Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Myths, Wives tales, Superstitions, and the Like

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    if there were bubbles when we poured tea into your tea cup, my MIL used to scoop them up with a spoon and eat them. If you did, you were supposed to have money coming your way.
    My father did this with his coffee, he would sip the bubbles up immediately... he said it meant money was comming.

[quote=jaciqltznok and the part that goes over the fence last is called the Popes Nose...[/quote]

In Maine, we called that the petau.......don't ask me why, I have no idea but might have been french.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    If you eat black eyed peas with your dinner on New Year's Eve you will have a properous new year.

If your right palm itches, money is coming
    If your left palm itches, money is leaving

A cricket in your house is a sign of good luck.

If a ladybug lands on you, good luck is coming your way.

My favorite one is, what you do to your parents, your children will be ten times worse.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
    If you eat black eyed peas with your dinner on New Year's Eve you will have a properous new year.

If your right palm itches, money is coming
    If your left palm itches, money is leaving

A cricket in your house is a sign of good luck.

If a ladybug lands on you, good luck is coming your way.

My favorite one is, what you do to your parents, your children will be ten times worse.
    which reminds, if you hit your mother, your hands will grow out of your grave!

If your right palm itches, money is coming = right for receiving,
    If your left palm itches, money is leaving= left for relieving!

Step on a crack will break your mother's back.

Don't tell a lie or your nose will grow.
    Don't cross your eyes or they will stay that way.

something was wrong with my key board, so was unable to finish, but i always loved the
    red sky at night thing

my favorite, when i lived in nc, was "the frogs are crying for rain" people would say that just before the rain came in the summer (usually another hurricane-when i lived in nc i sat thru several of them, like i think 17 or at least it seemed like it. bonnie came over us 5 times in otway, once you could even see the eye, and the gulls flying in it over the house, lucky for us, it was just days without elec, for other people it was horrible. i must ask my mom, she is 94 and i bet she has a million, texas girl, raised on a ranch, the stories she can tell

jan in palatka

Seaweed can predict the weather. My grandmother swore by hers.

Dry and there would be no rain.

Wet and it would rain.

Scientists have just proved this is correct.

I loved a saying of my mother's. If you fall off that and break your leg, don't come running to me. Hmmmm running is a bit difficult if your leg is broken.

Sad part, is that one day I heard myself saying it to my son!!!!

Mom always said:
    Don't rock the empty rocking chair- bad luck
    Don't open an umbrella in the house- brings rains of bad luck
    Ears burning- someone's talking about you
    Don't leave shoes on the couch/chair - you'll be a wanderer all your life

Can't remember others-- seems like she had a superstition for everything! LOL

Don't put your purse on the floor all the money runs out. I don't put mine on the floor cause I just make ends meet. Try it and let me know if it works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    If you hit your mother, your hand will stick out of your grave.
    I don't know about hands coming out of graves but I could have guaranteed something else would have happened had I dared to hit my mother.

Can't imagine ever wanting to hit my mother. Sainted woman.

I can tell you that Grandma was very superstitious - old world superstitious. If she dreamed of someone a certain way it foretold that they would die. The poor woman then spent the next several days (or whatever it took) in mourning and guilt ridden until that person died (which strangely enough wasn't usually very long). Seriously, she would wear black and literally rock back and forth in her chair with her head bowed while fingering and saying the rosary - trance like.

One of my friends mothers was Sicilian. She wouldn't let anyone put shoes on the table as it would mean someone in the house would die. Not even brand new in the box "look what I bought today" shoes. And certainly NOT shoes if they were still on your feet - heaven forbid (that foretold a slap on the back on the head!).

Oh!! My husband has one that he taught me when I went to England. It's about Magpies. We don't have Magpies here where I live so the first time I saw one in England I exclaimed 'oooh! look at the pretty bird'! He saw it and said "look away quick!". I guess one Magpie is bad luck as they are usually seen in pairs.

Those darn birds .. every time I've seen a Magpie in Englands I've *A* Magpie.

And his mother would put sheets/blankets over the mirrors if someone passed away. My comment was "well, *someone* passes away every day", hubbies response "that could explain Mom's lack of skill in the makeup/hair department".

I've seen a lot of the same ones I've heard but here's a few no one has mentioned yet.... put pennies in ziplock bags filled with water and put them around the area you want to keep fly free... picnic.... cookout etc.

More babies are born at the full moon. Also, in astrology, if the person's chart shows the moon is square to the sun, the parents were not getting along when child was conceived. Ring around the moon means rain. Work begun at new moon will be more prosperous. Work begun at full moon will always struggle to survive.

The stripe on woolly caterpillar in the fall tells of the winter temps... the thicker the stripe the colder the winter.

An itchy nose means you'll have a fight.

Spit on a bite to stop the itch.

Another from my MIL ..... never seat 13 at the table, or one will pass away within the year.

If that were the count, she would either split it into two tables, invite another or you could bet she would not sit at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen
    ptquilts, is that because she didn't dig the hole deep enough?
    ROFLMBO!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    if there were bubbles when we poured tea into your tea cup, my MIL used to scoop them up with a spoon and eat them. If you did, you were supposed to have money coming your way.
    Whenever we made pitchers of iced tea Mama always called the 'foam' on the top that we skimmed off 'money'. Thanks for the memory :lol:

I have heard that if you have a bumper crop of acorns ao crab apples you are in for a bad winter.
    thunder in the fall no winter at all

If you have a wart, bury a dish cloth. When it rots, your wart will go away. My Mom told me that it worked for her. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Oh!! My husband has one that he taught me when I went to England. It's about Magpies. We don't have Magpies here where I live so the first time I saw one in England I exclaimed 'oooh! look at the pretty bird'! He saw it and said "look away quick!". I guess one Magpie is bad luck as they are usually seen in pairs.

Those darn birds .. every time I've seen a Magpie in Englands I've *A* Magpie.

And his mother would put sheets/blankets over the mirrors if someone passed away. My comment was "well, *someone* passes away every day", hubbies response "that could explain Mom's lack of skill in the makeup/hair department".
    Oh that is funny. We sat Shiva for my Jewish FIL and covered the mirrors. We weren't supposed to wear make-up either but I didn't want to scare anyone so sneaked some on.

If you see a penny on the ground that is heads up, pick it up for luck. If it is tails up it is bad luck to pick it up, turn it over but leave it there for the next person to find and they'll have good luck.

If you give a knife as a gift, include a penny for luck so it doesn't 'sever' your relationship with the receiver. If they give you the penny back they have 'purchased' the knife from you and it isn't a gift anymore and the relationship is safe.

Don't sweep the floor after dark, especially not out an open door.

It sure wasn't good luck for the cricket to be found in the house...I had a cat who would sing at the door to lure them in (he used a kind of 'chirpy' noise) and then he would rend them limb from limb (but never actually 'eat' them ;-) )

Mama told my sister once that to change into a boy (my sister was the only girl in a house of 5 boys for nearly 13 years, and HATED it) she should kiss her elbow. Luckily it isn't possible to kiss one's own elbow (I guess unless one is a contortionist) because I am lucky to have the BEST sister EVER!

Never cut the ribbons on wedding gifts, pull them off the package instead (more severing relationships stuff)

Don't wear sparkly jewelry to cemeteries so you don't attract attention. I've extended that to not wearing jewelry other than wedding ring to funeral services whether they are at graveside or not.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses! Thanks for posting :-)

My nana was very superstitous if a tea towel fell she said company is coming, and she would put a pot of tea on, and someone would show up - weird.
    A bird flying into the house meant that there was going to be a death.
    Same thing with fore runners if you heard 3 knocks on your door, and I remember that happening, mom would go to the door and no one was there. Then she got a call her brother passed away.

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    Oh I forgot one,
    Never give anyone an empty wallet for a gift, always put at least a dollar bill in it, if not it was considered bad financial luck.

laalaaquilter, those poor crickets!

My MIL did this too, put a penny in a new purse she gave me.

Blog Entries
    Never rock and empty rocking chair or someone will die.

Never open an umbrella in the house,

Don't ask, I have no idea why my Grandmother felt so strongly about those but I find myself saying the same things.

My sweet little Grandmother would ALWAYS leave by the same door she entered the house when she came for a visit. Old-time Czech superstition?

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    If your nose tickled then you would Kiss a Fool.

If your ears were ringing, someone was talking about you...

If you tickled a baby's feet, it would make them studder.

Never leave a cat in a room with a infant. It will suck the life from it. :shock:

Find a heads-up penny, put it in your shoe. For good luck.

Never start a trip on a Friday, you'll meet mis-fortune.

If the bottom of your foot itches you will take a trip.

Freckles are caused by being under the cow too long.

A sudden chill means that someone is walking on your Grave.

Those are just a few my Mom came up with... :roll:

BTW... 13 "IS" my lucky number. My Son was born on the 13th.. :D

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast