My Christmas Cactus

Old 12-04-2009, 10:47 AM

Gorgeous cactus. I have two big ones at work, as I have a southeast facing window. I really need to feed them more often. I used to have a wonderful white flowered one, but, in a moment of weakness, gave it to a client who fell in love with it. I've not found another white one since.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I will keep a look out for you Ducky, I can just see me putting it in a ziplock bag and mailing it off (might have to wait til spring so it doesn't freeze on the way)
Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 PM

i really wish i could grow them, but i have a black thumb.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:04 PM

It's gorgeous! Xmas cactus' are the only plant that I can keep alive - everything else dies on me!!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
Well, I hope it doesn't meet the fate of my first Christmas Cactus! My cats ate it down to the dirt within 30 minutes of my bringing it into the house and putting it where they could reach it! LOL
Well, my plant is on the Kitchen table. Orion was sniffing at it when we came in, but she's not allowed on the table, so hopefully she'll behave herself when we're not around. 'm not worried about Leia, she's too lazy to haul her but up to the table anyway, lol.I Maybe I could spritz vinegar or tabasco on the leaves to discourage her from eating it just in case?
Old 12-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bearpaw
It's gorgeous! Xmas cactus' are the only plant that I can keep alive - everything else dies on me!!
I hear you, I hear you! We try, we really do! I've had the same friggin bird of paradise plant for a year and a half now... and it's not doing much. We planted seeds, only two sprouts came up. Sasha had the brilliant idea of putting the plant outside for some fresh air this summer when we were having a squirrel problem, of course the squirrel ate one of the sprouts!
This is after the same plant was dropped on it's head during our move, and the moron who dropped it LEFT IT THERE!!!
We planted two pineapple tops to try and grow a pineapple plant... now they're brown. We bought a pepper plant, with peppers already on it, it died, we have some kind of bromelaid (sp?) plant to replace the one we had at the other place that died, this one lost all it's beautiful colour and isn't doing anything now... it's still green, but it's not doing much.
We have two other plants, more like small trees, in the house that are surviving well, don't ask me how. We fully expected them to join the rest and croak.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Dix

When I worked in a physician's office we had out of date birth control pills. I had lovely plants all winter because we fed them the pills, one or two, depending on the size, each week.
dix
Old 12-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
Well, my plant is on the Kitchen table. Orion was sniffing at it when we came in, but she's not allowed on the table, so hopefully she'll behave herself when we're not around. 'm not worried about Leia, she's too lazy to haul her but up to the table anyway, lol.I Maybe I could spritz vinegar or tabasco on the leaves to discourage her from eating it just in case?
That might kill the plant....
Old 12-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dix
When I worked in a physician's office we had out of date birth control pills. I had lovely plants all winter because we fed them the pills, one or two, depending on the size, each week.
dix
LMBO I never would have thought of that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Wow that's big and beautiful!