Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Myths, Wives tales, Superstitions, and the Like >

Myths, Wives tales, Superstitions, and the Like

Myths, Wives tales, Superstitions, and the Like

Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM

It's always been a pully bone at our house. We always eat black eyed peas at new years for good luck. Always hang your horseshoes with the ends turned up or all your luck will run out.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
My stepmother had a few good ones.

If you drop a fork, company's coming. A knife, it will be a man, a spoon, a woman.

If you hit your mother, your hand will stick out of your grave.
lol Will have to go check out the cemetaries.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by be a quilter
Originally Posted by ptquilts
My stepmother had a few good ones.

If you drop a fork, company's coming. A knife, it will be a man, a spoon, a woman.

If you hit your mother, your hand will stick out of your grave.
lol Will have to go check out the cemetaries.
Try that on Halloween!!! Should be some fun!!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:32 AM

No bananas allowed on boats! Bad luck! Mostly known by fisherman!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by IrelandDragonQuilting
Originally Posted by berrypatch
I have a special rock that I keep outside. When it is hot & dry- it is sunny, when wet-it is raining, when white-it is snowing! :lol:
LOL too funny! Here in wyoming we use a logging chain, same thing but for if it is moving the wind is blowing! LOL
Heck if the logging chain is moving, I'd think you were in the midst of a tornado! :)
LOL naaa, just where I live we are in a 'wind tunnel' the wind is always blowing! If it stops, then that is the time to worry LOL
Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 AM

Old Wives Tale: being Born in the Caul

This means that the amniotic sac doesn't break during the birth and the head is born still covered in the membrane. It doesn't happen very often even in natural births. It almost never happens in the hospital because the 'water' is so often broken artificially. Some say that a child born this way may have special intuitive powers, be destined to be a midwife, have extraordinary luck or never die by drowning.

My second son was born this way - and I think he has been very lucky in his life. I always tell people he is the kind of person who would fall into a bucket of doo-doo and come out smelling like a rose.

Once he was in a car accident (he was the driver) all the 4 other kids in the car were taken to hospital (nothing serious) and he was left on the side of the road without a scratch. There were no police charges either - and he was clearly in the wrong. I dont know how he got away with that one.

He has been very lucky in lots of things. Now if he could just win lotto so his mum could retire. :-D
Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 AM

I have actually seen it rain little frogs....in my grandmother's backyard when I was little. I also thought it was interesting that one day it rained on the other side of the road and our side was dry....again at my grandmother's.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LittleMo
Old Wives Tale: being Born in the Caul

This means that the amniotic sac doesn't break during the birth and the head is born still covered in the membrane. It doesn't happen very often even in natural births. It almost never happens in the hospital because the 'water' is so often broken artificially. Some say that a child born this way may have special intuitive powers, be destined to be a midwife, have extraordinary luck or never die by drowning.

My second son was born this way - and I think he has been very lucky in his life. I always tell people he is the kind of person who would fall into a bucket of doo-doo and come out smelling like a rose.

Once he was in a car accident (he was the driver) all the 4 other kids in the car were taken to hospital (nothing serious) and he was left on the side of the road without a scratch. There were no police charges either - and he was clearly in the wrong. I dont know how he got away with that one.

He has been very lucky in lots of things. Now if he could just win lotto so his mum could retire. :-D
I've heard this too....from memory in the old days didn't they save it as a talisman or something? Anyway, wish my second son was like yours.....one thing after another with my young fella....I could do with winning lotto, just to pay for the therapy I'll need to get through his and my life with some shred of sanity:)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:27 PM

My dad always said "the sun always shines on Saturday". Haven't seen one Saturday yet where it didn't shine even if it was just for a second.
He also said you get mositure 3 and/or 90 days from a fog. This one seems fairly true also.
A gal I worked with said if a mother carried her baby high it would be a girl and if she carried it low it would be a boy. She told her daughter she was going to have a girl while the doctor told her daughter the ultra sound showed a boy. After the birth the parents had to exchange all the boy clothes for girl clothes.
Never heard of a pully bone before!
Thanks for the interesting thread!!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen
ptquilts, is that because she didn't dig the hole deep enough?
LOL!