Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My cacti flowers

My cacti flowers

Wanted to share my cacti flowers with you. I love these.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Very pretty! I have a nice size patch of these as well and the only drawback is....weeding. I wear gloves before I go anywhere near them but still usually end up getting stuck.

Very pretty.

God in all His wonder blessed us with color. Thank goodness.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful flowers - Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Very pretty! I have a nice size patch of these as well and the only drawback is....weeding. I wear gloves before I go anywhere near them but still usually end up getting stuck.

Oh I know. They're treacherous!

Blog Entries
    very pretty, what kind of cactus is that?
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Prickley Pears. My husband and I collected several on a trip to Montana/Nebraska about 11 years ago. We've been propogating and splitting them regularly (in the greenhouse). Last year we finally gave them up and my husband dumped them into the burn pile. We didn't do a burn last year ... guess what ... not only are they alive, they're blooming. I might have to scoop them up and plant them somewhere
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

We bought the house in Dec and I've got a patch of these with other cacti-ripping them all out. Nothing worse then trying to pick those suckers out of a dog.
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

Very beautiful.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
    We bought the house in Dec and I've got a patch of these with other cacti-ripping them all out. Nothing worse then trying to pick those suckers out of a dog.
    Or yourself. Dear you won't have to worry too long about these spreading, they will soon enough and then the only way to get rid of them is to dig them out. We have so many growing wild here along with other cactus. The ranchers here have special torches called pare burners an burn them to get the stickers off, for cattle to eat when there isn't enough grass due to drought conditions. Prickly pears also have small red apples grow on them and a lot of people make jelly from the apples, if you can get rid of the stickers. Not me, when I was young I was visiting a girlfriend one weekend who lived on a sheep ranch, we went with her dad to check a water tank, and being a kid, didn't pay attention to what was outside the pickup where we stopped. When I got out I tripped over a large prickly pare patch and fell right into big middle. Well it took most of the day for my friend to use a flashlight and tweezers to pick the stickers out of my bottom and the back of my thighs, glad I was wearing jeans and not shorts. Be careful their stickers are so fine and hard to see, and can easily get infected if you don't get them out of your skin. The only cactus I ever want around are those without stickers.

Blog Entries
    I walked to the Pharmacy yesterday and on the way passed a huge cactus that was blooming. dark pink blossoms.

Yes, they are very invasive, but the flower they show softens their meanness. The fruit produced after the flower is eatable...tastes like cross between strawberry and watermelon.....I don't know if these are fruit producing, but I do know somewhere in the world they are...hard to find in stores...must cut skin off with gloves on under running water..at least that is how my dd mil taught me!

When the purple balls (the pear) is ripe we make prickly pear jam and syrup. It so good.

Beautiful Flowers, where I live in the NW never see any thing like them.

I watched a yard crasher show last weekend. They said they have prickly pear cactus without the stickers. I had some years ago and let them die out.
    I have house cactus and letting the winter get them, after 40 or so years I am tired of messing with them. We are taking out the 4' x 4' greenhouse window because the new overhang reduces the light.
    The flowers are beautiful.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    The flowers are beautiful!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Beautiful !! dislike the prickleys tho !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

These remind me of my mother. My mother had a large (6+ feet) plant that bloomed and made fruit. She would peel the fruit and eat it out of hand. Very sour! I made her some beautiful hot pink jam out of it one year after she had peeled them for me (they have spiky little furry things on them.)

I always used tongs when working in the cactus bed, but if you get stuck, spread Elmers glue on the places, let it dry thoroughly, then peel it off like a piece of paper.

Power Poster
    Beautiful, reminds me of some my Mom had in her garden. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, they are pretty, in Australia they grow everywhere in the wild and are considered a "pest", lots and lots of them were destroyed when the first settlers came but not before someone decided to try to make a jam with their fruit and I heard it tastes very nice
    Elfi
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds....you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds!!!

The things you do for yourself are gone when you’re gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy. ~ Kalu Kalu

These are absolutely gorgeous.
    Liz Fairlie

Blog Entries
    I just make your beautiful flower picture my screen saver!