Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Moving, clearing out and the Homeless. >

Moving, clearing out and the Homeless.

Moving, clearing out and the Homeless.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:59 PM

God bless you for your giving soul!
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM

Nine years ago our old church started serving a free dinner once a week for anyone who wanted to come. At the beginning there were 6 churches involved and we only had 6 folks come to the first dinners. That grew and now there are over a dozen churches and over 100 folks coming to eat -- and now folks provide things that folks can't get from the food bank, clothes and fresh produce from neighborhood gardens. The community is neither big nor rich, but they also started a free clinic manned by volunteers that serves anyone who needs help. A town with a lot of compassion.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:13 PM

the guild I belong to collects monthly for the local food pantries, the local domestic violence shelter (clothing, toiletries, thumb drives--they are encouraged to record their personal data like bank acct #, children's SSN's, etc, tote bags and quilts & linens), the local homeless shelter (same type of items) and we do disaster related quilts for local families (fire, tornado, floods). These are the "regular" community services, plus we just finished giving out over 600 quilts to war-time Vets and now are turning our efforts to bags for foster kids. It's a wonder any of us have any stash as we are always busy! Another way to help those that are less fortunate is to purchase items from Goodwills, Salvation Army, etc stores as they often employ persons that are trying to get back on their feet and need the job experience.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

I too, lived in a shelter with my son when he was 3. My ex-husbnad came home one day and said to me and my son, he was sitting on my lap, to get the F@#$ out of his house. And held his service revolver to my head. When I tell people this, they don't believe me and get very uncomfortable around me. I still don't know why people were uncomfortable. This can happen to anyone. A fire, loss of job, death of a family member, and in our case, getting kicked out by our ex husband who was terrible abusive person.Don't go judging to early when you see a homeles person. Anyone can fall on hard times.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:29 AM

Very nice to hear that there are still kind and generous people out there like you. I think we only hear of the bad people in the news. Thank you for your generosity.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:29 AM

May God bless each and every one of you for having such kind and giving hearts ,,,Thank each of you for you're generosity,,, Blessings
Old 11-11-2016, 07:37 AM

"And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."--1 Corinthians 13:13
Old 11-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I defended myself from my ex-husband. Ever since then my family believes I have a mental issue. That's ok. I'm not going to allow another person to swing at me without my swinging back. Just so happened he missed and I didn't. Many thought I should've taken him back. With a cracked jaw in 3places, he really wasn't going far and he stayed out of the kitchen when I put the rolling pin on the counter. After his jaw was unwired, I filed for divorce. I still have that rolling pin. My one and only surviving aunt is the only one who stood by my side when others wouldn't. Her husband did also. He's the one who suggested keeping it in arm's reach on a constant basis. I always thank my heavenly father I am not in the shoes of the homeless. It's getting to be about that time again. I have a large box of "darned clean socks"[QUOTE=lynnie;7695700]I too, lived in a shelter with my son when he was 3. My ex
Old 11-11-2016, 08:25 AM

I have a story. It is not a story of physical abuse, although I've experienced that too. At 19 I married a man I had met in Germany, and I had a child at 20. I am from the south. He was from the west, and we settled in the northeast, so I did not live near my family. A year after my son was born, my ex-husband joined the army and within a year got orders for Germany. He said that he couldn't afford to have us there, so we stayed behind. After about a year apart, he wrote that he was getting orders for us to come over and that I should pack up and move out of my apartment. So I did. I waited to get our traveling orders from him. When they didn't come, I called his barracks in Germany. It was then that he told me he had changed his mind. Turns out he had just had another baby. Blew my mind! I filed for divorce. I was homeless with a 3-year old. Thank God for good friends. Fortunately I never had to stay in a shelter. But I am proof that life can change in an instant. Choosing the right man can be one of the most important decisions a girl can make, except sometimes they can be so charming that you don't see their true colors till it's too late.