Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My hubby won a prize

My hubby's hobby is gardening, and particularly flowers. In 2008 he got a Diploma for the display he created, but last month he was presented with the 2009 3rd prize in the Concours Floralies for the Department. He is chuffed as the 1st and 2nd places went to professionals. So now he wants to improve! and we start seed sowing in about 4/5 weeks.
    Here are some photos - bear with me, there quite a few!
    Attached Images Attached Images

How pretty!! He has a green thumb!

more

more

more

more

more

more

How wonderful it looks like a nursery that we have here.

Congrats to your Hubby! What beautiful magic he has performed! when I imagine France, your photos are what always comes to mind. My sweet husband is talented like that also, he has turned our little piece of Colorado clay into something more fertile that I always wanted, but never believed was possible.

lastly
    And I forgot to say he was also given a beautiful limited edition Larousse gardening book, and cash vouchers for 2 nurseries to buy things for the garden.

Katrine,

Your DH is a Master Gardener for sure.
    His fuschia's, begonias, petunias, sweet william (I think), and all the others are absolutely breathtaking.
    Glad to see you use rainbarrels. We intend to make some this year. We figure we need about 5 around the house. Heaven knows we get enough rain!

Wow-I am so impressed that I am speechless!!! How absolutely gorgeous. Making me long for Spring and Summer.

Yes but the rain barrels are not enough for about 200 or so containers. And rainfall doesnt fall into hanging or wall baskets as you know. We've been here 19 years and this year is the first time we were on water rationing from August. We could only water after 8pm up to 8am. The Limousin is a very green forested area with lots of lakes so it was unusual.

Wow, Katrine! Does your husband do this all, or do you help? If he does this alone, you must have a lot of time for quilting! Such beauty! It is wonderful inspiration for quilts.

I am green with envy :mrgreen: my gardening skills are minimal.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Oh my, he is incredibly talented. he must look funny walking around with a green thumb!! LOL, just kidding! Seriously, your photos are something out of a magazine on the french country or something. Really amazing...and it's all in pots. Does he have a watering system? I would think so...too much to walk around and water all the time!

Absolutely beautiful,gorgeous !!! I can imagine all the hours of work he puts into taking care of all these plants. He does absolutely magnifcent work and deserves lots of awards. You are lucky to be able to admire this gorgeous scenery. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
    Wow, Katrine! Does your husband do this all, or do you help? If he does this alone, you must have a lot of time for quilting! Such beauty! It is wonderful inspiration for quilts.

I am green with envy :mrgreen: my gardening skills are minimal.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    I do help in that I sow, then weeks afterwards, thin out the seedlings, plant up the containers. But Peter does all the daily watering and weekly feeding as there is so much. We go our separate ways after midday - he to the garden, me to the sewing room!
    When we first came to France we had a very small business cultivating and selling the exotic big bloomed fuchsias and it did very well - we even had coaches arriving. Not our background I might add - we are both ex car industry.
    And once a TV station came and filmed us. But after about 8 years we had had enough, now its just for our pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Oh my, he is incredibly talented. he must look funny walking around with a green thumb!! LOL, just kidding! Seriously, your photos are something out of a magazine on the french country or something. Really amazing...and it's all in pots. Does he have a watering system? I would think so...too much to walk around and water all the time!
    No, no watering system - all the containers are watered every day by Peter - and when it goes to about 32C some are watered morning and evening. I suppose he spends 3 or 4 hours seeing to it all every day. Sometimes I do duty by filling the cans one after the other for him!

What an absolute pleasure your flower garden must be for you and for anyone fortunate enough to partake in the beauty. I can not imagine anything that garden center would have that you DONT already have. Stunning. Its like a picture book garden or a magazine cover. Surely his garden should be gracing the front page so EVERYONE can drool.

What a beautiful way to start the morning! Looking at such a gorgeous garden. It is so inspirational! I especially love tiered effect of the hanging red dragon wing begonias and the blue lobelia and bacopa underneath..... stunning! The fuschias are just beautiful. I am not able to grow those very well in Nebraska. It is too warm, humid and mostly windy! I also love to see the scaveola... I have been using more of that in my garden. It is so foolproof. But.... I have to say that my absolute favorite is the use of the moss covered rocks for bed edging! I want to have mossy rocks in my garden, but again, it is Nebraska and I don't have much shade! I am trying to start a small moss garden on the north of my garden shed. It has been minimally successful. Tell your husband that it has been a pleasure to have a virtual tour of your garden! Many thanks.

Blog Entries
    Stunning! Congratulations to your husband.

Quote Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    What a beautiful way to start the morning! Looking at such a gorgeous garden. It is so inspirational! I especially love tiered effect of the hanging red dragon wing begonias and the blue lobelia and bacopa underneath..... stunning! The fuschias are just beautiful. I am not able to grow those very well in Nebraska. It is too warm, humid and mostly windy! I also love to see the scaveola... I have been using more of that in my garden. It is so foolproof. But.... I have to say that my absolute favorite is the use of the moss covered rocks for bed edging! I want to have mossy rocks in my garden, but again, it is Nebraska and I don't have much shade! I am trying to start a small moss garden on the north of my garden shed. It has been minimally successful. Tell your husband that it has been a pleasure to have a virtual tour of your garden! Many thanks.
    The red dragonwings, lobelia and bacopa were done because they are the colours of the French flag!
    And we sure have plenty of moss here. Too much in fact - with the oak and chestnut forests we have plenty of humidity. We used to power-wash some of the moss off the old bread oven at the front and patio area, but it's as bad again in a couple of months, just a waste of water, so now we live with it.
    I love the scaveola too, it usually flowers until end October here and looks wonderful with pink or red geraniums.

From Baltimore, currently live in Charlotte, NC
    Soooooooo lovely. I would pay to walk around and visit your beautiful flowers. I love your house, too. Tell your husband he's 1st place in my opinion!! :-)

Blog Entries
    That is exactly what I see in my head when I think of France! Sooo beautiful and the patience to tend to all of the pots..amazingly beautiful! The award is quite an honor, but I think living amongst all the beauty is an award in itself!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast