My Christmas Cactus

Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

I love your Christmas cactus. My mom had one she babied and it would never bloom for her. The first Christmas we had after she had passed away it had tones of blooms. It was like she was with us in spirit.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 PM

I have seen beautiful Christmas cacti! Yours is wonderful as well. I don't have any buds on mine. :-(
Old 12-10-2009, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
They're amazing plants. You just about CAN'T kill them!
You have never seen what I can do to plants..without even trying.

But I do have a cactus which I picked up a week ago at the supermarket for the center of a side-table at a dessert party. I can't believe it.........it bloomed

There's always a first......so they tell me
Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Power Poster

My MIL's X-mas cactus actually popped the pot. It's roots were so strong. She has two green thumbs. I have two brown ones and a bad plantitude. (I'm in cute's "will kill plastic plants category).
Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 PM

I repotted mine in October that my MIL gave me a couple of years ago and it's not doing anything. I water it about every other month in the winter and once a month in summer....should I be doing something more/less/different? It's lovely when it blooms. but the last two years it hasn't put out more than two blooms total.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Power Poster

Not to sure about before, but they usually like to settle into a new home before blooming, they will bloom when they are truly happy, and just how that is achieved is anyones guess, plants behave differently and are different, people will say that I am nuts but they to have personalities of their own, Try giving it some attention, they know if they are loved.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Leota
I repotted mine in October that my MIL gave me a couple of years ago and it's not doing anything. I water it about every other month in the winter and once a month in summer....should I be doing something more/less/different? It's lovely when it blooms. but the last two years it hasn't put out more than two blooms total.
Leota, if your plant has gotten pretty leggy, like mine did, pinch back the ends fairly ruthlessly. I always add liquid plant food to my water. And check to make sure that the plant has adequate dirt. Mine "eat" the dirt, and after a year or so, only a ball of roots is left, so I have to either divide it and repot in two or more different pots, or put it into a bigger pot with more dirt. And make sure that it gets good indirect sun. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

you mention watering but not fertilizing... I wonder if it is getting enough light? also some of these are picky about drafts, the do not like cold ones.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:52 PM

In response to all..
Lots of indirect light
I have never fertilized it ... didn't know cactus needed it
I talk to it and my Aloes on a regular basis.
I haven't pinched it back...but the "leaves" are shriveled some...like not enough water but I know it's gotten enough..
Not in a drafty place. but I don't put it in a dark place 24/7 either....
Old 12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

In response to all..
Lots of indirect light
I have never fertilized it ... didn't know cactus needed it
I talk to it and my Aloes on a regular basis.
I haven't pinched it back...but the "leaves" are shriveled some...like not enough water but I know it's gotten enough..
Not in a drafty place. but I don't put it in a dark place 24/7 either....
Leota, neither drafts nor dark matter, but the shriveled leaves mean it hasn't gotten enough water and/or nutrients. That is why it doesn't bloom. I water my cactus no less than every two weeks.