My town is so small....

Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Oh My, sounds like heaven, I hope soon my hubs will retire and we can move to a warmer climate and where no one is around for miles and miles. Does anyone know if such a place still exists???
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Small town, 3 way stop at north end of town, a sign coming into town that looks very official says: the name of the town, next three exits, population 87 more or less. Town has three streets! 1 post office, 2 churches, 1 tavern, an elevator that is used only during the fall. 6 miles from grocery store, school, library, etc.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:22 PM

here in Dunlap, there is one main street, 3 lights is small compared to Miami, but the closest town are like 15 miles apart at least and they are smallest than this one, but the people's heart are big, I love living here is like a safeheaven, and I feel like this is finally home
Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 PM

It sounds lovely and quaint where you live. I am envious.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 PM

I love the little town I live in. population of about 1,000 people. No city police, we do have CHP & sheriff. No stop light, one Mom & Pop store, 2 mexican resturants, a pizza place, one burger shop, & an Irish Pub resturant that is only open on the weekends. I had a deli & bakery and couldn't make my expenses so closed it a year ago. I live 4 miles out of town and 1/2 mile down a dirt road in the middle of an alfalfa field. I love it..Walmart is 25 miles away, LQS 30 miles. We have the elementary & high school here..the middle school 6th-8th grade kids get bussed to the next town 12 miles away. The elementary and high school kids from that town get bussed here. We do have a medical/dental clinic, bank, a hardware store, post office, one motel, a cute B&B in the old hospital building and one gas station but it's a card lock one so no attendant there, you just pay at the pump with a credit or debit card and pump your own gas. We drive into Oregon to do all our shopping. Nice thing about that is there's no sales tax in Oregon.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM

We have enough stop lights to share with all of you! I've always lived in cities or suburbs. Small town living has always had an appeal to me, though. Would be nice to have a little slower pace:-)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 AM

Sounds like the little town I grew up in. In the center of the town at a "T" in the road, was our school, a church, a small store, and the Grange hall. Our school was a grade school, with two rooms. The "little" room was for 1st through 3rd grades, and the "big" room was for 4th through 6th grades. Two teachers (Mr. Hudson was the "big" room teacher and the principal, Mrs. Hudson was the "little" room teacher and the secretary. Sometimes one grade has any few as two kids in the class. I think my class was the biggest at about 12 kids. We had a cook, who cooked just like our moms did--everything home made. We knew everybody in town. It was a great place to grow up. Our home was very rustic--we even had an outhouse that we used on a daily basis, even through the winter. We also raised our own cows for milk and beef, had chickens for poultry and eggs, raised pigs and had a huge garden, with a few fruit trees scattered in our yard. Mom made everything we ate--from bread to cottage cheese to ketchup. She canned fruits and vegetables for our use during the winter months, when we didn't have any fresh produce on hand. When we got older, we had an hour-long bus ride to Junior High and High School--nearly two hours if we rode the "activity" bus home for after school stuff. Sounds like I must be about 90 years old--but I'm not yet 60. It wasn't too long after I became an adult that things changed in my home town. There is no school there anymore--the kids are all bused out. The store changed hands many times, and I'm not sure it's still in business anymore. The Grange is still active, and so is the church. Lots of new homes in the area, and I don't think everyone knows everyone anymore. Ah...progress... :cry:
Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
Oh My, sounds like heaven, I hope soon my hubs will retire and we can move to a warmer climate and where no one is around for miles and miles. Does anyone know if such a place still exists???
Yep, there are still some places around as you describe. Hopefully my little town will not be found by the "hoards" until well after I am dust :lol: Love her just the way she is.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 AM

I was (and still am) a city gal, but my husband grew up in a town with one school, K-12 in one building, one stoplight. He said everyone knew your busiiness and gossiped about everyone else. He hated it. I don't think it would have bothered me that much since I don't value other folks opinions as much as he did, but would have hated being that far from fabric shopping!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 AM

I would like to live there I don't like big town.