Moving to FL

Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 AM

I was born and raised in St. Louis, Mo., and except for a brief time in Biloxi, lived there until 1993, when we moved down to Ft. Myers, Fl. Nothing will drag me back. Yes, it is hot in the summer, but it wasn't Floridians who complained about the 100+ temps this year. Or a lot of years. People who live down here year around know how to deal with the heat.

As far as season changing, and missing those "glorious colors", something is always in bloom, and we have reds, golds, purples, oranges, greens, pinks, oranges....all kinds of glorious colors blooming. We get cooler weather, which is one reason they sell heaters in the stores here, lol. We do get hurricanes, tho we haven't had any major storms lately. But look at what the rest of this country has had this year.

Maybe the thing for your SIL to do is rent for a couple of months before making the move with the entire family. He might be more than pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ladydi64
Originally Posted by fmd36
After a 4 mos. search SIL has found a job in Miramar,FL. GSons and DD are not at all happy about it. Dyed in the wool New Englanders. Realistically , what can they expect as far as culture shock? Off group reply is fine. Sad because I expect to ,at best, see them once a year. No one is too happy about this, but it is an exec. position in a major corp. God must have something great planned for them.
So sorry to hear she's moving to FL, I moved from there five years ago and have not regreated it. As far as culture shock, I hope she knows a little spanish, because that's all you hear there. They are very crude and rude people. As far as the traffic goes, I hope she does not live too far from work, because communting will not be plesant. There's like a light at every conner and nobody beliveves in stopping for stop signs or giving you signals, you have to be a defensive driver. I hope the move will be worth while for her and her family. I know, I lived in Florida for 18 years Hollywood, and I retired and moved to Texas have not regretted it one bit. I sure don't miss the Hurrican season. Tell her good luck.
I don't speak very much Spanish at all, but I do know how to say Please, thank you and "I'm sorry". And Lo Siento, dear, that you think all the Hispanics are rude and crude people. Perhaps they were just responding in kind?

I lived in St. Louis, and we always thought the people in Ill were the worst drivers.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Where do you live? Because I don't know what you are use to...

I grew up in Louisiana, lived there till 12, moved up upstate NY and have truly lived BOTH worlds. I can say that there is good and bad in both. No difference. Depends on if you like HOT, humid weather or not. lol
(I was treated VERY BADLY when we moved up NY. VERY. I was considered a dumb, southern hick based solely on my accent. )
At least in FL you have people from all over the world.

Depends on if they are moving to a city or the country.
Depends on a lot of things.
That's a general question, so answering it in general.
Good and bad no matter where ya go.
Depends on one's attitude and how you look at life.
Bottom line, be thankful they have a job.

I hear you as far as seeing them... My daughter is up there in NY on the canada border, I'm in S.E. GA right on the FL line (10 min. to it from my house). It's life. My grandkids won't know me as much as I'd like them to. I send them plane tickets , go there, send tons of care pkgs (check out the US Postal Svc flat rate boxes, they are great!), do what i can. You have internet now and can have so many more options. It's just life, we all have to do what we have to do to live and survive and I'm afraid it is going to get worse. Be thankful for their good job.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:16 AM

We visited his brother & SIL in 2004 & approx 2009. Only problem I found was the summer humidity and SIL and SIL & I went looking for quilt stores. Had a list of 5 and visited each one. Closed! All five of them and this was Pt St Lucie and surrounding close towns. That was a disappointment. Love the beaches though.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM

We lived in Florida a short time years ago. We loved it. Since we are from Texas and Louisiana the weather is about the same. Things are slower there, but you can have just about anything fixed. Many retirees have the skill to repair appliances, toos, etc. AND CHEAPER THAN BUYING NEW ONES. My cousin from Illinois is now living in North Point Florida and really likes it. The schools are getting better (She teaches junior high) When they miss the snow so bad they can't stand it, they spend christmas in Illinois. I don't thnk either of them miss frozen streets and oil burning furnaces. Their Christmas cards always have the beach as a background and everyone in shorts. Just think of it as a new experience. Get your computer set up with skype so you can see them when you talk to them. If you are retired or have a lot of vacation time, start watching orbitz, travel com, etc for cheap air rates and go see them. Life is not over. It is better to have a job somewhere than be homeless and unemployed.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by fmd36
After a 4 mos. search SIL has found a job in Miramar,FL. GSons and DD are not at all happy about it. Dyed in the wool New Englanders. Realistically , what can they expect as far as culture shock? Off group reply is fine. Sad because I expect to ,at best, see them once a year. No one is too happy about this, but it is an exec. position in a major corp. God must have something great planned for them.
I have lived all over the US and the world, but home has always been Sarasota, FL. (Gulf Coast)...I always considered a move a new adventure, new friends, new favorite "thrift shops", and lots of cooks tours. Good schools can be found by asking around of other parents. Also, the company may have (what we call) a sponsor to smooth the transition, give information about good grocery stores, schools, etc
Your realtor is also going to be a fantastic source of information. So, go ahead! - ASK!! and be sure to explore your new hometown. I find I miss the two season climate when we lived elsewhere and as for the
"horrible heat"... well everything is air conditioned, even your car!! You will probably have a yard man during the summer months and the winter months are perfect for planting and entertaining on the lanai, grilling out there too!
I wish you and your family a wonderful move and new best friends and good times!!
Sandy
from the SUNNY SIDE OF FLORIDA = SARASOTA COUNTY!!

Casperson Bch, Venice, FL JANUARY
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274461[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-274408.jpe  
Old 10-20-2011, 01:03 PM

I lived in Florida year round for 21 years. Aside from the humidity, bugs and fireants, it wasn't too bad. Oh, and the 6 months of hurricane worry every year. Cooler along the coast, nice in the wintertime. It has pros and cons just like everyplace else. Life is what you make it. We learn to adjust.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM

I go from Canada to Fl every winter --why because I happen to like south west Fl lifestyle. Lived in different places but I believe they are what you make it. The kids might actually like the heat / swimming/ boating hobbies of the south. Moving by choice or necessity is a good way to expand your life not be stuck in a very closed minded life.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:29 PM

Hate Florida, son lived their for 8yrs, now back home, i would never live their.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM

I encountered some "misplaced Northerners" last week at a sewing class in Clearwater.......you could tell right away who they were; rude and crude and soooooo loud! No manners and enjoyed being loud about it. Vocabulatory limited to mostly 4 letter words.

I am a Native/Native. American Indian and Floridian and VERY proud of it. If you don't like us please leave.

I lived in New Hampshire for a year back in 1983, was so glad to finally leave there.