for my southern friends

Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by Kappy
Yah, you betcha!!
Finally...a scandinavian!!!
Actually it's an Iowan/Minnesotan thing. :)
Well...can you be from Minnesota or Iowa and "not" be scandinavian? :lol: I thought it was a law or something!....and yes I am from MN and I am Scandinavian! you betcha!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kappy

Well...can you be from Minnesota or Iowa and "not" be scandinavian? :lol: I thought it was a law or something!....and yes I am from MN and I am Scandinavian! you betcha!
Can you? lol My MIL was born and raised in SW Minnesota. My FIL was raised in central Iowa. They are as dutch as dutch can be!! We live about 25 miles from Pella IA, which is like Holland in the US.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Sweet Home Alabama!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM

I am in southern Ohio , in the country raised by poor hard working parents.( dad is near 70 and still goes to the factory every day to earn a meager living.) I talk like the above post. In fact I have caught lots of grief about it. I now often have to remind folks not to mistake my lack of grammer for lack of intelligence!!!!!
It has at times been a sore subject with me. I have even had some "high falutin" patients / family members not want me as their nurse. I used to feel offended but now just laugh. You see I had to finally just tell myself, I went to college, passed the same test as the other students. Passed the same boards the first try as the "smart sounding nurses" bla,bla,bla. I have even been told that I would never be able to advance my carreer because of the way I talk (was told this by a boss that was from Maine,I loved her and we had a great relationship,but my accent/speech drove her over the edge)

Well for a short time I tried to keep it in check, and I really do try to not say" Ain't got" or "I'm fixin to bath my patient" and similar phrases at work,but.... I do get tired of being judged by the way I speak, you see I am VERY proud of my "uneducated " hard working blue collar daddy! and I refuse to feel shame of be judged for how I talk. I am not ingnorant, in fact I am a very highly skilled critical care nurse that the young higher educated nurses often look up to and frequently ask how I know so much just by looking at a patient. I really don't know the answer cept that it is some good old fashioned calm and wise common since My parents taught me.

I know this is a tangent and I know the post was in fun and it is funny,(think larry the cable guy Love him!) I just wanted to set the record straight since this seems to be brought up frequently to me because I talk diffrent.

Rae
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 PM

OK, now, this is a true Southern Belle here, born in Florida, raised in South West Georgia! Yep we do things different and even talk different, I like to tell people that my husband, Jessie, is fluent in 2 languages, American and SouthGeorgianese.
BUT, yes, BUT, we moved to Massachussetts and you have never seen such culture shock......I don't know who had the biggest shock, me or them.

I had people follow us in the store to listen to us talk! Had my granddaughter with me and they were fascinated with our speech and manners? Evidently the folks up North NEVER speak to a stranger, I would say hello or good morning, afternoon, evening to someone and they acted as if they smelled something bad. Short tempered, frowns, suspicious, and so very outspoken! I could not understand them any more than they could understand me, BUT (again) i was much more tolerant than most of the ones I met were. I found most people rude.

However, I did survive it for a year, my husband was there 2 years, and was sooooooo happy to move to Washington D.c.
Yep, you guessed it, out of the frying pan right into the flame! After living in Alexandria for a year we moved out 22 miles and stayed there about 3 years, then moved down to Fredericksburg Va.........truly Southern and I was truly appreciative.

Been gone from there now since 1990 and love the small place we retired to (well, Dh retired, I'm still working full time) we have 138 registered voters and you will hear gun shots now and again, but its someone checking a new gun or practice shooting a new scope.

I am truly thankful I was born in the United States of America and truly, truly thankful I was born and raised in the Souther part of this great nation. I used to have a bumper sticker -only one I ever put on my vehicle that read:

AMERICAN BY BIRTH -- SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD!

No matter where you're from or where you go folks are different from where you were, I love meeting new people from everywhere!

delma
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM

When referring to Coke, Pepsi, etc. do you use the term Pop or Soda?

I'm a 'pop' kinda girl. :)
Being a South Floridian( Lake Okeechobee) born and raised Retired in GA...If you heard someone say,pop or soda you knew they were Yankees For us It is Coke even if you meant pepsi,unless you spesify,Dr. Pepper,Orange,Grape,or YooHoo..nothing like a choc.YooHoo.. :lol:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 PM

"I had people follow us in the store to listen to us talk! Had my granddaughter with me and they were fascinated with our speech and manners? Evidently the folks up North NEVER speak to a stranger, I would say hello or good morning, afternoon, evening to someone and they acted as if they smelled something bad. Short tempered, frowns, suspicious, and so very outspoken! I could not understand them any more than they could understand me, BUT (again) i was much more tolerant than most of the ones I met were. I found most people rude."

I never thought about the gift of gab we have lol. I have had conversations with complete strangers in the store that go on and on. Then there are other times I start to strike up a conversation and the other party looks at me like I have three or four heads lol. Especially if I hear someone looking for something or I know of a cheaper price I seem compelled to jump right in and help even if they don't want the help lol. Again antother trait I got from family. i sometimes go some where with my dad, He will ask random questions even at gas stations like "where ya yall headed, or how you like that chevy ,lol. Sometimes they talk and sometimes they don't . Dad just says ,well they must be havin a rough day ,or that feller ain't too friendly. LMBO.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:19 PM

All this talk is making me homesick for Baldwin County Alabama..... are the azaleas in bloom yet? Magnolia trees shouldn't be flowering yet, are they? Did the cold winter set everything back? I know it must be pine pollen season, but (sniffing.....) I love that smell even though it can cause allergies. And nobody, but nobody makes sweet tea like it's made there.

Okay, that does it. We are packing our bags. :thumbup:
Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Loved this!

I lived in Alabama during my early childhood years, can't say I ever said "big ol'" anything, though I do remember saying "I'm fixin' to!" a lot.

IMO, "y'all" is one of the greatest, most useful words in southern English.

Last, about those stores that sell bait, movies and food, I remember one up in northern New Hampshire. I rented the movies and bought food, too. It's okay, as long as the bait isn't in the same case as the food!
I've actually been to stores that have bait in the same cooler as the food. That's definitely not good!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Kas

Well, my Mema told me that the difference between a yankee and a dam#ed yankee was a yankee came to visit but the da#@ed yankee came to stay! I never heard anyone say "ought!" like a command to not do something. I have heard them say "he ought not to have done that". But my nephew "won'ted a dog, Ain't Kathy." Or at least that's how it sounded! He really "wanted a dog, Aunt Kathy"!