Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish) >

My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish)

My Letter to the Editor (a work in progress. Need ideas on how to finish)

Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 PM
JJs
Banned

Yes, please check your spelling of numerous words, and grammar.

I don't know about any other states, but here there are a 'gazillion' programs for people who don't work - food stamps, help with utility bills, welfare, medicaid, free lunch, free breakfast, food banks, clothing banks, WIC, pregnancy centers, etc.
There are even free garden plots - all they have to do is go utilize it - they mostly sit empty growing weeds.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:01 AM

In my county, poverty is over 12% now, and that is just the ones that are counted by the powers that be. While government programs are available to some, others have to make the hard choices between food and medicine, or food and utilities. Keep going, V - you are doing a great job.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Pam

This is definately a worthwhile use of your time! We live in a very rural area and the folks that live down on the corner have a large garden. They put the extra produce in a box down by the road. I noticed that each evening the bax was empty, so I started putting produce in there as well, then I noticed more neighbors adding to the box, even though I never noticed anyone taking anything away.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:51 AM

I think you letter is great! Perhaps you might talk to the local farmers in your area also.

Before my parents passed they lived in a neighborhood that was mostly for the elderly in California living on fixed incomes.

One of the local farmers, would come by and leave a hay wagon at the entrance to the development every Friday.

This was meant basically for the residents, but anyone was welcome. The wagon was full of all types of fruit and produce he didn't sell during the week. It was better than throwing it out. The fruits and vegetables weren't spoiled just at or past it's prime.

The people only took what they needed.

Too bad others didn't do the same. I know that farmer has an elevator of his own to heaven.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I think you letter is great! Perhaps you might talk to the local farmers in your area also.

Before my parents passed they lived in a neighborhood that was mostly for the elderly in California living on fixed incomes.

One of the local farmers, would come by and leave a hay wagon at the entrance to the development every Friday.

This was meant basically for the residents, but anyone was welcome. The wagon was full of all types of fruit and produce he didn't sell during the week. It was better than throwing it out. The fruits and vegetables weren't spoiled just at or past it's prime.

The people only took what they needed.

Too bad others didn't do the same. I know that farmer has an elevator of his own to heaven.
We kind of got something similar. Someone worked out some sort of thing with Wal-Mart and every Monday there's a food drive that gives away food that would've been thrown out otherwise because it was getting close to the expiration date. None of its spoiled or anything and it seems to be helping out.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Since a couple of you are REALLY getting anal about my spelling (possibly missing the point entirely, which is encouraging gardeners to fight hunger)...and of course I would've checked everything before sending in a final draft...I went ahead and spelled checked everything. Here's the draft with all the correct spellings so the people who are really picky about grammer can take me seriously. :)

When many people think of hunger their minds go to the image of a little boy from Africa suffering from starvation and malnutrition. However, hunger isn't a problem that only occurs in a far off third world country. Its happening here in America, a land that's supposed to be of opportunity and wealth, as more people nowadays struggle to make ends meet. And its not only occurring in bigger cities where the problem is more apparent. Its a problem that's even reached in small towns like Black River Falls.

According to the US Department of Agriculture, one in six Americans experience or are at risk of hunger---that's over 50 million people! Some of these Americans have to make a painful choice between getting their next meal or paying the bills, deciding to forgo food because it seems easier to deal with hunger than threatening letters from the landlord or the electric company. Some of these Americans are children who go hungry during the weekend because home doesn't offer free meals like their school does during lunch hour.

Hunger is a problem in our country----no, its a tragedy. A tragedy because we could be doing more to help. We’re quick to donate money and organize televised charity events when natural disaster strikes in other countries, but we don't seem to jump the gun to help our own citizens with problems that haven't suddenly happened like an earthquake or tsunami.

Gardeners could really be valuable in easing the burden of those who've fallen on tough times. I encourage ever gardener to utilize their skills to help those in need. In the next few weeks when you're getting your gardens ready plant a little extra to donate to groups such as Friends Sharing Food or people you personally know who are having trouble getting by. Planting an extra row or even just a few extra plants in your garden can make a big difference for someone less fortunate. If you personally know someone who is having trouble getting by food wise, teach them how to grow their own food----whether it be a sizable garden in their own backyard or a single plant from a large flower pot.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 AM

I think this great, but there are still a few grammar errors. I don't think the people are being anal about the spelling errors, I think they are just trying to help you so you don't look foolish by sending in a letter with spelling errors.

Forgo-should be forego
I encourage ever gardener-should be "every" gardener...
:)
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Pam

Please do not forget the newspaper will NOT make an exact copy of your letter. Someone there will have to type it into their computers to get ready for publication, and they are PAID to correct your tiny spelling and grammatical mistakes.

Lighten up everyone!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Hope you say <It's> not <its> when you mean <it is>.

...and what it is, is sad, that we have people going hungry in a country where tons of food is wasted.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:37 PM

Pam, so you'd have V throw away credibility by looking like she doesn't care enough to write well? I can't be the only one who loses sight of the content when carelessness and sloppy writing shove themselves in my face.

I always find writers who say "my message is so important I'm above spelling and grammar" rather rude. If you want me to respect your time and energy enough to read and act on what you say, respect my time and energy by correcting the grade-school mistakes and write coherently so I don't have to spend so much time struggling to figure out what you intended to say that I run out of time to think about and maybe take action on what you're talking about.