My humble childhood

Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Originally Posted by calla
I walked to school, and ate what was in my brown paper bag from home..........calla
----------------------------------------
But I was higher class..I carried a metal lunch bucket that lard had come in, ate home made ham covered with mustard in a biscuit sandwich and drank room temp butter milk in a pint jar.
But I got to eat in the eating room of the school cafe, it had huge posters all over the walls with a big ear on one saying "Even the Walls have Ears" and "Jack Sprat could eat no fat and his wife could eat no Lean" which showed that married couple, a skinny man and a fat woman.
Another one told us to buy WAR BONDS and I think every week I took in a dime for a stamp for a savings book.
I had the same stamp savings book, but never did know what happened to the money as I never saw it again.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
Another one I've been preaching to my kids...college with a typewriter, your imagination and white-out. No Google or internet.
And you had to be able to carry large stacks of books to school. No internet, so we had to learn to use a card catalog!
Old 09-07-2011, 05:20 PM

swimming in the pond running barefoot all summer riding bikes without a helmet and taking long walkes all over the country side with only a freindly dog for protection. no cell phones or nintendo only got tv when i was in high school. (and im probly alot younger than you think)wish my kids could grow up like this. maybe when we move out off town.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:32 PM

Standing at the edge of the country road looking up to the neighbors house, hoping to go and play ball in the yard or race our bikes or crawl through tunnels in the hay mow......and when my sis fell and hit her head, our kind neighbor lady working together with my mom and nobody upset. Live was simple and more gentle.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:22 PM

Seatbelts weren't even thought of yet. We would hop in a wagon going down hill without any gear. I hung diapers on the line before school. In the winter I had to stack them like cordwood, careful not to break them to bring them in to thaw so I could fold them after school. I babysat my 5 younger siblings at age 10 and could handle any emergency as well as my mom. Mama taught me to drive at 12. We even cut up whole chickens ourselves which I could do at 12 years old.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:42 PM

and how about killing a wild pig and butchering it and making saausage and smoking it
Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM

My childhood may have been more illicit...dad poured old motor oil and gasoline into the ground and my mom probably smoked while breastfeeding me. We're getting smarter, society. High five that! Don't turn my family in, they're model citizens now! ;)
That's a matter of opinion. I would go back to those days in a heartbeat. People were civil to each other and helped each other. You knew your neighbors because you grew up with them. Your family lived in the same town, not halfway across the country. You didn't have to be afraid to walk down the street at night. We didn't have to lock our houses. You could get a loan at the bank on your reputation. People trusted you and you trusted people. People weren't strung out on drugs, prescription and otherwise. People didn't have to go the the DR. every week. You could wear hand me downs to school and no one made fun of you because they did too. We respected our elders.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 PM

Another one I've been preaching to my kids...college with a typewriter, your imagination and white-out. No Google or internet.
Huh! College with a typewriter, carbon paper and a wheel eraser with a brush. NO TVs at college. NO slacks on coeds. Jackets and ties on men. NO opposite sex visitors in the residence halls. Curfews. Blue books. NO cars for underclassmen. Chaperones at all social functions. Work-Study jobs. Off-campus jobs.

I'd go back in a minute.

:thumbup:
Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 PM

We keep our rooms clean put dirty clothes in the cloths hammper. Help fold the clean cloths and put them away. When Mom or Dad said we had five more minutes before lites outs we were thrilled
Old 09-08-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Believe it or not I walked to school up hill BOTH ways:)
I lived at the top of the hill and school was at the top of the next hill.
LOL

So it is true , you can walk up hill to school both ways but was is in 5 feet of snow?