My peave.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:28 AM

Default My peave.

I just upgrated my long arm. Everyone comments on the price, that I already had a machine and I do not take in work. They said I could send out all my quilts and come out cheaper.

I get upset that they only focus on the money, I can afford it. I do not have to justify my purchases to anybody. Maybe they are jealous.

Everything does not have to be about money. What about my enjoyment? Does their snowmobile or boat bring them money or just enjoyment? What about all that bling and electronic gadgets they like? No diamond ring ever brought income.

Off my soapbox now.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 AM

No apologies or explanations necessary! It is your life and your money, and your decision as to how to spend it! Your pleasure takes priority, and remarks made by tactless people just don't count!!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 AM

your money ,your time, your enjoyment. Don't worry about the nay Sayers it is your life.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:43 AM

Jean, enjoy your new machine. If it brings you pleasure it is worth any amount of money. I went thru the same questions when I bought my Sweet 16; actually took some of the joy out of buying it. But I've learned to laugh off the comments. I've been working as a nurse for 40+ years so, yes, I can afford it--I'm very blessed. It helps me finish projects that have been sitting around for years. Ignore the comments and quilt away.

I'm going to get on my soapbox here: my BFF was diagnosed with Stage 3 ovarian cancer, did well for awhile but it has returned. She asked me a few questions right after she was diagnosed. Do you have a nightgown in a drawer that you're saving for something special? Do you have a beautiful tablecloth in a drawer that's too pretty to use? How often do you use your "Sunday dishes"? In other words, what are you saving it for? Use those items and enjoy them and the time we have here. I've made that my motto: use those Sunday dishes!
Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 AM

I know what you mean Jean. I buy thing for my sewing habit because I enjoy sewing. I spend a fortune on my gaming computer because I love to play video games.

As long as the bills are paid and a little money is set aside in savings and the rainy day fund. I am happy and buy what I feel like. It's no ones business what I do with money. It probably has a lot to do with jealousy. Alot of people buy things to brag about how much money they spend. One of our son's got all bent out of shape because we were buying one of the grandsons a few b-day presents and not the other. Who by the way was having a b-day that following weekend. I told him that M's b-day present was already bought wrapped and waiting at home. And I wasn't taking financial advice from a guy who can't even hold a job and sleeps on his brothers couch.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 AM

janRN, I love your dog. jeanK You make the money so spend it in any way that makes you happy. People talk ! If they envy you, let them. They could get a job and buy their own stuff. My Mom taught me to mind my own business and if I wanted something that I would have to work for it. Never lend it out as those people USE your stuff and NEVER repay if it breaks. Now off my soapbox and to Church I go. Hugs
Old 09-01-2013, 05:11 AM

I agree with all that it's your money and do with it what you want. I support myself and have for years and if I need or want something I don't feel like it's anybody's business but mine. I have hobbies and they cost money. I know lots of retired people who have no hobbies at all and I'd rather spend money and have something to keep my mind and my hands busy than to sit around in a house full of expensive furniture and fancy clothes and whatever else it is that makes them happy. My hobbies make me happy (along with my kids, grandkids and great-grandkids)!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:19 AM

Many assume when you buy a longarm that it's intent is for a business. You are a very fortunate to have one for personal use only. I am in a similar situation when it comes to my stash... I bought it with my hard earned cash and it makes me happy... that is what counts.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:48 AM

I thank everyone for the supporting remarks. I have my quick answers ready the next time I hear it.

As for using your best items, I agree. My mom moved her good china into the everyday cupboard when she was diagnosed. We all enjoyed eating off it with her.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:00 AM

When you are young and have a young family, you have to scrimp and save, then you go to work and start providing for the future. Remenber when you retire that "future" is here, so go get what you have worked and saved for