Car shopping stinks!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 PM

So this week my little old 89 honda broke down...car shopping sure is stinky when you HAVE to do it. I am so tired of looking, and tired of dealing with sleazy car sales men who won't leave you alone! I just wish magically some car would pop up and be a great deal and affordable and just wonderful because I am SO tired of looking for something. :( Just thought I'd vent...
Old 05-07-2010, 10:28 PM

My last car shopping was last September. No matter how much negotions you go thru, when you leave the dealership you still feel you got the bad end of the deal. I thought I got a good deal of talking them down from 21K to 17K but now I don't know. But I'm happy with my car. It is a RED 08 Toyota RAV4. The important thing is that it is RED. For a 62 year old grandma. I've never had a red car in my life.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 PM

My husband has those sleazy guys steppin and fetchin by time he is done. ..lol

Do some research on the internet, they hate that. Come prepared on what you want and want "toys" you want in the car. Know the blue book value of the type of car you want. That way you know a bargain when you see it. Also makes a nice bargaining chip.
Most important, don't except anything less then what you want. If they can't offer it, walk away. If they want a sale bad enough they will seek you out to come back. This worked for us on my new truck when we bought it. We wanted nerf bars and a lower price (less than 20k, sticker price was 40k and we had a 20k trade in.) they said they couldn't. We walked , went next door to another dealer. They called us back 20 minutes later with a deal.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Ya... I'm trying to be smart about it and I've done lots of research and have my brother helping me, but I have no idea how to bargain ahhh! I have one sales guy eating out of my hand...but it's still just too expensive. I'm a student and i pay rent, car insurance, cell phone, to add a car payment on top of that is going to SUCK!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:55 PM

I got a new car last weekend...a 2010 Ford Fusion. It was a program car with 20,000 miles on. It's the newest car I've ever had. My 1999 Mercury Sable (which I loved) literally broke last week. A front spring snapped and immediately blew out my tire and the car bottomed out. I'm blessed I was still in the neighborhood...12 mintues later I would have been going 70mph on the freeway. We had it towed and the towtruck driver couldn't believe how lucky I was. If I'd been going any faster the car would have rolled. I would have lost all control.

After that experience we decided to get a much newer car with a high safety rating since I'm on the road nearly 2 hours each day. We had a great experience with the local Ford dealer, knew the salesman, excellent customer service, and they gave me a dozen red roses when we picked up the car. We love the new car, it rides great, and hopefully I never have to try out its 6 airbags ! We might have saved a tad more shopping around but they gave us a bit of tradein on the Sable, which was towed to them. No other dealer would have touched it, so we probably did as well as we could under the circumstances. I hate car payments, but it's nice to know I've got reliable wheels for a while.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by KarenSimon
... But I'm happy with my car. It is a RED 08 Toyota RAV4. The important thing is that it is RED. For a 62 year old grandma. I've never had a red car in my life.
I hope you love your new ride....I just bought a 2006 RED Kia Sportage....I love RED too! Maybe it's a "Karen" thing, eh? (BTW isn't it odd that we have several "Karen"s here? I never met another Karen until I was 22!!) And I agree buying a car is AWFUL. Eventhough I do tons of research and price comparisons etc I just know that they're ***** me somehow.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ilovequilts
So this week my little old 89 honda broke down...car shopping sure is stinky when you HAVE to do it. I am so tired of looking, and tired of dealing with sleazy car sales men who won't leave you alone! I just wish magically some car would pop up and be a great deal and affordable and just wonderful because I am SO tired of looking for something. :( Just thought I'd vent...
When I go to a car lot knowing what I want and I don't deal well with salesman I just tell them up front I don't have time for BS so cut to the chase! They look at me like I'm godzilla and usually don't give me any crap. :lol: :lol:
Old 05-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

My Boyfriend is an auto mechanic, and he swears by buying from private owners, as they are usually cheaper, and no extra pushy salesmen! Course, you really gotta check the car over well too! GOOD LUCK, I just hate spending that kind of money!
Old 05-08-2010, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Originally Posted by ilovequilts
When I go to a car lot knowing what I want and I don't deal well with salesman I just tell them up front I don't have time for BS so cut to the chase! They look at me like I'm godzilla and usually don't give me any crap. :lol: :lol:
Ummm Maryse, do you wear that avatar when you go car shopping?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:03 AM

I had a car saleman tell me that they do not make any money on new cars - it is one the used cars they sell. When I was in banking a fellow loan person actually got the actual price the car cost the dealership and when I walked back in with that they couldn't believe it. Probably the last car I got a deal on!!