Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Moving to Kentucky

Moving to Kentucky

Hello, All,

I'm moving to Danville, Kentucky in exactly five weeks. Yikes! Although sad to leave the Cleveland, Ohio area, I'm excited for the new adventure.

Danville is about 40 minutes south of Lexington. I don't know much about the area and welcome any suggestions and advice about quilting-related things to do in Kentucky--in addition, of course, to the National Quilt Museum in Paducah. (And, hey, and if you want to let me know your favorite restaurant, place to shop, independent bookstore, yoga studio, weekend bike route, camping spot, hair salon, grocery store, farmers' market, coffee/tea shop, etc., I'm collecting suggestions for those too!)

Though I'm mostly excited to explore the area and see what it has to offer, I'm especially on the lookout for fabric stores that have more than just quilting cottons. I sew garments and, in my quilts, use a lot of wool, corduroy, flannel, cotton, and silk (been experimenting with leather too). I almost never use prints, so a place that has a variety of high-quality solid or mostly-solid fabric in a variety of materials would be the candy store of my dreams.

Also, I'm the proud owner of two Juki's. From the Juki website, I see the closest dealer is in Louisville (Austin's). Anyone have experience with them? Good, fair prices on maintenance, etc.?

As always, so appreciative of the warmth and good advice on this board.

Best,
    A
    "All good things come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." --Norman Maclean

Good luck with your new adventure...how exciting!!
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I would Google for locations of quilt shops. One of the states I have never been to. Good luck with the move.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I live about an hour from Danville. When you get settled, post and I'll send you my phone number--maybe we can get together. You will be at Herrington Lake, which is nice. Not a bad drive to Lexington and I'll be glad to show you the quilt shops there.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

Blog Entries
    Danville has a nice outdoor dinner theater that we went to a few years ago. Don't know if it is still there, but worth checking out!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Blog Entries
    We are supposed to be getting a Hobby Lobby (about time) to open in early 2016. There are a couple of good places to purchase fabric.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Ginaky View Post
    I live about an hour from Danville. When you get settled, post and I'll send you my phone number--maybe we can get together. You will be at Herrington Lake, which is nice. Not a bad drive to Lexington and I'll be glad to show you the quilt shops there.
    Thanks so much, Ginkaky. I'll send you a PM once I'm all settled. Looking forward!
    "All good things come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." --Norman Maclean

Blog Entries
    Welcome to ky, if you come to Paducah a must is Handcocks of Paducah ,I was there just two days ago got every thing I needed they are so nic/e there, I told Mr Handcock I could never work for him as I have bad hair days and all of the folks who work for never seem to lol there are a few other quilt and fabric stores in Paducah, in Sept there is a quilt retreat over in Mt Joseph Runaway quilters so much fun!!! pm me and will give you my number so we can meet when you come to town or if you want more info on retreat,
    Last edited by leaha; 06-25-2015 at 06:52 AM.
    dare to dream

I am sure you will find many shop experiences in central Kentucky, however, if you happen to be in Western Kentucky you may want to stop by Murray Sewing Center in Murray, KY lots and lots of great fabrics at really good prices!
    Sondra

Blog Entries
    I'll vouch for Austins...their pricing is really fair...service is excellent and they carry a great variety of fabric too! All of my machines came from Austins, and they do all the servicing. Great place, and great people!
    Life happens...and we react...

Many years ago, I visited a fabric store in Louisville that was 6 stories tall and carried different fabrics on each floor. They also had every type of button you would ever want. I thought I was in the garment district in NYC, it was so complete. I cannot remember the name or whether it is even there now, but you might be able to find out.

yel
    Blog Entries
    oh my i think there is a sonny's bbq in sommerset .yum yum

Welcome to Kentucky. I live about 30 miles from Danville and have visited their Quilt Guild. Check with the Boyle County Extension office about it. They hold their meetings at the extension. I have some friends that are members of my guild and are also members there and when they have special meetings they invite me to go with them. The most recent was an excellent trunk show.

Carolynjo that store closed a few years ago. Was a real fire trap! I never got to shop there but someone once bought me some fabric there.
    Sabrinao Danville is a nice spot to live! Welcome to Kentucky!! Even tho I live in the western part of KY, I have shopped at Among Friends quilt shop in Louisville. Whittles is in the south central part close to the Tennessee line also. I'm sure when you get settled, people will be glad to share their favorite spots with you.

Wow! Thanks for all the good wishes and great ideas. I'd answer you all individually, but that would clog up the thread. I've written down all sorts of notes from all y'all's suggestions. Grateful for the generosity that is so indicative of this board!

Power Poster
    I have family in kentucky. It is a very pretty state.