My peave.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I had a longarm, upgraged mine also, I am getting up there and I wanted it so I bought it.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't peeve about it. They're just expressing options to help offset the cost if need be. I don't believe any are naysayers. Some long armers are absolutely trying to have an extra income. I'm sure they all wish you well and mean no harm. No one on this board (I believe) is trying to tell you what to do. Some do express cost because they need the extra income. I do what I want. My peeve would be if someone tried to tell me how to believe and what church or faith to be engaged in. Now that's a peeve. I just read the comments and if any are hurtful, I will come back at them like no one's business. Like they say life is short move on to the next post.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:27 AM

wow Heck I`m jealous.....lol only because if I could afford one I`d get one......good for you and ENJOY!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jeancc6267141
I just upgrated my long arm. Everyone comments on the price, that I already had a machine and I do not take in work. They said I could send out all my quilts and come out cheaper.

I get upset that they only focus on the money, I can afford it. I do not have to justify my purchases to anybody. Maybe they are jealous.

Everything does not have to be about money. What about my enjoyment? Does their snowmobile or boat bring them money or just enjoyment? What about all that bling and electronic gadgets they like? No diamond ring ever brought income.

Off my soapbox now.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:31 AM

I agree, everything is NOT always about money! If you are going to spend your time (which when spent, cannot be replaced), shouldn't you have the best tools and materials possible? My mother bought a beautiful, new Gammill 18" because she had always wanted one. She was hesitant to spend the money, but my father said DO IT! And I told he she had worked all her life, raised 2 kids, they had paid for their house, and she DESERVED it! Life is short, and we all deserve to treat ourselves, especially when it is for our art!

BTW: my BabyLock Tiara has been ordered. I am treating myself!
Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 AM

Decisions about what to do with your money are your own. Tell those folks " thank you for the helpful information!" ( code for " go to H--l".
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 AM

Some of it certainly is jealousy . . . but that's their problem! Some people think nothing of spending $$$$$ on a vacation, yet consider it "wasteful," to buy something more permanent! It's not worth even trying to understand people like that.

Way too many people are way too concerned, about how others spend their own hard-earned money.

Last edited by Neesie; 09-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:02 AM

I can only agree, your money, your life, enjoy!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by sall View Post
When you are young and have a young family, you have to scrimp and save, then you go to work and start providing for the future. Remenber when you retire that "future" is here, so go get what you have worked and saved for
Well said!!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

If you can afford it, enjoy it! I don't feel a need to justify my sewing machines and my fabric stash either!
Old 09-01-2013, 07:50 AM

I totally understand. A couple of yrs ago my ex walked out to persue his lifes passion, to be a full time alcoholic. That left me with the bills and the emotions, etc. I was smart enough and could see this coming yrs ago so I got him to put the house in my name so in 3yrs it'll be paid for. It needs lots of work to get it back up to par and it'll happen. I don't go anywhere or do anything except for sew. Two yrs ago I bit the bullet and bought a used Ruby and fell in love with emb too. Then last yr I traded it in and got a Diamond Deluxe, too good of a deal to pass up on. Most of the people I know have no idea as to how much this cost, and the only one that I'd tell is my sister. My daughter only knows it cost alot. Both of them said, what else do you do to make yourself happy. What is the purpose of working and earning the money if you can't indulge in a few things. From what I've seen on how much people charge for doing the quilting you are saving lots of money rather you bring in any or not. You get to do the quilting your way and that is priceless. I figure my bills are paid and even if I'm really tight for a while, its worth it. My house is slowly getting fixed. I'd have to save up for that anyways since construction work is expensive. I'm lucky because sometimes I can get my son to do some of the work so that does help.

Bottom line, its no one elses business and we all have the right to have things that bring us joy. It sounds like no one is suffering because you upgraded so they need to stay out of it. I know very few people who have bought things they could have done without but it made them happy to get it. I've even seen where some of them did so and it did affect thier family's lives.

I'm happy for you and hope you design something really great and enjoy it while you are doing it.