Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: My Life As dolls-??

  1. #1
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,739
    Blog Entries
    47

    My Life As dolls-??

    I am considering purchasing a Walmart 'My Life As' 18" doll for my DGD. I am wondering what the quality is? I have purchased 18" dolls from Nancy's Notions and been pleased with the quality. I appreciate your input.

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  2. #2
    Power Poster lynnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    24,599
    Blog Entries
    1
    why not take one out of the box and ck and see for yourself.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Chula Vista CA
    Posts
    6,730
    Afraid, I don't know. My daughters were into the American Girl dolls. Wow, that was a long time ago.

  4. #4
    Super Member mandyrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    lehigh valley pa
    Posts
    1,457
    I had to google them I never heard of my life dolls they are cute enough but I didn't see any ethnic dolls in that line I got three of the spring field dolls from joanns same ones that nancy notions sells at that time they were only $19.99 useing a 50% off coupon came to ten dollars I like them and enjoy sewing outfits for them lol! guess I'm still a little girl at heart they don't stand on there own I got doll stands with coupons also

  5. #5
    Super Member nygal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,646
    I never heard of them either but after googling the doll I think they look very nice for the price!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,886
    And the thing about Walmart is they are very good about letting you return things, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

  7. #7
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    I checked Amazon and the reviews of them there all seem to be very positive. (But the dolls cost a lot more on Amazon than they do at Walmart!)

  8. #8
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,739
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
    I had to google them I never heard of my life dolls they are cute enough but I didn't see any ethnic dolls in that line I got three of the spring field dolls from joanns same ones that nancy notions sells at that time they were only $19.99 useing a 50% off coupon came to ten dollars I like them and enjoy sewing outfits for them lol! guess I'm still a little girl at heart they don't stand on there own I got doll stands with coupons also
    Wow, you got them for a steal. Our Joann's doesn't carry them. I have looked at so many dolls today, I can't remember which site I saw ethnic dolls on. Sorry.

    PS: I bought one from Nancy's Notions for my DGD and then purchased one for myself so I could try clothes on that I make before sending them to my DGD. When she visited me this summer she had forgotten to bring her doll. So she was delighted to play with mine. I want to add another 18" doll for her for Christmas since I got a chance to see how much she loves mine.

    I also bought a stand for Grandma's doll!

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  9. #9
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,739
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I checked Amazon and the reviews of them there all seem to be very positive. (But the dolls cost a lot more on Amazon than they do at Walmart!)
    I just happened to look at the Springfield dolls (at NN) on Amazon and a few of them are about a dollar less. I have free 2 day prime shipping so that makes them even a better deal for me. Yup! I bought one for my DGD.

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    Super Member Pollytink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,330
    Quote Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
    I had to google them I never heard of my life dolls they are cute enough but I didn't see any ethnic dolls in that line
    Just googled them at Walmart and they have at least 3 African American dolls. All are very cute!

  11. #11
    Super Member Pollytink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,330
    Oh boy, what you started! I started googling and may be up all night. I LOVE dolls! I have my DD's Giggles doll from about 1967 and the clothes I made for her...just had to keep her. (We did give away her Barbie's and the clothes I made which I've regretted ever since. I learned to knit making a cardigan sweater for Barbie!) She's 18" but I think a bit chunkier than the AG dolls. I got her some bunny slippers and they were just a hair too small....did find some purple shoes to go with her purple corduroy coat and hat. And finally found the pattern online for her clothes. I saved some info a few years ago about how to work with her hair but haven't done it....YET! I want to make her more clothes "some day". Found a great blog....she gives a review of the My Life As dolls and more, Linda, that might help your search:

    http://nevergrowupdollguide.blogspot...-dolls-at.html

    I didn't realize there were so many new 18" dolls that are much less expensive than the AG dolls. I need to get G's clothes out and washed and post some pics.

  12. #12
    Senior Member starlite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, Michigan
    Posts
    424
    I purchased one for my granddaughter and she loves it! It is very similar to the American Girl Dolls!!!
    starlite(Jan)

  13. #13
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    35,089
    My two girls and two Granddaughters didn't play much with dolls after about the age of eight or so. They are not interested in any kind of dolls as grown ups. Two girls ages 48 & 44. Granddaughters are 27 & 21. We have two Great Granddaughters but they live in Alaska and I don't know if they play with dolls or not. Ages 6 & 4.
    I have a big doll collection of non-toy dolls. I loved dolls to play with as a child but those are long gone. Now I only like the fancy dressed ones and the baby dolls. I have most of my dolls put away now. Dusting them is not that much fun.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Posts
    1,600
    Last yr around December, Target had the 18" dolls (Our Generation was the brand).. There were ethnic ones and they were very well-made, came w outfits, and accessories, and cost about $29 or so. If they aren't in the Target store, you might try Target on-line.

  15. #15
    Super Member Marysewfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere neat!
    Posts
    1,145
    I got sticker shock when I tracked down the American Girl - $100+ thinking of for my DGD. And when step-son says don't do it, she already has every doll ever made - I put on my thinking cap again.

    Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

  16. #16
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,739
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
    Oh boy, what you started! I started googling and may be up all night. I LOVE dolls! I have my DD's Giggles doll from about 1967 and the clothes I made for her...just had to keep her. (We did give away her Barbie's and the clothes I made which I've regretted ever since. I learned to knit making a cardigan sweater for Barbie!) She's 18" but I think a bit chunkier than the AG dolls. I got her some bunny slippers and they were just a hair too small....did find some purple shoes to go with her purple corduroy coat and hat. And finally found the pattern online for her clothes. I saved some info a few years ago about how to work with her hair but haven't done it....YET! I want to make her more clothes "some day". Found a great blog....she gives a review of the My Life As dolls and more, Linda, that might help your search:

    http://nevergrowupdollguide.blogspot...-dolls-at.html

    I didn't realize there were so many new 18" dolls that are much less expensive than the AG dolls. I need to get G's clothes out and washed and post some pics.
    Thanks for the info. Sorry Polly, didn't mean to sidetrack your day. Tomorrow I will post some links for making shoes for the 18" dolls. I have not made any yet but I do have the materials for making flipflops.

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  17. #17
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,739
    Blog Entries
    47
    Polly, here are the shoe links I said I would post.

    http://www.snsdolls.com/pattarch/dollshoe/shoemain.htm

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SrATG4onPY

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6_ogVwYUQ This one is how to make sandals, really cute.

    Like I said, I haven't made any yet. However, with my DGD's December birthday and Christmas, I certainly plan to.

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

  18. #18
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,739
    Blog Entries
    47
    Here is the link to a new thread I posted about the doll and a pair of glasses I finally ordered. For me it was much cheaper using Amazon because of my Prime points I was able to apply.

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ml#post6892873

    I still have my eye on the Life As dolls at Walmart though. I have heard it is ok for Grandmas to spoil DGDs.

    Linda

    Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

    http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.