Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: my pets

  1. #1
    boomwooshblahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    49
    Just wanted to post some pictures of my pets. Only ones I don't have pictures of right now are my cat that lives back home with my mom, and the girl ferret. I've never been good at taking action pictures, so I'll have to get my fiance to get a picture of Ginger (the girl ferret) sometime, since she's almost always either moving around or sleeping.

    We bought Dexter from the petshop as a baby, he's about 8 months old now. A friend of our's found Chester running around outside, and we decided to take him in. Not really sure quite how old he is, but he's defintley older than the others. Hopefully not too old though, because I want him to be around for quite a while longer. And then both of the leopard geckos we bought from the petshop as well, that was about a year ago.. so they're probably a few months older than a year now.

    Feel free to post pictures of your pets too!

    Ferrets... Chester (white/in the box) & Dexter (black/outside the box)
    Name:  Attachment-38744.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  63.3 KB

    Leopard geckos... Yosef (front/yellow) & Yoshi (back/orange)
    Name:  Attachment-38745.jpe
Views: 30
Size:  31.5 KB

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    Love the geckos!!! Your ferrets are cute, too!

  3. #3
    Super Member Mplsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Villages, FL
    Posts
    1,817
    I want Dexter!!!!! How cute!

  4. #4
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    I used to keep ferrets! They are such comics, gotta love them!


    Except when they've stolen something important and you have no time to search every hiding place....

  5. #5
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,798
    Blog Entries
    50
    My daughter(33) got a ferret for her 18th birthday from her then fiancee now husband. She and her dad and I built a cage for the ferret-Missy. Missy died a few years ago and I miss her more than anyone else does. I used to get her out and play with her alot when we stayed with them. Sara bought a leash for her and took her outside but the leash had to be altered Missy was really good at getting out of the leash!

  6. #6
    Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,960
    Your geckos are really cute!

    My brother had a zoo in his apartment last year. A ferret, a tarantula (ew), a lizard or sorts, three cats, a dog, and two birds. I think that's it....but I'm not sure. Small apartment, by the way, these kids were nuts.
    I have two cats and bird, I'm pretty sure I've posted pics of them before but here goes.


    Leia, I got as a highschool graduation gift, she's 10 years old.
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...L/IMG_1622.jpg[/IMG]

    Orion, I rescued last year, she was abandoned and neglected. Starving for affection and for food, she was tiny tiny tiny, about 4 lbs when I got her. She's the most affectionate interactive cat I've ever seen, and we love her to bits. She talks to us, siamese are usually very vocal!
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...MTL/orion1.jpg[/IMG]


    *edited because I'm a dummy and can't spell, lol!

  7. #7
    Super Member Mplsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Villages, FL
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Your geckos are really cute!

    My brother had a zoo in his apartment last year. A ferret, a tarantula (ew), a lizard or sorts, three cats, a dog, and two birds. I think that's it....but I'm not sure. Small apartment, by the way, these kids were nuts.
    I have two cats and bird, I'm pretty sure I've posted pics of them before but here goes.


    Leia, I got as a highschool graduation gift, she's 10 years old.
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...L/IMG_1622.jpg[/IMG]

    Orion, I rescued last year, she was abandoned and neglected. Starving for affection and for food, she was tiny tiny tiny, about 4 lbs when I got her. She's the most affectionate interactive cat I've ever seen, and we love her to bits. She talks to us, siamese are usually very vocal!
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...MTL/orion1.jpg[/IMG]


    *edited because I'm a dummy and can't spell, lol!
    Both kitties are adorable but Orion is gorgeous!!

  8. #8
    Super Member Bill'sBonBon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Okeechobee, Florida
    Posts
    1,070
    I love ferrets. In the early 1980's we had two. They are so funny.Their names were Cheech and Chonge. :lol: :lol: They loved paper bags or anything they could get into and out of quick. But Paper Bags were their favorite toy. You have a happy looking bunch of pets. Wonderful.
    BillsBonBon

  9. #9
    Junior Member tweety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    175
    The geckos are very interesting, pretty color. Never been sure of something like that (to own) do they bite?

    Melanie, your kitties are beautiful. Of course I'm a cat lover with 6 of my own. Why is it they alway love to be on our beds and computer chairs?
    Linda/MI

  10. #10
    boomwooshblahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    My daughter(33) got a ferret for her 18th birthday from her then fiancee now husband. She and her dad and I built a cage for the ferret-Missy. Missy died a few years ago and I miss her more than anyone else does. I used to get her out and play with her alot when we stayed with them. Sara bought a leash for her and took her outside but the leash had to be altered Missy was really good at getting out of the leash!
    Aww, I'm sorry about Missy. That is so true about them gettting out of their leash though. We have 2 harnesses and leashes, we use them sometimes but don't really trust them.. they've gotten out before. Worst time was when we took them outside to play in the snow (they loved it btw) and Dexter got out and darted under a car, I literally had to dive on the ground to catch him. I thought he was a goner. The other ferret that we have (the one not pictured) is way too small to even think about putting in the harness. If the other guys can get out, she'll defintley get out. I love taking them outside though, just have to keep a REALLY close eye on them. Sometimes we'll move their smaller cage outside, even spray them with water sometimes... we don't have AC and it get's really hot. They love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Your geckos are really cute!

    My brother had a zoo in his apartment last year. A ferret, a tarantula (ew), a lizard or sorts, three cats, a dog, and two birds. I think that's it....but I'm not sure. Small apartment, by the way, these kids were nuts.
    I have two cats and bird, I'm pretty sure I've posted pics of them before but here goes.


    Leia, I got as a highschool graduation gift, she's 10 years old.
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...L/IMG_1622.jpg[/IMG]

    Orion, I rescued last year, she was abandoned and neglected. Starving for affection and for food, she was tiny tiny tiny, about 4 lbs when I got her. She's the most affectionate interactive cat I've ever seen, and we love her to bits. She talks to us, siamese are usually very vocal!
    [IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...MTL/orion1.jpg[/IMG]

    *edited because I'm a dummy and can't spell, lol!
    I've had 2 cats that look a lot like Leia. The first one was named Misty, my parents got him before I was born, and he lived to be 17 I think. Then a few years after he died, my mom and I went to the humane society and saw a kitten that looked just like him and had to get her, named her Mystic, she still lives at home with my mom. I miss her so much, I'll get to see her tomorrow though when I go home. :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    I love ferrets. In the early 1980's we had two. They are so funny.Their names were Cheech and Chonge. :lol: :lol: They loved paper bags or anything they could get into and out of quick. But Paper Bags were their favorite toy. You have a happy looking bunch of pets. Wonderful.
    BillsBonBon
    Ha! I love the names.


    Quote Originally Posted by tweety
    The geckos are very interesting, pretty color. Never been sure of something like that (to own) do they bite?

    Melanie, your kitties are beautiful. Of course I'm a cat lover with 6 of my own. Why is it they alway love to be on our beds and computer chairs?
    Linda/MI
    No, they don't bite at all. Some types of lizards/geckos do... but I've never heard of leopard geckos biting. And even if these guys did, it probably wouldn't hurt... they're not much bigger than anoles. I've attached a picture to better show the size of the geckos.




    Yosef
    Name:  Attachment-38828.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  35.8 KB

  11. #11
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,798
    Blog Entries
    50
    I don't remember the reason but Missy started losing all her fur. She was bald by the time she died. Sara had her to the vet several times and couldn't do anything for her. Yeah it was sad.

    At one time when we lived in the country and my kids (in their 30's now)
    were in jr high we had 15 dogs ( a shepherd had 10 pups) and 6 cats - 5 birds(9 cockatiels and parakeets in a 6 ft aviary) and 80 rabbits (with all the babies)

    We inherited the rabbits from my inlaws when mom had her fourth stroke and Dad found her on the floor of the garage where she was feeding the rabbits so he packed up all the runs and brought it all kit and kaboodle down to us.
    My boys learned how to shoot when it was time to dress some. Some were pets and we handled a lot and some were not that friendly.
    Let me tell you rabbits are not as defenseless as you might think!!
    We had one that a weasel got in her cage and she stomped him through the screen wire!!! and they can bite!!!

    We had several silver martins and they have silver and black fur. They are really!! pretty. Usually pretty friendly too. We had one that would mother anything you gave her no matter how many babies! Sometimes a mother would reject the babies for whatever reason and then we had to move them to a surrogate mother. We had several that would accept other babies easily. It was fun most of the time.

    Ah that was along time ago! in the 80s and now we live in small quarters. We remodeled my dad's auto shop into an apartment for DH and I so I am not allowed to bring home any new pets!! I was supposed to only have 1 dog. We got a beagle then my son asked if I would housebreak a German short haired pointer because she was tearing up their house. I took her at 4 mos and then he didn't want her back so 5 yrs later here she is!! and then the doctor thought the grandkids were allergic to the cat so we inherited the cat! 7 years ago.
    We got my DH a cockatiel so now I am definately forbidden any more pets!!!! They all like to tell me when to get up and when to go to bed and if I am out of the room for long they will start barking or screaming(the cockatiel Miss Snick(short for snickers)

    We had one that kept escaping so matter what we did! We called him Houdini.

  12. #12
    Power Poster Rhonda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Salem Iowa
    Posts
    15,798
    Blog Entries
    50
    My daughter Sara learned the love of animals well! She got a bearded dragon for her 10 yr old son and they have a cat and a service dog for her autistic son and a cockatiel. in a small apartment with three kids!
    She built her own cage for Fred the bearded dragon. We have taken care of all of the animals when they went on vacation.
    I am not crazy about feeding Fred! He eats live crickets and mealie worms. Yuck! I did it but wasn't overjoyed! I am not freaked out by bugs but I don't want them getting loose in my home either.

  13. #13
    boomwooshblahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I don't remember the reason but Missy started losing all her fur. She was bald by the time she died. Sara had her to the vet several times and couldn't do anything for her. Yeah it was sad.

    At one time when we lived in the country and my kids (in their 30's now)
    were in jr high we had 15 dogs ( a shepherd had 10 pups) and 6 cats - 5 birds(9 cockatiels and parakeets in a 6 ft aviary) and 80 rabbits (with all the babies)

    We inherited the rabbits from my inlaws when mom had her fourth stroke and Dad found her on the floor of the garage where she was feeding the rabbits so he packed up all the runs and brought it all kit and kaboodle down to us.
    My boys learned how to shoot when it was time to dress some. Some were pets and we handled a lot and some were not that friendly.
    Let me tell you rabbits are not as defenseless as you might think!!
    We had one that a weasel got in her cage and she stomped him through the screen wire!!! and they can bite!!!

    We had several silver martins and they have silver and black fur. They are really!! pretty. Usually pretty friendly too. We had one that would mother anything you gave her no matter how many babies! Sometimes a mother would reject the babies for whatever reason and then we had to move them to a surrogate mother. We had several that would accept other babies easily. It was fun most of the time.

    Ah that was along time ago! in the 80s and now we live in small quarters. We remodeled my dad's auto shop into an apartment for DH and I so I am not allowed to bring home any new pets!! I was supposed to only have 1 dog. We got a beagle then my son asked if I would housebreak a German short haired pointer because she was tearing up their house. I took her at 4 mos and then he didn't want her back so 5 yrs later here she is!! and then the doctor thought the grandkids were allergic to the cat so we inherited the cat! 7 years ago.
    We got my DH a cockatiel so now I am definately forbidden any more pets!!!! They all like to tell me when to get up and when to go to bed and if I am out of the room for long they will start barking or screaming(the cockatiel Miss Snick(short for snickers)

    We had one that kept escaping so matter what we did! We called him Houdini.
    I've heard that ferrets often lose their hair, I think it usually has to do with adrenal disease, which a lot of ferrets get when they get older. We're not sure how old Chester is, since a friend of ours found him, and I'm starting to worry he might be older than we first thought. My fiance shaved all of them because we don't have AC and I read somewhere that they really shouldn't get above 80 degrees. The other 2 have started to grow their hair back pretty well, but Chester's just isn't growing back nearly as fast, and the part that is growing back is in patches.. it's not growing back everywhere. :( I'm going 'home' (my mom's house) tomorrow, and I'm taking him with me... gonna see how he reacts to the cat.

  14. #14
    Junior Member mochasue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    295
    You asked for it - Here are all of my pets.

    [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P1010043.jpg[/IMG]
    Maggie

    [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/P1010023.jpg[/IMG]
    Orangey

    [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/PB111694.jpg[/IMG]
    Grey Kitty

    [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/IM_A0048.jpg[/IMG]
    Sophie

    That doesn't include the horses.

  15. #15
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    They are so cute. My son wants a ferret, but I have heard you can't have them with big birds. I have a Blue and Gold macaw and an African Gray so it's a no go.

  16. #16
    Super Member Shemjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    Beautiful critters! I have 4 inside cats and 2 dogs. Will try to get their photos up when I am on DSL. :lol:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.