Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers. >
  • My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers.

• My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 AM
    JJs
    Banned

who said you upset me??

I just said cats are cats and that's what cats do...
    Old 03-14-2010, 06:45 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by JJs
    who said you upset me??

I just said cats are cats and that's what cats do...
    I think that what she meant was the tone of your post was very unpleasant. We try to be more polite here.

And anyone who has had animals knows that they do have emotions: Love, fear, anger, sorrow, grief, to name just a few. We just tend to credit them with more reasoning ability than they actually have.
    Old 03-14-2010, 06:52 AM

Ok ladies no cat fighting here.
    Old 03-14-2010, 08:24 AM

I've pretty much accepted that two of my 4 male (all neutered) cats HATE each other...and they are littermates that we bottlefed/bottomwiped from a couple of days old. From the beginning one of them was a homerun and one of them was a foulball...night and day difference in mental capabilities. The fast one wasn't mean to his brother but he did get all the toys first...slow one would watch and try to figure out how to do what came sooo naturally for his brother. All was well and good until the slow one finally matured and he decided he'd had enough of his brother...there hasn't been any tolerance of each other since. Garrett(fast) and Gibson(slow). Garrett would be far happier if Gibson weren't here, but he doesn't go after him....Gibson is the aggressor always. And there have been a couple of serious injuries that required multiple trips to the vet. If they hadn't been OUR babies I'm sure that one would have left, but they both love us and this is their home...we just try to prevent confrontations and do the best for both of them. These boys are over 5 years old now...it's always going to be this way...they are who they are...and we LOVE them anyway. There are two neutered female cats here too...and one female Eskimo Spitz.
    Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Have they been neutered? That can definitely make a difference in their behavior.

Ditter
    Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 AM
    Power Poster

I have three outside cats, all neutered males. They have rumbles from time to time usually over who eats firsts at what food bowl. The youngest cat seems to be the top cat. I would never tell a person who loves their cat or dog that the family pet has no other feelings then instinct.
    Old 03-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
    Have they been neutered? That can definitely make a difference in their behavior.

Ditter
    There was a vet that we loved and used for years...he referred to neutering as "brain surgery"....because it "changes the way they think". He firmly believed that the single most effective way to give a male cat a chance for a long and healthy life was to neuter him. All my animals are neutered as soon as they are old enough.
    Old 03-14-2010, 10:52 AM

I agree with the ones who said they're establishing which one is the alpha cat. (That's what I was thinking of when I said "territoriality" - couldn't get the right word.)

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Cats don't have "brotherly love". As adults, that's a human thing.
    I don't know about that. I didn't mean it in the sense of love for your fellow man, though. I meant a sibling bond.

Years ago, I took in a stray. There was a horrible tribe or whatever of dozens of strays that congregated around a dumping area. The one I adopted had made his way several blocks away to my house, but he was very much an outdoor cat. He insisted on being let out each day, and many times he'd go find his buddy, a cat that looked very much like him. I assumed they were brothers because of the resemblance. They fought at times, but mostly they ran around together. If that ain't love...

To respond to another person's post, yes, cats have emotions - all animals have emotions - and they have the ability to care for others as well. That cat was just as sweet and loving as any dog when I was down, just as affectionate, too. Not that he wasn't all cat! He definitely thought I was there to serve him, lol.

Originally Posted by bobbinwinder
    There was a vet that we loved and used for years...he referred to neutering as "brain surgery"....because it "changes the way they think".
    It definitely does. I'm not at all for neutering. Give the cat a vasectomy to keep it from fathering unwanted kittens, but allow it its masculinity.
    Old 03-14-2010, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
    There was a vet that we loved and used for years...he referred to neutering as "brain surgery"....because it "changes the way they think".
    ...and that's a bad thing how?
    Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 AM

I have three cats and a dog..,.all testicles removed. They play but no problem with fighting. I see toms outside who are covered with rips and cuts and swollen eyes. If thats masculine its sick. a neighbor owned one of these, he was four when he died

In answer to the cats fighting...clip nails, squirt gun and send them to seperate rooms with closed doors. . They may get over it may not good luck