my pets

Old 06-29-2009, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I don't remember the reason but Missy started losing all her fur. She was bald by the time she died. Sara had her to the vet several times and couldn't do anything for her. Yeah it was sad.

At one time when we lived in the country and my kids (in their 30's now)
were in jr high we had 15 dogs ( a shepherd had 10 pups) and 6 cats - 5 birds(9 cockatiels and parakeets in a 6 ft aviary) and 80 rabbits (with all the babies)

We inherited the rabbits from my inlaws when mom had her fourth stroke and Dad found her on the floor of the garage where she was feeding the rabbits so he packed up all the runs and brought it all kit and kaboodle down to us.
My boys learned how to shoot when it was time to dress some. Some were pets and we handled a lot and some were not that friendly.
Let me tell you rabbits are not as defenseless as you might think!!
We had one that a weasel got in her cage and she stomped him through the screen wire!!! and they can bite!!!

We had several silver martins and they have silver and black fur. They are really!! pretty. Usually pretty friendly too. We had one that would mother anything you gave her no matter how many babies! Sometimes a mother would reject the babies for whatever reason and then we had to move them to a surrogate mother. We had several that would accept other babies easily. It was fun most of the time.

Ah that was along time ago! in the 80s and now we live in small quarters. We remodeled my dad's auto shop into an apartment for DH and I so I am not allowed to bring home any new pets!! I was supposed to only have 1 dog. We got a beagle then my son asked if I would housebreak a German short haired pointer because she was tearing up their house. I took her at 4 mos and then he didn't want her back so 5 yrs later here she is!! and then the doctor thought the grandkids were allergic to the cat so we inherited the cat! 7 years ago.
We got my DH a cockatiel so now I am definately forbidden any more pets!!!! They all like to tell me when to get up and when to go to bed and if I am out of the room for long they will start barking or screaming(the cockatiel Miss Snick(short for snickers)

We had one that kept escaping so matter what we did! We called him Houdini.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

My daughter Sara learned the love of animals well! She got a bearded dragon for her 10 yr old son and they have a cat and a service dog for her autistic son and a cockatiel. in a small apartment with three kids!
She built her own cage for Fred the bearded dragon. We have taken care of all of the animals when they went on vacation.
I am not crazy about feeding Fred! He eats live crickets and mealie worms. Yuck! I did it but wasn't overjoyed! I am not freaked out by bugs but I don't want them getting loose in my home either.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I don't remember the reason but Missy started losing all her fur. She was bald by the time she died. Sara had her to the vet several times and couldn't do anything for her. Yeah it was sad.

At one time when we lived in the country and my kids (in their 30's now)
were in jr high we had 15 dogs ( a shepherd had 10 pups) and 6 cats - 5 birds(9 cockatiels and parakeets in a 6 ft aviary) and 80 rabbits (with all the babies)

We inherited the rabbits from my inlaws when mom had her fourth stroke and Dad found her on the floor of the garage where she was feeding the rabbits so he packed up all the runs and brought it all kit and kaboodle down to us.
My boys learned how to shoot when it was time to dress some. Some were pets and we handled a lot and some were not that friendly.
Let me tell you rabbits are not as defenseless as you might think!!
We had one that a weasel got in her cage and she stomped him through the screen wire!!! and they can bite!!!

We had several silver martins and they have silver and black fur. They are really!! pretty. Usually pretty friendly too. We had one that would mother anything you gave her no matter how many babies! Sometimes a mother would reject the babies for whatever reason and then we had to move them to a surrogate mother. We had several that would accept other babies easily. It was fun most of the time.

Ah that was along time ago! in the 80s and now we live in small quarters. We remodeled my dad's auto shop into an apartment for DH and I so I am not allowed to bring home any new pets!! I was supposed to only have 1 dog. We got a beagle then my son asked if I would housebreak a German short haired pointer because she was tearing up their house. I took her at 4 mos and then he didn't want her back so 5 yrs later here she is!! and then the doctor thought the grandkids were allergic to the cat so we inherited the cat! 7 years ago.
We got my DH a cockatiel so now I am definately forbidden any more pets!!!! They all like to tell me when to get up and when to go to bed and if I am out of the room for long they will start barking or screaming(the cockatiel Miss Snick(short for snickers)

We had one that kept escaping so matter what we did! We called him Houdini.
I've heard that ferrets often lose their hair, I think it usually has to do with adrenal disease, which a lot of ferrets get when they get older. We're not sure how old Chester is, since a friend of ours found him, and I'm starting to worry he might be older than we first thought. My fiance shaved all of them because we don't have AC and I read somewhere that they really shouldn't get above 80 degrees. The other 2 have started to grow their hair back pretty well, but Chester's just isn't growing back nearly as fast, and the part that is growing back is in patches.. it's not growing back everywhere. :( I'm going 'home' (my mom's house) tomorrow, and I'm taking him with me... gonna see how he reacts to the cat.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:36 AM

You asked for it - Here are all of my pets.

[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P1010043.jpg[/IMG]
Maggie

[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P1010023.jpg[/IMG]
Orangey

[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/PB111694.jpg[/IMG]
Grey Kitty

[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/IM_A0048.jpg[/IMG]
Sophie

That doesn't include the horses.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

They are so cute. My son wants a ferret, but I have heard you can't have them with big birds. I have a Blue and Gold macaw and an African Gray so it's a no go.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM

Beautiful critters! I have 4 inside cats and 2 dogs. Will try to get their photos up when I am on DSL. :lol: