My imagination or.....

Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 PM

Okay, tonite I was checking out electric firelplaces on QVC, and as I was going thru topics just now, I see at the bottom of the pages they are advertising electric fireplaces from QVC. Am I going crazy? I thought I saw this before with other things I looked at but chalked it up as coinsidence. Now I'm not quite so sure about that. Seems like some other things I have looked up online all of a sudden end up at the bottom the page. Hmmmm, anyone else notice things like this?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM

All the time! There must be some advertising link to whatever you google search.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Very tricky!

I haven't noticed it yet, but will watch for it.

I wonder if it matters that I use a mac? Macs don't get the spam that PCs get, at least they didn't used to, but now that the mac market is growing, I'm sure more energy will be spent in that direction :(

Originally Posted by trisha
Okay, tonite I was checking out electric firelplaces on QVC, and as I was going thru topics just now, I see at the bottom of the pages they are advertising electric fireplaces from QVC. Am I going crazy? I thought I saw this before with other things I looked at but chalked it up as coinsidence. Now I'm not quite so sure about that. Seems like some other things I have looked up online all of a sudden end up at the bottom the page. Hmmmm, anyone else notice things like this?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:37 AM

google does it, I have been researching new cars......namely the Dodge Challenger and now Dodge ads show up. Just hope no one looks up Progressive insurance....I can go without seeing old Flo.......LOL
Old 12-10-2010, 01:17 AM

It's not just google. It's adservers in general. When you go to site A, a cookie file is placed on your computer from the adserver they use. All of your searches are recorded.

When you go to site B that also uses the same adserver (probably google ads), it knows exactly what you're probably after and will serve up the ads accordingly.

The internet is surfing you. With that said, you can clear out your cookies regularly or just block them all together, but that could be more trouble than it's worth.