Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Moving - How do you pack your stash? >

Moving - How do you pack your stash?

Moving - How do you pack your stash?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 AM

These hints helped me drastically. I'm trying to get ready to move at the end of Sept. i just bought 20 med size boxes and 15 large boxes from UHAUL last Monday and spent $85.00. This is a drop in the bucket. I do have about 30 see thru 12x12x12 totes purchased at WalMart about 6 months ago to put some of my fabric in. They are see thru with blue or pink tops. I have a tendency to buy collections, a little bit at a time, so these totes are being used for those collections. I'm nervous that I won't have room for all of the fabric. So there will be some great deals on here soon. I am thankful for the idea of using trash bags as a liner inside the boxes. I hadn't even thought about that. Invaluable information on here. Thank you all for reading and responding to questions that people post. Cheryl
Old 07-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I might put fabric in plastic bags before setting it into a cardboard box, just in case there is a leak or other water hazard during the move itself.
This.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 AM

The last time I moved my stash all went into the smaller size boxes from Home Depot. Fabric is heavy and I knew we were doing the move ourselves.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I think it'll ruin all the fabric if you pack it... she should let you store it at your house. :)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by clynns
These hints helped me drastically. I'm trying to get ready to move at the end of Sept. i just bought 20 med size boxes and 15 large boxes from UHAUL last Monday and spent $85.00. This is a drop in the bucket. I do have about 30 see thru 12x12x12 totes purchased at WalMart about 6 months ago to put some of my fabric in. They are see thru with blue or pink tops. I have a tendency to buy collections, a little bit at a time, so these totes are being used for those collections. I'm nervous that I won't have room for all of the fabric. So there will be some great deals on here soon. I am thankful for the idea of using trash bags as a liner inside the boxes. I hadn't even thought about that. Invaluable information on here. Thank you all for reading and responding to questions that people post. Cheryl
You can get boxes from Home Depot and even Wal-Mart pretty cheap. Wal-Mart has a really nice size box for .88 cents.

If you're going to rent a U-Haul I highly recommend you get the safe move insurance. It saved me somewhere between $3 and $5 thousand!!! We were in a hail storm and the windshield, the roof and one whole side of the truck had to be replaced.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:42 AM

We have a 1/2 priced box store in Houston - there may be similar stores in your area. Saved me a bundle the last time I moved.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 AM

I had to laugh because I'm in the process of moving my stash for the 3rd time in as many years, and I think we have figured out the best way to do it, haha. (And no, I will NEVER move again unless someone packs ME in a box, and in that case, I will not care about what happens to everything else.) I'll write generally about moving because it sounds like lots of us are faced with this at some point in our lives!

We found the 16x16x18 boxes at Lowes or Home Depot (around 70 cents each) are the best for fabric and books. If you're moving yourself and don't want to injure your friends and family members, they won't be overly heavy. If you're using movers, they prefer the standard size boxes, the weight, and the fact that they stack so well in small spaces. Cardboard boxes that are packed properly (not overstuffed, not underfilled) can be stacked VERY high and hold up very well.

The issues that professional movers have with plastic containers is that they are not a standard size so they don't stack uniformly or evenly, they are often very heavy, and they are prone to collapse when they are stacked, especially with something heavy like fabric. Moving them yourself may also aggravate or create back problems. So cardboard is the way to go.

If you are doing a short move and your fabric will not be packed for more than a week or so, you needn't be concerned about developing any problems by wrapping it in plastic first. I use Tall Kitchen Trash bags with the drawstrings - they are a fast and easy way to get plastic around a stack of fabric, and you can use them in your kitchen after the move. It's worth the effort, because you never know if it will rain on moving day.

If the fabric will be stored at a facility during any part of the move, it's worth it to rent a climate-controlled unit, pack in cardboard, and take your chances with the rain. (Also better for your furniture.) We have never had a problem with rodents in nice, newer, very clean storage facilities. We did have some trouble with mice in a unit a few years ago, but in that case it was not climate controlled and my fabric was in plastic tubs. The mice didn't get into it, but the humidity did and it all smelled a bit musty when we got it out six months later. So, climate controlled and clean = good.

If you have projects in ziplocks and smaller plastic containers, set them into the same 16x16x24 cardboard boxes.

If you have any baskets or boxes that are too large to set into the boxes, you can get the next size, 18x18x24, place one container or basket inside and fill the rest of the space with packaged and scrap batting.

Sewing notions and thread are best packed in plastic containers with secure lids and placed inside a cardboard box. You can again use batting to fill the extra space, or a quilt top, folded and bagged first.

When we move ourselves, we always get a roll of plastic from the UHaul store and wrap up the sewing and cutting tables so the drop leaves won't band around and get damaged. This is standard practice with good moving companies.

Finally, we pack the machines (I have a domestic Bernina as well as a TinLizzie longarm) in their original boxes because that offers the best protection. If you don't have original packaging, be sure to purchase sturdy boxes that are large enough to allow lots of padding: foam, batting, etc. so they won't be damaged by bumps and, worst case, if the boxes falls over in the truck. If that concerns you a lot, a few glasses of wine the night before moving might help allay your fears.

I hope this helps! If I've forgotten anything, please ask. I'm off to pack some more fabric. We move a week from Saturday. For the LAST time in my life. Right?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Depends on how large her stash is.
I use large plastic garbage cans on wheels with lock on top. Don't have to worry about it getting dirty and easy to move from room to room.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

i used plastic totes
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

I found a fabulous way to pack my stash in December when I bought a house. I used my fabric as a cushion for my plates, pictures in frames, glasses. This way I something to prevent breakage and got the fabric packed all at the same time. Saved using that nasty newspaper to wrap your dishes.