Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flannel Sheets- It's not my imagination!

Flannel Sheets- It's not my imagination!

I like flannel sheets, both on my bed and on the backs of my quilts. Lately, I've been finding it much more difficult to find tightly woven, good quality flannel sheets that don't shrink, pill or get really thin after a few washings. I was pretty positive that the quality has deteriorated and now I'm sure. I've been cleaning out closets and on the top shelf, I found a flannel sheet purchased from Sears probably twenty years ago which had never been used. It's thick, soft, has deep hems and best of all, Made in Canada! (Don't ask why it's been in the closet that long). It's absolutely perfect for the quilt top backing that I need to finish a quilt for my granddaughter. Now I wish there were a few more up there. Does anyone know a source for good quality flannel (sheets or yardage) at a reasonable cost?
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Power Poster
    I too have noticed the quality going down in fabric. Have you tried to find a good quality muslin lately? They go from canvas like to too thin with nothing I like in between. I have switched to white on whites or whilte on creams for my Red Work. The flannel seems nice when you buy it but pills when washed. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell in advance. This was good LQS flannel that pilled the last baby quilt I did. Good luck on your quest!

I tried Hobby Lobby, Joann's, and Hancocks to find just some plain black and some plain white cotton and all they had was this stuff that's only got one selvage edge. The other edge has been cut and then glued! Yes, some type of glue has been used to seal it and in places it's 1 1/4" wide. Very shabby quality. But then again, I don't look as good as I used to either.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Try The Vermont Country Store at www.VermontCountryStore.com or 802.776.5710 and I am NOT associated with them in any way. Some of the things they have will take you back! Some are quite amazing and unique in today's time.

I have give up on flannel. I bought "the good stuff" and paid big $$ at LQS and it pilled on the first washing , not as bad as some of the Jo'ann cheaper flannel , but pilled none the less.
    I thought sheets might be better , but from what you are saying .. quality flannel is not in most sheets either.

Also LL Bean has flannel sheets, different weights and free shipping, both ways. I love flannel sheets on my bed, winter and summer. I am not associated with them in any way except I order from them.

Blog Entries
    QVC's "Northern Nights" linen line has "Super Chunky" flannel bed sheets. These are the only flannel sheets I use now. I also use their 600 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets in the warmer months. Very nice quality on both.
    "I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane!"
    Valarie

I think JC Penny's sheets are really nice.

I agree with the LL Bean sheets - very good quality - or at least they were last time I bought them. Menopaus has made flannel sheets a thing of the past. I will also say that Moda flannel is very good. Bought some at a small shop in Lancaster last year and it was just yummy. Was a dream to work with.

Blog Entries
    We bought a red plaid flannel sheet set at Target last winter and they are the most fabulous flannel sheets that we have ever had. Wash after wash. The only problem is that they still bleed - don't want to wear a white nightgown as it will be pink by morning.
    Nikki in MO

I absolutely love Costco flannel sheets! They are so thick, soft and cozy, they wash and dry beautifully. Made in Portugal - I was looking at the LL Bean catalogue and their sheets are also made in Portugal - I am sure they are the same manufacturer.

Unfortunately you have to buy a set and I know you are looking for singles - I wouldn't even bother with Sears, Zellers or Wallies - you might luck out at Winners or one of the other home stores and get a quality single.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    Try The Vermont Country Store at www.VermontCountryStore.com or 802.776.5710 and I am NOT associated with them in any way. Some of the things they have will take you back! Some are quite amazing and unique in today's time.
    What a great site. I went looking for flannel sheets and found things I hadn't thought of in a long time.. I remember the Jubilee Kitchen Wax, and loved it. It made everything in the kitchen look like new again, and it smelled so good! I didn't use the Lifebuoy Soap, because it had a pretty strong smell, but it takes me back!

I like Lands End or LL Bean - they are expensive but they last forever and they are soft forever. Also, Lands End has a return policy - if you don't like something for any reason you can return and get a replacement or money back - even if you washed it and don't like the way its wearing. Now you have given me a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I too have noticed the quality going down in fabric. Have you tried to find a good quality muslin lately? They go from canvas like to too thin with nothing I like in between. I have switched to white on whites or whilte on creams for my Red Work. The flannel seems nice when you buy it but pills when washed. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell in advance. This was good LQS flannel that pilled the last baby quilt I did. Good luck on your quest!
    I have recently been on a quest for good white muslin for backing and for background for a repro quilt. Non-existant. It is all like cheesecloth. I have given up and started buying white on white also. Not a choice I really wanted, but I am not using crap for either background fabric, or backing.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Banned
    I know I'm in GB but Ialways used NAPGUARD make, they still do them ,think some now have poly in them for cheapness .

I've bought Woolrich flannel sheets at Target and they seem to be OK. Seems to me they are a little thicker than others.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I just got clearance regular 150 bucks for 45 bucks (king size) from khols They are unbeleiveable! They are plaids in reds or blues but they are so nice I didn't care about the colors!

Blog Entries
    Thnak you for the site it is a great one
    Old Quilters never die they just go to pieces.!!!!!!I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses. ......

When you are looking for flannel sheets or flannnel shirts look for the 100% cotton and made in Portugal. The flannel is alway nice. Don't forget thrift stores, they are a good source. If the sheets still look and feel nice, then they are a huge bargain when you calculate the price per yard.
    Sweet Caroline

I like Land's End flannel sheets, though I have not had any new ones for years and so can't comment on current quality. But the nice thing is they list the weight of the flannel in their catalog. I've never really known what 5 oz. and 7 oz. refer to (weight of a square yard? of a yard at full width? not sure), but they are heavier than any other I have ever found.

Blog Entries
    I bought some flannel sheets for our DGD's room ( spare room) at Target on sale and I was pleasently surprised at how good they are. Now as loosely woven or cheaply make as so many. You might check them out.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I buy sheets for my beds only from LLBean....they are thick and cozy. I guess they could also be used for the baCK of quilts...I dont use them for quilts.
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't use flannel for quilts, but I love flannel sheets..and you are not imagining it...the quality across the board has sunk to a new low...I used to buy the QVC Northern nights sheets..this year the set we got was so thin it was more like a brushed cotton than a flannel...and it pilled the first wash...we NEVER had those sheets pill....so...no more QVC sheets..I sent them back!

Blog Entries
    I bought some real thick and nice ones on line at Walmart. They do not carry them in the store.

barbir - I was thinking the same thing. I love LLBean's flannel sheets. They stay on the bed into summer before I switch to regular sheets. Summer calls for fresh, line dried cotton sheets!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast