My poodle has seizures

Old 09-01-2011, 08:52 PM

I'm so sorry...I know how you feel. I have a Wire Fox terrier that has 3-4 seizures a year. It breaks my heart every time it happens, makes me wonder how many I haven't seen. But, I just pet her and talk to her and tell her I love her and it will be ok. She is usually wiped out the rest of the day and sleeps a lot. We love our furbabies like our own kids!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 PM

I've also been told that a bit of Karo syrup may help. My neighbor's dog had seizures, and she used to call me all the time because she didn't handle them well-she had me give him Karo syrup.
I had a dog that had occasional seizures too. His were so infrequent that he was never on meds. He knew when they were coming on, as he would run to me. I absolutely disagree that he couldn't hear me, or know that I was with him. I KNOW it shortened my guy's seizure time, and he knew exactly where he was and that I was there when he stopped seizing.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:31 PM

When I was a teen my family had a toy poodle that had seizures. That breed is prone to epilepsy. He seemed to like being held and having something to brace himself against, so we would wrap a towel around him to protect ourselves from his claws, and just hold him tight until it was over.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 PM

Yes, we have a wennie dog who started having seizures when he was about 6 years old. Like your dog, he does not have them often and they do not last very long. But when he does have one, he gets really stiff, his eyes roll back and he just jerks around. I hold him, take him outside to get fresh air and talk to him softly. Our vet does not what causes them.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:45 AM

Our golden has not had any seizures since we began medicating him.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 AM

My beloved Jonah, seen here in my avatar, has seizures several times a year, and has done since he was 18 months old. He is going to be 9 years old on September 4. Unfortunatley, Jonah's seizures are the cluster type, where he will have anywhere from 2 to 8 in a 3 day period. With each seizure, he gets weaker. He is blind for a while after the seizure too. One of these times we will have to face the dreaded day, and do the right thing for him. I can't even say the word. The thing about him though, is that he recovers so well after a cluster, then he is wonderful for months, then it happens again. He is on a cocktail of medication that costs me a bundle every month, but as long as he is well, we will continue. He takes phenobarbitol, potassium bromide and leviteracetam every day, and when he is clustering, he also takes mega doses of clonazepam. Bless him, the boy comes twice a day for his meds and takes them willingly. We took him to a veterinary neurologist soon after he began the seizures, and she monitors his meds and liver function (the phenobarbitol is toxic to the liver, so he once went into liver failure too). But he is a tough boy, and adorable. Now he is grey in the face, but still my darling baby.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 AM

We had a yellow lab that would have seizures. My husband had been instructed from our vet how to inject Ranger with a medication which really helped...when we knew about them. Problem was, of course, that we had no idea how often he might have seized while we were at work.

We figured out that most of Ranger's seizures happened when a strong low pressure system was moving through...I don't know if that would be a scientific fact, but with us, watching the weather helped with keeping Ranger from seizing.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:55 AM

My kitty Schmoo (see avatar) had seizures about 4 years ago she was just laying on the couch, and all of a suddent she got up circled the spot she was in crying and then just lost all control of her body and fell on the floor shaking and drooling, when she came out of it she bolted and got stuck under the lip of the computer desk and we had to pull her out.

We rushed her to the emergency vet and they kept her for 3 days. She had 2 more seizures within 24 hours which I guess makes them put her on phenylbarbitol.

She was on it for about 2 years, I weaned her off and she hasn't had a seizure since, but about the same time, she developed severe allergies to different foods and all kinds of outdoor greenage and she gets steroid shots 4 times a year now.

Weird huh. I hope your baby is ok, but 4 times a year isn't bad as long as they aren't Grand Mal seizures.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:00 AM

I have a boxer who has occasional siezures. I have finally recognized the warning signs - a day or so before it happens, he becomes very clingy to us and will start salivating a lot. Sure enough, he'll have one shortly thereafter. Our vet said if we are able to distract him, like call his name and he'll turn his head, then his aren't anything to worry about. Fortunately, he will acknowledge that we have called his name, even had him come to one of us, so that's good. He's not on any medication either. The episodes last anywhere from 1-3 minutes and then he seems to be pretty tired for awhile. After that, he's fine.
Good luck with yours, hope all goes well for you.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:09 AM

I had a poodle that took seizures and the first one
I saw him have I took him to the vet and he gave
him medicine to take everyday and he did not
have anymore. My poodle fell down the steps when
he had the seizure and he could have broken all his
bones or killed himself. It is safer to give him the
medicine than take a chance that his next seizure
might do more damage than just a seizure.