Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My quilt pictures on the internet

Blog Entries

My quilt pictures on the internet

I was very surprised today to receive an email from sew-whats-new.com (which I am subscribed to) that they featured a quilt of mine "Hearts". When I click on the links there are pictures of five of the quilts that I have made. I am surprised because the Quilting Board is the only place that I have ever posted pictures of my quilts. It just goes to show that once something is posted anywhere on the internet it is out there. I guess that I should be flattered that someone likes my quilts enough to link to them. Sherry

I have seen a lot of my quilting photos grabbed from here and posted on pinterest. Thankfully I got permission from all the makers to post pictures of them to show the quilting.

It is rude to do that. I consider it theft. It may not break any laws but it is so unethical. But, there is always someone who is greedy enough to use others for their selfish gain, or just never been taught better.

Blog Entries
    When you post pictures on a Public Forum, or any Public website you are pretty much giving anyone access to your photos. If you want your photos to remain ( private) you need to copyright them and only put them on your own ( Private) pages.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Many folks don't realize that this is a public board. Anything you post here is available on the internet. Some are confused because you have to have an ID to post to it, but anyone can read it and copy items. I guess you just have to take it as a compliment...
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I've seen blocks of mine on bing and google and on other sites like them and search engines. Didn't know it was out there till I found it. I guess if you post it, it's out there for good.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    There may be rules, but there are no police on the internet. Beware whatever and when ever you post. I can be picked up and sent heaven know where.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Exactly why I rarely post pics here. If I'm going to post pics of my quilts, it will be from my blog, where I can put my watermark on them.
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by adamae View Post
    It is rude to do that. I consider it theft. It may not break any laws but it is so unethical. But, there is always someone who is greedy enough to use others for their selfish gain, or just never been taught better.
    Reposting from a public board is not theft or rude or unethical. It's public. Posters that get their egos all in a tizzy about their pictures being reposted should know this, by now anyway.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Reposting from a public board is not theft or rude or unethical. It's public. Posters that get their egos all in a tizzy about their pictures being reposted should know this, by now anyway.
    I totally agree. I post lots and lots of pictures (my own), not just quilts to public forums. I know when I post anything, picture or information to a public forum, it is just that public. A picture that is reposted is seldom making the reposter money, or taking money from the original poster.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Blog Entries
    I really don't see the fuss. Didn't we used to say imitation was the highest form of flattery. Yes I know all about copyright etc. but for most of our quilting posts there is some degree of copying, using someone's pattern, sharing patterns and copying because "yours looks so good." The internet is wide open.
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Sherry I do hope they gave you credit for making your quilts that they published. However, I think it would have been a very nice gesture to ask you before doing so. After hearing on the NEWS last night that the Govt. (FC think) is trying to get a law passed to tax the internet- if so there might be a lot of things that will not be used or published on the Net in the future if someone has to pay to do it.
    Last edited by Gerbie; 02-12-2015 at 05:14 AM.

......not only quilts....GKs pics, family, vacation plans.....

I agree with Kassaundra and Onebyone. When did we turn over being responsible for ourselves to others?

Pat

I created a tutorial on my blog for making a raggedy binding, and I got an emailed comment from someone who said the link to my tutorial was shared with her at a quilting retreat. Wow! I was kind of humbled and shocked all in one…I didn't think anyone ever really looked at my blog, lol. But it's fine with me – I wouldn't have put the info out there if I didn't want people to see it.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I'm new to the board, but I would say it's typically a compliment and I guess I would take it as such. Now, if it was an original pattern; then I definately want to be credited and like Cindi said, would want to watermark it. And maybe sell the pattern, LOL.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Yep that is why I only use my furkids and grand furkids as my avatars. I never post a pic of my kids or grands on any public forum. For sure none of the quilts or crocheting I have done.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I only post pictures of my quilts here. I have been very shocked suddenly finding them on pin interest.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I stand by what I stated. Whatever happened to good manners?

Ok , I am hurt that no one wants mine. lol

Yes, I have noticed that threads that are posted on this website go immediately into Google so it doesn't surprise me. At least they were nice enough to contact you.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    If someone likes my quilts well enough to pin them elsewhere, I just take it for a complement. This has also helped me get a commission for a quilt so no harm no foul to me.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I use to see some of mine on facebook. I quit using it for a while then started again. It is a good way for me to keep up with an Army Grandson.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Thanks for sharing...

Once posted anywhere on the internet its out there for anyone to see - regardless of rights, morals or laws - if you don't want anyone else seeing it or using it - don't post it. I post pics of my quilts and it has brought me business - I have had commissions from my facebook postings - so I am happy when others "like" my quilts or share the pictures.