survivors in Australia & American seamen who left there to die in America while looking for a distress call to fulfill their "duty". The cinematography was too real!!! Broke my heart when Fred Astair drove his sports car off a cliff because he had the effects of the nuclear fall out.
Guess we practiced too many times hiding under our desks at school during Cuban Missile Crisis.
Hope I don't scare anyone by even mentioning these movies!
boo,
dj
Old 05-17-2018, 06:00 PM

Aliens--saw it in the theater with DH and about landed in his lap the first time someone got attacked. And with books, definitely Helter Skelter-read it while DH (not married at time) was being ski bum and I was living in apt. by myself and read it at night--had a balcony that could be reached from ground and I was freaked out the whole book and afterward.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:19 PM

The scene in the first Alien movie where the creature bursts out of the guy's chest. Also, I the Russian roulette scene in The Deerhunter was terrifying.

My mom wouldn't let me go to scary movies, and some things that would have scared me then didn't really work on me later. By the time I watched the Psycho shower scene I was aware of the still photos that were used to show Janet Leigh as a dead person, and I just sat and marveled at how effective the technique was.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:22 PM

The Omen. I read the book, not a big deal, the movie came out and my husband wanted to see it. We went to see it and for some reason it bothered me more than the shower scene from Psycho, or any scene from The Exorcist.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:34 AM

This movie was a lot milder than the ones mentioned above. It was in the late 60’s when I saw it. Wait Until Dark. Audrey Hepburn...she was blind and a man was trying to kill her. The tension was very high and ......well I can’t tell you about the scene that had everyone standing on their feet.......

It is when great movies were not all about stab, stab, stab. It had a real plot and great actors!! Loved that movie.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
The Wizard of Oz was the scariest when I was young. Twilight Zone shows were scary when I was older. There's an Audrey Hepburn movie where she's blind - that was really really scary when I got older. I usually shy away from scary movies now. But I watch a lot of forensic shows, so I've probably replaced the scary movies with scary reality.
That Audrey Hepburn movie was "Wait until Dark" , I screamed (in the theater) when the guy lunged in the dark.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM

Yes, Wait Until Dark. Thank you. That one guy is so creepy I couldn't even watch him in any other movie.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:24 AM

War between the Worlds, 13 Ghosts, My Mothers House. Not long ago the DH picked the movie and the first scene was a man getting his tongue cut out...Nope, sorry, found myself curling up in a ball, trying to duck and swerve my head away. poor hubby had to find another movie.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM

"Murders in the Rue Morgue" somewhere in the late 1950's. Based on an Edgar Allen Poe short story. Watched with sister and cousins in a Denver theater. I watched until the detective was in the room of one of the murdered women deducing what happened to the body when a bloody arm suddenly drops down from the chimney. I ran up the aisle to the door and never looked back. I can still feel the fear. Guess that means it was a great movie!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:11 AM

At least you watched it. I turned it off when it got too scary.