Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers. >

My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers.

My Male Cats Are Fighting....and They Are Brothers.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM

I've got 3 and they do like to show who's boss. My younger boy will stand over the little girl, bite her in the neck then pin her down in a headlock till she gets mad and swipes him in the nose with her claws. I just consider them as normal kids who fight and then make up. The oldest one could care less about either of them!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Bobbinwinder -- Been there, done that, am doing that now with dogs. I have a male and female that must be keep apart at all times from the newest female. The older female will not accept submission to the new, much larger (part pit) female, and that has ended up in a pack brawl in my kitchen. Looked like a scene from CSI -- most of the blood on the walls was mine. Have a permanent deformed fingertip as a reminder. Separate, the two females are as sweet as can be. None have issues with the other two (male and female) dogs I have that are older. Who knows what sets them off -- territory, jealousy, a peculiar scent, their place in the pecking order, which side of the bed they sleep on, the weather..... If only they could talk.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM

I had 2 males cats that were brothers, even after they made their little visit to the Vet, once in a while one might play to rough and the short fight was on. Next thing, they would be taking their little naps together. My present kitty is a little female and she had her little surgery last year, that really mellowed her out and now she is just a sweetie.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:24 PM

Okay so most are in agreement that the boys will have better behavior if neutered. Beyond that there are occasions when cats just don't get along and it is so severe as to cause a danger to each other (requiring vet treatment). On those extreme's there are a few ways to go about helping them live more harmoniously in your house (and I'm not sure you are saying it is this severe, but there may be others reading this who may need the help).

1) Bach flower essences are a great way to go. Look them up and get the exact one or two that describe your cats behavior. They are nearly the same product for humans and pets (no alcohol version for pets). Can be easily administered by adding to their water bowl.
2) The vet is another way to go. There are several anti-anxiety and anti-depressant drugs they can prescribe for cats. They have a kitty Prozac that comes in a tuna flavored gel and you squeeze it out of a tube (kinda like toothpaste) on your finger or rub on your cats foot and they will clean it off and ingest it. For other medications your vet may want to prescribe, ask about a transdermal cream from a compound pharmacy. This will allow you to rub a little cream on the inside of the cats ear flap and the medicine in the cream will be absorbed directly into the bloodstream via those veins you see right below the skin of the ear flap. Think of this working the same way a nicotine patch works. Might be easier to administer than a pill. I think our compound pharmacy did a month supply for about $32 verses the pills at the vet for $22 or $24. So not too much more expensive, but so worth it.

3) Not wanting the vet fees for an office visit to get a RX . . . look into Comfort Zone diffuser with Feliway. It helps with a number of behavior problems and you don't have to touch the cat for it to be effective. In a sense, it is like a plug-in air freshener (except to humans it doesn't have an odor) with cat pheromone in it. This pheromone is the scent that a cat leaves when it rubs it's face (cheeks/whiskers) on you. This is a cat's way of hugging and telling you that it likes/accepts you as one of its family. Many cats who feel anxious or unhappy/shy feel much more relaxed and accepted by others in the household when they smell this scent. I know of several friends, clients, and colleagues who's cat was formerly "mean" or "shy" to guests, family, new baby, new significant other (who hated cats) who became a sweet cuddle bug after a month therapy of this diffuser in their home. I also know of a few who it didn't work for, so as with everything, there are exceptions to the rule and everyone has their own outcome. But I've seen/heard it work about 70 - 80 % of the time. It is pretty costly and there is an off brand knock-off that is cheaper. One diffuser only covers 500-600 sq ft, so you either confine the troubled cat or buy a bunch to go in different rooms of the house.

So here are a few ideas of how to handle this situation if it becomes a problem.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

I don't know but I would get a spray bottle and put water in it and squirt them every time they did it and maybe they will stop. this is how I trained my cats and it worked good. Penny
Old 03-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Lyn

Originally Posted by Angelmerritt
Okay so most are in agreement that the boys will have better behavior if neutered. Beyond that there are occasions when cats just don't get along and it is so severe as to cause a danger to each other (requiring vet treatment). On those extreme's there are a few ways to go about helping them live more harmoniously in your house (and I'm not sure you are saying it is this severe, but there may be others reading this who may need the help).

1) Bach flower essences are a great way to go. Look them up and get the exact one or two that describe your cats behavior. They are nearly the same product for humans and pets (no alcohol version for pets). Can be easily administered by adding to their water bowl.
2) The vet is another way to go. There are several anti-anxiety and anti-depressant drugs they can prescribe for cats. They have a kitty Prozac that comes in a tuna flavored gel and you squeeze it out of a tube (kinda like toothpaste) on your finger or rub on your cats foot and they will clean it off and ingest it. For other medications your vet may want to prescribe, ask about a transdermal cream from a compound pharmacy. This will allow you to rub a little cream on the inside of the cats ear flap and the medicine in the cream will be absorbed directly into the bloodstream via those veins you see right below the skin of the ear flap. Think of this working the same way a nicotine patch works. Might be easier to administer than a pill. I think our compound pharmacy did a month supply for about $32 verses the pills at the vet for $22 or $24. So not too much more expensive, but so worth it.

3) Not wanting the vet fees for an office visit to get a RX . . . look into Comfort Zone diffuser with Feliway. It helps with a number of behavior problems and you don't have to touch the cat for it to be effective. In a sense, it is like a plug-in air freshener (except to humans it doesn't have an odor) with cat pheromone in it. This pheromone is the scent that a cat leaves when it rubs it's face (cheeks/whiskers) on you. This is a cat's way of hugging and telling you that it likes/accepts you as one of its family. Many cats who feel anxious or unhappy/shy feel much more relaxed and accepted by others in the household when they smell this scent. I know of several friends, clients, and colleagues who's cat was formerly "mean" or "shy" to guests, family, new baby, new significant other (who hated cats) who became a sweet cuddle bug after a month therapy of this diffuser in their home. I also know of a few who it didn't work for, so as with everything, there are exceptions to the rule and everyone has their own outcome. But I've seen/heard it work about 70 - 80 % of the time. It is pretty costly and there is an off brand knock-off that is cheaper. One diffuser only covers 500-600 sq ft, so you either confine the troubled cat or buy a bunch to go in different rooms of the house.

So here are a few ideas of how to handle this situation if it becomes a problem.
You can also rub a little Back flower on their ears. Also you might want to give them a time out by separating them when they get nasty to each other. It is pecking order. I have a tortie that is very aggressive. I ended up making her my sewing room cat. The vet wanted me to put her down( just couldn't do it. She is my old lady) but she is very happy by herself in the sewing room. I open the door periodically while I'm in there to give her company of the other cats until she starts to get a little stressed then the door closes. I am in there until suppertime so she does not lack for company. The room is very large so she can roam around.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aurora
Originally Posted by gaigai
Originally Posted by JJs
who said you upset me??

I just said cats are cats and that's what cats do...
I think that what she meant was the tone of your post was very unpleasant. We try to be more polite here.

And anyone who has had animals knows that they do have emotions: Love, fear, anger, sorrow, grief, to name just a few. We just tend to credit them with more reasoning ability than they actually have.

With cats they can be only half siblings. Every kitten can have a different father.

I once had a male cat that took his turn sitting with the kittens. While she was giving birth, he never left her side and would lick her on the head when she cried out in pain during delivery. That night she took the babies one at a time and put them with the father in his favorite sleeping chair and he was still with them in the morning. From that point on he took turns watching the kittens.
that is a precious story. thank you for sharing. Penny
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
I don't know but I would get a spray bottle and put water in it and squirt them every time they did it and maybe they will stop. this is how I trained my cats and it worked good. Penny
I had to do this with a German Shepherd. Except I put lemon juice in the water bottle. Eventually, he wouldn't even walk past the bottle. Probably just a Tablespoon to the squirt bottle, accidentally hit him once in the eyes. He knew that bottle didn't play. Good luck.
Rose
Old 03-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Cats will be cats.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 PM

Great thread, and timely here. Have three kitties --Miss Tatiana, around 9 or 10, she was here first. Our orange boy died in the fall, and she was an only cat for about a month.

In October, my husband brought home two males from a foster home, 2.5 and 7.5 year olds (Rory and Gandolf) who have been together since Rory's birth. They tolerate each other very well; play fight, lick, share food.

Miss Tatiana has always been a princess, she isn't without blame; she was very sick 18 months ago.

Recently (past month?) we have been having some serious peeing and territory issues.

New, extra littler box, lid off old box, still Tati peed on the bathroom rug. If its all her, I'd be surprised. She is somewhat barricaded by 28 lbs of cats lying in the studio doorway, cant get to the litter boxes without them harassing her; Gandolf stalking her, its just utterly ridiculous.

Yesterday, I had to take Tati to the vet; she screamed bloody murder as I tried to get her into her carrier, and the next thing I know, I had Gandolf hanging off my arm!! He attacked ME for touching HER!!!!

They are crazy for sure... I am going to look into these pheromones....anything that will chill the beasties!!!