Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Moving, clearing out and the Homeless. >

Moving, clearing out and the Homeless.

Moving, clearing out and the Homeless.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:59 PM

I like to give to the Savers location near me. They benefit Safe Nest (a local domestic violence shelter).
Old 10-03-2016, 02:11 AM

When my DDs were young, we collected blankets all summer from garage sales. We would take them home and store them until the weather turned cold, then we would go down to the local Hobo camp and distribute them. Sometimes people would trade a clean blanket for a dirty one. Those we took to a laundry and washed them to give to someone else. I still collect blankets. I also collect safety pins to give away because to homeless people the are more precious than jewels. Makes you feel good to fill a need just because it exists with no paperwork or regulations to worry about.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 AM

I live in a small town, and one of our local Churches has started their program of giving toiletries and some paper goods to the needy. They have not asked particularly for clothing, but I cleaned out some in late summer - ladies slacks and tops that I no longer use since I am retired and took 3 large 33 gal bags to them. I hope someone was able to get some use out of them. I hate to have garage/yard sales. We don't have a goodwill store here. I really need to go trough DH closet and weed out things, but just haven't.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:42 AM

Tears came into my eyes when I read your story. Homeless are so often neglected.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:25 AM

Back in Feb 4 ladies @ my church started a church group to help the homeless here(of which we have a very large population of).They had our preacher ask for a clothes drive and it bloomed from there.we are now about 50 members strong.another member donated a shed,so we have a shed to sort and store now. Very rewarding ,and have made many homeless friends. That is exactly how our group got started .May God's blessing be many for you.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:04 AM

Awesome! Thanks for caring and sharing.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:34 AM

We normally donate saleable things to a Christian charitydown the street from us. They sell theitems and it helps fund (and hire) recovering addicts.I also crochet hats and scarves and donatethem to an organization downtown.LatelyI’ve been making more for the women as it seems like many donate to themen.I also keep my eyes out atyardsales for blankets and will keep them in the car to hand out although manyin our town want us to donate to organizations to encourage the homeless tocome to them for help.Last Christmas myhusband and I made box lunches (with enough food in them for a couple of meals)and handed them out with socks because so many places are closed on Christmasday.I think we will do it again thisyear.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM

It's heartwarming to read your story of simply opening your trunk and handing out things to those in need. And how sweet of them to be polite. So many kind people in this world. What if the news stations ONLY carried good news and feel-good stories for just one week? One week. Imagine. They say in the journalism world, "If it bleeds, it leads," so that's why they report all the negativity. Let's keep being kind anyway and making the world a gentler place. Thank you for modeling it. And all of you .

I got involved about a year ago with a local church pastored by a dear friend and his wife. Once a month, I'm part of a 3-woman cooking team to feed the needy (some homeless). We take turns bringing the entree, the salad/bread, and the dessert. It's a lot of work, but we enjoy coming up with nutritious meals and making them pretty and tasty. The church has other churches filling in the other Friday nights of the months. It's a wonderful feeling to know that the folks are getting a hot, tasty, homecooked meal. Most of them express gratitude but I suppose there are those who don't say a word but appreciate it--and maybe some take it for granted. That's okay. I can't even judge them for that because I, too, take so much for granted and fail to give thanks to God for His provision all too often.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:52 PM

*** You are a very NICE & GENEROUS lady.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:39 AM

This is such a wonderful thing to do. You are a wonderful example to the rest of us on how we can reach out to people that are in need.