Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flannel Sheets- It's not my imagination!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
    I like flannel sheets, both on my bed and on the backs of my quilts. Lately, I've been finding it much more difficult to find tightly woven, good quality flannel sheets that don't shrink, pill or get really thin after a few washings. I was pretty positive that the quality has deteriorated and now I'm sure. I've been cleaning out closets and on the top shelf, I found a flannel sheet purchased from Sears probably twenty years ago which had never been used. It's thick, soft, has deep hems and best of all, Made in Canada! (Don't ask why it's been in the closet that long). It's absolutely perfect for the quilt top backing that I need to finish a quilt for my granddaughter. Now I wish there were a few more up there. Does anyone know a source for good quality flannel (sheets or yardage) at a reasonable cost?
    Shelbie,
    Agreed, flannel sheets make wonderful backings for quilts. Gives them that extra softness many of us like. I have had wonderful luck shopping for flannel sheets at many Goodwill stores, or other thrift shops. Hubby and I hit them all when we are out on the road. Have found some very nice thick, soft, and pretty flannels. Keep on looking. You may be as lucky as I have been.
    Kitsy

Here are a couple of sites that have loads of flannel!! I've just purchased fabric from FlannelWorld for my grandson's rag quilt but haven't received it yet. Their prices are also great!! http://flannelqueen.com/index.htm and http://www.flannelworld.com/index.php FlannelWorld's prices are a lot more reasonable but check out both.
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

I just bought my first set of Cosco flannel sheets at a Warehouse outlet in Niagara Falls. They seem thick and have washed and dried well. I think that I will be a repeat customer. Thanks for all of your good suggestions.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Just recently we purchased flannel sheets from Target. Not something I thought I would like, but my husband thought the price was right. I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality. I think it would work as a quilt backing, but I know my DH will not give them up!
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

When I married and moved into my husband's "home place" I found an old comforter in the closet. It was a very dark stripped, flannel over an older quilt and tied with cotton cord. It had been used hard and showed wear and tear but that heavy cotton flannel was sturdy and still had plenty of nap. It appeared to have once been a garment, maybe a flannel petticoat, and had been pieced to make the cover. (The comforter disappeared soon after I found it--my MIL had a mania for new and couldn't wait to dispose of her MIL's Hosier, canning jars, crocks, etc.) I loved that flannel--a survivor--so unlike the flannels I knew.

flannel

Hi, We have a set of flannel sheets that I purchased 10 or 15 yrs. ago, and they are still nice and thick. I got an ad with today's message, and it has German flannel advertised at Cuddledown. I have never bought any. Just saw it advertised. They pick up on what is in the titles of our msgs. and send advertising based on that.

Kathy

I am in my LQS at least once a week. I have noticed fabric quality has deteriorated for most fabrics. Manufacturers are cutting costs any way they can.

If using a Long Arm I caution all to reconsider using sheets for backs of quilts. The high thread count is wonderful to sleep on but the needle cannot slide through the thread count. Instead the needle "breaks" the threads. Over time this may create holes in your back.

Happy Quilting!

Yep, LLBean has the best by far, not cheap but the best. I never mind paying a premium for theirs and sometime they do go on sale.

Blog Entries
    I have my pink LL Bean flanel on my bed right now - they are about the only thing I look forward to about winter.... We've been so lucky we've had a mild one!

There is more than one quality of flannel and some shops sell a lower grade, as I found out last year making a
    t-shirt quilt. I purchased 2 pieces from lqs one faded and shurnk and the other stayed the same as purchased, both
    were the same price but the one shop sold the lower grade. Live and learn

Blog Entries
    I have gotten great quality flannel sheet sets from Costco. No pilling and shrinking.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I found Moda premium muslin at Joanns. $74 with 50% coupon for a 15yd bolt. Very nice to quilt with . Using it in my DJ quilt Just heavy enough with lovely feel to it.

I also like the Moda muslins, especially a line called Primitive Muslins.

Nikkilu - have you thought about washing your red flannel sheets in "Retyne" (Retain), that will probably stop the bleeding, you can purchase from your local quilt shop.

I have used fleece sheets on the back of my quilts - then the common comment that I receive is "that is the best blanket ever", I use fleece sheets on all the beds in our home, and also in the RV - year round, it is simply amazing how well we sleep now, since changing to fleece - even in the hot of the summer - they breath!!!

I have also used Egyptian cotton (better quality muslin), very close weave and very soft, you might want to look into that for your quilts.
    I purchased it at our LQS.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I used some flannel that was mid-priced from the LQS for a quilt for my 10 year old Grandson.....it washed pretty nice before I sewed it, but after about three more washings it looks terrible.....he doesn't complain and I didn't mention it to him, so I guess it's alright, but don't know how to pick good quality from bad without washing it. Guess buying LLBean is a good answer, but plenty expensive.
    Penny aka PLS 1946

Trying to make a very warm quilt as a gift, I used a flannel sheet for the back. I made a serious mistake. I did not wash it first. The quilt is finished so I washed and dried it yesterday. And you guessed it, it is puffy between all the quilting! I will send it, and hope it keeps her warm.

I have not been using flannel for quilt backs because they shrink differently than the cotton on the quilt front.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I love the flannel sheets I got from LL Bean!

About a year ago I purchased, at Macy's, a set of Martha Stewert flannel sheets on sale(obviously) They are wonderful -- used for a year and they are not pilled. They shed a bit the first couple of washings, but are still very cozy. I find that Joanne's flannel can vary from stiff to perfect. If you can get it on sale --- but of course you have to piece it ifyou want it for a backing.

Sew Batik has Batik Flannel at 108" wide and it is great quality. Not inexpensive. It is sold in half yard increments, and I like it since you do not have to piece your backing.

Batik Flannel? Learn something new every day. I will check out Sew Batik. Thanks
    Sweet Caroline

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2