Moving to FL

Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
WOW being born and raised in central FLorida (Tampa) and still living here I was shocked how many negative things people pointed out and no positive. So here you go - I can take out my trash year round and never wear snow shoes, gloves, hats, etc. I spent Christmas 2010 at the beach. We MAY have a hurricane threat this year but you will definitely have snow storms every year. We offer year round outside activities such as fishing, kayaking, surfing, bike riding and even sitting in the park reading. As far as the comment about northern residents and people here being mean I must add - I bought my first home in Zephyrhills, FL (30-40 miles north of Tampa) and 70% winter residents. The stores my be a little more busy when they arrive but it keeps our prices down. Most of the negative attitudes I encounter are winter residents who seem upset having to deal with local residents. Hello - we live here and this is our home - you're just visiting. I have been to Kentucky, Minnesota, Tennessee, Chicago, Conneticut, Georgia, Cape Cod, NY and the Ozark mountains. The people I meet there ar no more or less friendly than here. Sorry if I sound short but being a native my biggest pet peeve is standing in a store and hearing people talk about how much they hate Florida, yet they're in Florida. We have no rule that says you have to stay. I think you're family will find the people here nice as anywhere else and a thousand things to do year round. As far as home owners insurance and taxes I can only speak for mine - I have relatives in CT and NY and both pay almost double what the same house is in our area.
We lived in Zephyrhills, Fl for 23 years and loved it! We miss the accessability to attractions, arts and craft fairs where there is so much to see or to buy with little if any cost to enter, etc. etc. Loved it!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 AM

I lived in Brevard County for 5 years. It was the first time I moved away from home and it was a military move. It was traumatic for me and it was one of the best things I ever did.
My best friend from Florida is still my best friend ever.
It took about a year to acclimate to the weather, as it did when I moved back to Colorado. There are both GOOD and bad things in every location, and the worst is having a bad attitude before it starts. (Yes, I did!) I missed the 4 seasons, but we had the ocean and other things to keep us entertained. We had the Brevard Performing Arts center built while we were there, and many other things.
When your daughter moves, she needs to involve herself in the school, her church, or find a part-time job to help make her transition easier. It is not and will not be the end of the world. And still beeing on the east side of the country, they can drive home if she needs to visit her home state.

Good luck to her and you.
Susan
Old 10-20-2011, 07:06 AM

OMGosh! Best luck to them!! What a wonderful break in life they got!!
We moved to SC from Buffalo 15 yrs ago, and I cried all the way down driving behind hubs.
I hated the climate, I hated the flatness, I hated the pine trees and no seeming hardwoods, I hated the language (didnt understand Southerese), hated the food(sweet tea! good grief!), hated the bugs, and most of all hated the "no seasons"!
Now - I dont even like to take a vacation away from here and cant imagine how I grew up anywhere else but here! If they let themselves, they will fall in love with FL. It's not as southern as where I am cus it seems mostly everyone in FL is from up north or the midwest, you will find your fav foods, and find new hobbies (I thought I LOVED winter and skiing - heck! I hate the snow and cold now and love love love the ocean!)
It took about 3 yrs to become acclimated and accept where I was and not try to make it be Buffalo - I can understand the movie Hawaii now, where the missionairies tried to wear long underwear in the "winter" cus thats what they always did. LOL.
I think if they go with the flow, and wander around and look at things and try something new, talk with people, esp talk with people, get the feel of the place they will go nuts for FL! The only other place I ever ever wanted to live after being in SC was Key West - If I win a lottery Key West is my dream! Thats how much I love the south now! sharet
Old 10-20-2011, 07:42 AM

Dyed in the wool New Englanders to Florida....hmmm! Interesting!

A lot depends on the pace of life they had where they came from, & the pace of life where they're going. We do, to a certain degree, set that pace ourselves.

1. Really, really hot summers!
2. People wear more casual clothing styles.
3. After a couple years my blood thinned and winters now seem as cold as Pennsylvania winters did. It's a different kind of cold that really gets into your bones. Last night the temperature dropped to about 60 degrees & I dug out my wool comforter. Already.
4. Learning to live with the ongoing threat of sinkholes and seasonal hurricanes requires developing another level of inner fortitude.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 AM

We have vacationed in Florida in each season. Summer is hot and humid but businesses, homes and cars are air conditioned. Fall, winter and spring offer wonderful weather. Winter can be a bit cold at times but not as cold as New England and no snow. There are many historical sites to visit, lots of beaches, Disney and Disney type venues, professional ball teams, the Everglades I could go on and on about the entertainment and educational opportunities that are there for them to see. Traffic does get a bit full with snowbirds and service can be slower but at least they aren't rushing you out the door. For every negative there is always a positive. Hopefully they will find only the good of the state.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 AM

Lived in Graceville, FL for 2 yrs., 4 mos., HATED IT!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by fmd36
After a 4 mos. search SIL has found a job in Miramar,FL. GSons and DD are not at all happy about it. Dyed in the wool New Englanders. Realistically , what can they expect as far as culture shock? Off group reply is fine. Sad because I expect to ,at best, see them once a year. No one is too happy about this, but it is an exec. position in a major corp. God must have something great planned for them.
So sorry to hear she's moving to FL, I moved from there five years ago and have not regreated it. As far as culture shock, I hope she knows a little spanish, because that's all you hear there. They are very crude and rude people. As far as the traffic goes, I hope she does not live too far from work, because communting will not be plesant. There's like a light at every conner and nobody beliveves in stopping for stop signs or giving you signals, you have to be a defensive driver. I hope the move will be worth while for her and her family. I know, I lived in Florida for 18 years Hollywood, and I retired and moved to Texas have not regretted it one bit. I sure don't miss the Hurrican season. Tell her good luck.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:32 AM

I have lied here 3 yrs, its growing on me. Miramar has a great quilt syore. Sunshine quilts very friendly
Old 10-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Thanks to all who responded...I have read them all and will keep them. She loves where she is...she is def. a New England person..fall is her fav. time of year. They have both been involved in the performing arts field so they will look to that for enjoyment and she is a hand quilter. . I was awake most of last night praying and dealing with this and trying to answer the "What if.." questions. Mike leaves Sunday to start work on Monday. He knows some Spanish...his sales territory will be south of Miami, some of the islands and some of Central America....It should be exciting. With every move (and she has made a few, inc. West Coast) ) one of her biggest fears has been that she is leaving her friends behind and she won't make any new ones....but she always has. God is faithful. Thanks again to all. fmd36 in NH
Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Banned

LOL - I knew you from here cause you spelled it right.

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Originally Posted by Zhillslady
WOW being born and raised in central FLorida (Tampa) and still living here I was shocked how many negative things people pointed out and no positive. So here you go - I can take out my trash year round and never wear snow shoes, gloves, hats, etc. I spent Christmas 2010 at the beach. We MAY have a hurricane threat this year but you will definitely have snow storms every year. We offer year round outside activities such as fishing, kayaking, surfing, bike riding and even sitting in the park reading. As far as the comment about northern residents and people here being mean I must add - I bought my first home in Zephyrhills, FL (30-40 miles north of Tampa) and 70% winter residents. The stores my be a little more busy when they arrive but it keeps our prices down. Most of the negative attitudes I encounter are winter residents who seem upset having to deal with local residents. Hello - we live here and this is our home - you're just visiting. I have been to Kentucky, Minnesota, Tennessee, Chicago, Conneticut, Georgia, Cape Cod, NY and the Ozark mountains. The people I meet there ar no more or less friendly than here. Sorry if I sound short but being a native my biggest pet peeve is standing in a store and hearing people talk about how much they hate Florida, yet they're in Florida. We have no rule that says you have to stay. I think you're family will find the people here nice as anywhere else and a thousand things to do year round. As far as home owners insurance and taxes I can only speak for mine - I have relatives in CT and NY and both pay almost double what the same house is in our area.
We lived in Zephyrhills, Fl for 23 years and loved it! We miss the accessability to attractions, arts and craft fairs where there is so much to see or to buy with little if any cost to enter, etc. etc. Loved it!