Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My Motorcycle is sick: Any Ideas? >

My Motorcycle is sick: Any Ideas?

My Motorcycle is sick: Any Ideas?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:05 AM
Pam

Once you get it running, be careful and have a great time.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Another easy check is to check your battery. My Hubby's bike eats his battery if it sits for any length of time. My bike doesn't as much, but if a bike sits, it still seems to draw power from the battery and can drain it. It might be that your battery has enough power to start the bike, but as soon as you challenge it to run, it throws in the towel.
We have to buy new batteries for our bikes every year in the desert heat. Sitting is hard on batteries.
You might want to get some battery tenders. They're not expensive. When the bikes sit for a long period of time, you put the "tenders" on them and it keeps the charge up on the batteries. We live in the desert and DH ALWAYS has one on his bike during the winter.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
Another easy check is to check your battery. My Hubby's bike eats his battery if it sits for any length of time. My bike doesn't as much, but if a bike sits, it still seems to draw power from the battery and can drain it. It might be that your battery has enough power to start the bike, but as soon as you challenge it to run, it throws in the towel.
We have to buy new batteries for our bikes every year in the desert heat. Sitting is hard on batteries.
You might want to get some battery tenders. They're not expensive. When the bikes sit for a long period of time, you put the "tenders" on them and it keeps the charge up on the batteries. We live in the desert and DH ALWAYS has one on his bike during the winter.
I hadn't thought of that, I didn't know about tenders for bikes.. We keep our mini winnie pluged in all the time, thanks.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Nope. Not the battery. Did cab clean. I just finished draining gas out of carb and went ahead and drained all the fuel lines. still no luck. Sooooo, I called the shop and they said it probly needs carb taken off and super cleaned and probly a carb kit. Dang it.

So this is my weekend: front tire on camaro flat beyond repair $150 special order, motorcycle to shopn at least$120, and hubbys needs wheel bearing for his 4wheeler $80. The bike will go to shop, pick up when I can pay in 2 or 3 weeks. Camaro tire: still don't know. 4wheeler gonna have to wait til next month.

Lol figures, I finally get to buy my janome 9500 and everything else falls apart.
BUT my daughter got her student loans approved. Woo hoo! Big worry gone there.

LMAO if only I'd been born rich instead of so cute and funny!!

motorcycle going to "hospital" :(
[ATTACH=CONFIG]83253[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-83248.jpe  
Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Oh and thanks to everyone. I knew I could find help here!!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:53 AM

Per my DH: There is probably some old gas in the carburetor, even if you have new gas in the tank. He says, pull the air cleaner tube of the carb. end and spray some kind of carb. cleaner into the carb. Let it sit for 10 min., reattach the tube and see if this helps. If this doesn't work you may need to take it to the dealer to clean the carburetor. (We have a Yamaha too.)

For winter storage, shut the gas off and run until it dies. Pour some 'Stabil' in the gas tank for the winter.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 07-03-2010, 08:15 AM

Theresa: tell ur hubby thanks a bunch!!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:07 PM

I'm late to the tread, but would also have suspected it is the carburetor. They just don't like to sit for a long time. By the way, I started on a Virago as well. I "graduated" to a Suzuki Savage 650, which seemed to be the right size for me. I was amazed how much power it had compared to my little Virago. My Virago is the one in my avatar.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
I'm late to the tread, but would also have suspected it is the carburetor. They just don't like to sit for a long time. By the way, I started on a Virago as well. I "graduated" to a Suzuki Savage 650, which seemed to be the right size for me. I was amazed how much power it had compared to my little Virago. My Virago is the one in my avatar.
We have a 1982 BMW 1000 and a 1972 Motoguzzi 750, both with funky,cool old sidecars. We're old and don't want to fall over LOL. Also I'm short and my feet don't touch the ground on the bikes. We don't go far or fast.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Google Goddess

be safe riding your motorcycle