Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My dog stinks! what do you use on yours??

My stinky man is a 100 lb golden retriever named Scruffy and he is certainly living up to his name!

What do you use on your dog? Does it control the smell for a long time?

A Bath???
    We just gave our labs a bath last week, they smell so much better.
    There is a product out there, I've used in the past but don't remember the name.
    I'm not much help am I????
    No fun having a stinky dog around, I know from much experience!!!

When my Chow was alive, I used lemon joy dish washing liquid. It also helped get rid of any fleas she had.

With the rain we have been having here in NY our boxer stinks as well. It's generally not a problem but that may be because I use medicated soap for his skin allergies. You may be able to get some help from a website a friend of mine uses all the time for her dog issues:
    http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2095&aid=813

Banned
    The only thing that seems to help my dog is a bath. And ever since we took away people away from her she doesn't get as stinky as fast :)

My vet says dandruff shampoo once or twice a week, and that has done the trick for my bassett hound, and as some of you know hounds do smell! I was always under the impression that you shouldn't wash dogs that often cause it would dry them out.My vet says it is an "old wives tale"

We use Dawn (blue kind). Kills smells and ticks ... for awhile!

Banned
    I thought that too. thanks for telling me, now I can bath mine more often :)
    Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    My vet says dandruff shampoo once or twice a week, and that has done the trick for my bassett hound, and as some of you know hounds do smell! I was always under the impression that you shouldn't wash dogs that often cause it would dry them out.My vet says it is an "old wives tale"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltwoman
    My stinky man is a 100 lb golden retriever named Scruffy and he is certainly living up to his name!

I have never known a golden that didn't smell. They love water, mud, snow, you name it. My neighbor's golden smelled terrible last year until they discovered she had a thyroid problem, the medication helped with her smell, but she is still stinky.

Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6

I have never known a golden that didn't smell. They love water, mud, snow, you name it. My neighbor's golden smelled terrible last year until they discovered she had a thyroid problem, the medication helped with her smell, but she is still stinky.
    Two of my (now deceased) labs had thyroid problems. Putting them on meds sure made a difference. Anna (who passed in Sep) nearly went bald, when we put her on thyroid meds she grew a beautiful full coat and did not smell quite so bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6

Two of my (now deceased) labs had thyroid problems. Putting them on meds sure made a difference. Anna (who passed in Sep) nearly went bald, when we put her on thyroid meds she grew a beautiful full coat and did not smell quite so bad.
    Evidently it is a common problem with goldens, according to their vet. She had clumps of fur coming out and smelled just terrible. After about a month she lost some weight she had gained, started growing her hair back and lost that awful smell.

Bring my sheepdog in the shower with me and give him a good scrubbin'. He smells much better afterward. After I bathe my Maltese, I give her a spray with my Vicky Secrets perfume...she smells "Heavenly".

I use no-tears puppy shampoo. It's gentle and makes him smell as sweet as when he was a puppy. (He's 6!) Then I follow-up with people-type conditioner. He goes from stinky to sweet!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thequiltmama
    The only thing that seems to help my dog is a bath. And ever since we took away people away from her she doesn't get as stinky as fast :)
    Do you mean she's not allowed to eat the mailman any more??? No fun in that.

One of my dogs doesn't smell and doesn't need baths- Siberian/Shiba Inu. The Border Collie/Lab has an odor after a while, but a good brushing takes care of it. I do have several waterless shampoos for her, but I rarely use them. When she gets a bath it's Tropiclean Medicated Oatmeal shampoo and conditioner because she used to have skin problems.

As a retired groomer and having bathed over thousands of dogs first make sure he doesn't have a skin problem which can make them smell and follow your vets recommendation as to what medicated shampoo he needs to treat the problem.I have 2 large Rottweilers and they have a standing appointment for a good bath once every month by me.Make sure you use a DOG shampoo because their PH is not like humans and baby shampoo is actually not gentle for dogs.....My dogs are house dogs and they need to be clean and smelling good.....Hope I helped....

We use a dog shampoo that smells like coconut.....reminds me of Summer, lol!

Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem with odor from my "kids" - they are Bichon Frise crossbreds and do not smell (even when wet). What I use on the other guy (a German Shepard) is a few apritzes of Lambert-Kay's Fresh 'n Clean. He then smells just fine and it lasts for awhile (bathe first though).

bot to a store like petsupermarket they have aspray deordent you can buy it will help between baths i always used a medicated shampoo on my dog she was alergic to grass would get puss bumps all over herself i kept thinking they were ant bites but vet said no

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    My vet says that it's not good to wash dogs often because it does dry out their skin. My dog, Roxie, has dry skin and I bathe her usually every other week or every other 2 weeks.

Monthly bath for the lab...he hates water. Puppy wipes in between. Yorkie gets weekly bath and groomed monthly. Both vet shampoos...one dry skin and one senstive. They are both inside dogs and can't stand them to be smelly.

I use Ivory or Joy. It kills the fleas and they smell better and softer too.

We used horse shampoo on our skin sensative Sharpei.

Get some Alpha-Keri bath oil. After you wash the dog in whatever you choose take a gallon or so of warm water and put a couple of squirts of the alpha-Keri in it. It will go white and disolve instantly. Then rince the final rince with it and do not rice it off. You dog will smell wonderful, his skin will be conditioned and he will not be greasy. It is awsome.

I bathe and dry dogs for a groomer, all day long, and we use a product called Fresh N Clean, Petsmart used to carry it, but ours here does not anymore, we get it at our local grocery store...been using it for years, it is the best! Comes in a scent, (orange colored) and oatmeal for sensitive skin, pale green color...bathed a yorkie yesterday that had been sprayed by a skunk, and it almost took it out, not quite, as you may know how that goes, but almost! I use it on my dogs at home as well, there is also a cologne spray Fresh N Clean, the floral scent, not the baby powder, smells GREAT! Just like they got done at the grooming shop! lol!

What does he eat? Many dogs react to various ingredients in food with extra oil or flakes which can be smelly. Clumps of hair falling out is not normal! Neither is excessive D.O. (doggie odor).

I am an advocate of real, whole food for dogs: I can vouch what a grain free raw natural diet does for doggy breath and doggie smells...and while I know thats not for everyone, you might try a better/different food (even if you are feeding a good food, he may just react to it badly).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast